Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:42 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,428,029 times

Advertisements

I have dieted off and on my whole adult life. I would say half-successfully--I'm 30 pounds below my peak weight, but 30 pounds above what I should weigh. I've been to my goal weight a couple times but it did not stick. In the past, I've had spreadsheets, counted calories every day, weighed every day, took a real detailed approach.

Now I have a vivid mental picture of what my body ought to look like. And I know if I eat 1200-1500 calories per day of good real food, I'll get to what my body ought to look like. And I know that if I feel just a little hungry, I'm on the way to my goal. I have a big event to go to next spring, and I know if I stick with my plan, I'll be to my ideal weight.

I've decided to skip looking at the scale, just maintain the diet and stay aware of what I look like--and keep that mental picture in mind. When I get there, I'll weigh so I know what that number is. But I've decided to ditch the scale in between. Part of it is, my exercise program is adding some muscle over time, so "ideal weight" is a moving target.

Has anyone else done this, or does anyone have any comment about the role of the scale in dieting, or how you use it (or don't use it)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,248,052 times
If you truly eat good food you don't need to count calories or other complicated things. You just eat and when you had enough you feel full. A scale is unecessary in dieting. You should reevaluate your diet because even while this one is sort of working, long term it's obviously not and it probably causes you way to much stress.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,616,466 times
Using a measuring tape instead of the scale can be helpful.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,855,035 times
When my jeans get snug its time to cut back on food and amp up my exercise.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:06 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,646,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Using a measuring tape instead of the scale can be helpful.
This ^

Make sure you measure no more then once a week, and that you do it under the same conditions (when in the fasted state before breakfast on the morning of a workout, for example).

Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,576,210 times
I weigh daily and I also go by how my clothes fit. I'm in the process of losing weight, about 40 lbs., and it's been stalling. I know it's because I've been shooting to eat about 1,400 calories but I end up eating about 1,700. I know I need to start moving more and eating less. But because I'm eating less than I did a year ago, it's still nice to see the scale daily and see that I don't weigh as much as I did a year ago, and it's very encouraging for me.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:45 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,345,604 times
I go back and forth on this issue over and over. Most often, I weigh myself daily. It's sort of like an alcoholic who skips meetings, when I stop weighing myself, I stop being accountable to what I'm eating. Then I've flipped and thought I'm putting too much emphasis on the scale and stop. Problem is, I always gain weight when I stop weighing myself, so that's never worked.

Ultimately, though, it's a personal decision. I don't think there's a right answer. Everyone's habits and experiences are unique. It's good for some, others don't need it.

Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,646,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I go back and forth on this issue over and over. Most often, I weigh myself daily. It's sort of like an alcoholic who skips meetings, when I stop weighing myself, I stop being accountable to what I'm eating. Then I've flipped and thought I'm putting too much emphasis on the scale and stop. Problem is, I always gain weight when I stop weighing myself, so that's never worked.

Ultimately, though, it's a personal decision. I don't think there's a right answer. Everyone's habits and experiences are unique. It's good for some, others don't need it.
The problem with the scale is it doesn't tell you WHAT you gained. Water weight isn't the same as fat mass.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 AM

17,586 posts, read 39,300,145 times
People worry too much about the calories and the scale. Bottom line my weight started to MELT OFF when I ramped up my workouts at the gym. I only weigh myself these days because my husband bought a scale, otherwise I went by measurements and how my clothes fit. I think it is more important to work out, and eat what you want of good, wholesome food. (and never stuff yourself). I don't like to calorie count anymore than I like to weigh. If you do this, your body will level out where it is supposed to be, not what you think it should be.

Old 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,799,764 times
I have not stepped on a scale in years. I honestly have no idea what I weigh.

I go by how my clothes fit.

Over the years, I have gained, lost, gained, lost. For a long time, I was a slave to the scale. I allowed it to dictate how I felt and what my mood was.

Once I decided to ditch the scale, my attitude changed.

I walk religiously and I eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, protein, good fats, and limited carbs. I do not count calories. I do not eat until I am stuffed.

My clothes have gotten bigger (or have I gotten smaller?) and I feel 100% better. I can splurge on occasion and not feel guilt, because I do not know if the scale has a higher the next day or not, because I am not checking. After the splurge, I go back to what I do daily.

It works well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss