Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:56 AM

13 posts, read 23,498 times

Advertisements

Im an 18 year old male, currently at 226 down from the 270 I was about 8 or 9 months ago. And my weight has not changed in almost a month, Im never very active and have lost my weight by using myfitnesspals calorie tracker thing. Any idea as to why I have not lost any weight in the last month? Its like I've hit a brick wall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:07 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
As you lose weight, your calorie needs decrease. So if you're eating the same amount you were eating when you began your weight loss, you probably need to decrease your calorie intake or increase your exercise to get the weight loss going again.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BomaniChisulo View Post
Im an 18 year old male, currently at 226 down from the 270 I was about 8 or 9 months ago. And my weight has not changed in almost a month, Im never very active and have lost my weight by using myfitnesspals calorie tracker thing. Any idea as to why I have not lost any weight in the last month? Its like I've hit a brick wall
You have either hit a plateau or your calories consumed daily are not less than your activity or a combination of both.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:02 PM

479 posts, read 2,224,154 times
That is pretty common. It is definitely normal for your weight loss to slow down as you approach your goal weight. Don't let it discourage you though; you've done a great job!

Old 12-20-2014, 06:03 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,795,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
As you lose weight, your calorie needs decrease. So if you're eating the same amount you were eating when you began your weight loss, you probably need to decrease your calorie intake or increase your exercise to get the weight loss going again.
Yep, this...which is one of the major reasons people hit plateaus. You eat the same 2000 (or whatever) calories a day, which is enough of a deficit to lose weight until you hit the point where 2000 is the maintenance amount for you.

At this point, you either need to increase your calories burned, or decrease calories consumed. In my experience, it helps to try something new at this point: introduce a new exercise, or switch diets, or something radical to mix things up.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:59 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
take a diet break. two weeks of eating at maintenance

Old 12-23-2014, 10:07 AM

161 posts, read 297,211 times
I had the opposite problem of eating too little when I was dieting + exercising a lot. I had to eat another 200 or so calories to jump start the weight loss again.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:56 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
On the lighter side: I truly believe that this time of year, the "Santa Effect" takes place. So much aroma of sugar cookies, turkey roasting, gravy stuffing--even if we don't eat it or exercise moderation, just smelling the rich scents puts weigh on us.

Plus, like bears, we're gentically prone to putting on winter weight to carry us through the cold days to come.

Watch your carb intake (you know, the white carbs in cookies and bread and suffing), watch your portion control, and ramp up the exercise to get your metabolism rolling again. And be cautious with alcohol...it's got calories, too. Especially carb-y-beer and the dangerous high calorie egg nog!

But, maybe like me, you just take a wee break from calorie counting and enjoy the season's best (within reason).

Old 12-23-2014, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 33,591 times
You've hot a plateau, it happens. I don't know the specifics of your routine/diet, but in most cases it's from doing the same thing and eating the same thing, week after week.

If that's the case, make some changes and things will get moving again.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:41 PM

8 posts, read 5,935 times
Take a diet break, you need to relax and enjoy your self eat want you want within reason your body will thank you, remember if you have a healthy mind you will have a healthy body, Also you may want to change things up a little give yourself new goals and work towards those see how that goes.

Last edited by Susanalwayswins; 12-29-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss