Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 04:36 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,508,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
It's totally class-determined. Hit up a grocery store in Homewood or Mountain Brook just outside Birmingham and you will see people eating lots of organic, whole, unprocessed foods. Poor folks usually have more pressing issues they need to contend with. That's not to say all rich people eat well, but you get the jist.
Obesity seems to cut across all socio-economic levels as far as I can see.
I don't buy into this poor people are fat because they can only afford fast food BS.
They're fat because they're lazy.
Like the fat richer people.
I visit SE Asia a lot.They have wall to wall poor people and much,much less obesity.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM

375 posts, read 318,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Agreed. Taking a child out for fast food is tantamount to child abuse, in my opinion. And it disgusts me whenever I see Mcdonalds with play areas.

Seriously, Really? Even for an occasional treat? I used to take my three kids, when they were little, to McDs once in awhile to have lunch and play. As adults none are obese or anywhere near it! In fact, two of my boys are serious runners, lean, and about as fit as one could be!

Thinking about it further, My kids did grow up in the mid 80's and 90's when kids still spent most of the day outside and very active, as were most of their friends. In Texas, year round, outside. None were fat or even chubby. This was right before the internet/cell phones/technology really took off! Take a look around now!

Old 08-22-2018, 07:22 AM

375 posts, read 318,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a lot of meat but I don't have any issue at all finding good veggies here in NE Texas. Or fruit. In restaurants as well as in the grocery stores. We don't eat much red meat - we eat mostly fish, chicken, pork - basically in that order. Love me some pork ribs! LOL now I know those aren't diet food!

I just got back from the grocery store laden down with produce, most of which is locally grown. My gosh, the peaches...the tomatoes...the onions...the melons...this is a great time of year for that stuff. Oh and I almost bought some field peas, also locally grown, but I can't cook all that in the next few days and I go to the grocery store about twice a week so I'll get those next time! YUM. Going to make a big batch of cornbread to go along with those fresh veggies and peas. I'll probably make some sort of chicken to go along with it all. Or not - when it comes to those down home veggies, who needs meat? LOL Now bacon grease, yes...I have some of that saved back!

I also bought a bunch of New Mexico hatch chilies. TIS THE SEASON!
Ha, I was at the store the other day, saw the hatch chilies and thought, is it that time of the year already!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:29 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Ha, I was at the store the other day, saw the hatch chilies and thought, is it that time of the year already!
I lived in New Mexico a few years and this time of year they would be roasting them all over town in parking lots and you'd buy them in huge trash bags, miss those days and those yummy smells!

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a lot of meat but I don't have any issue at all finding good veggies here in NE Texas. Or fruit. In restaurants as well as in the grocery stores. We don't eat much red meat - we eat mostly fish, chicken, pork - basically in that order. Love me some pork ribs! LOL now I know those aren't diet food!

I just got back from the grocery store laden down with produce, most of which is locally grown. My gosh, the peaches...the tomatoes...the onions...the melons...this is a great time of year for that stuff. Oh and I almost bought some field peas, also locally grown, but I can't cook all that in the next few days and I go to the grocery store about twice a week so I'll get those next time! YUM. Going to make a big batch of cornbread to go along with those fresh veggies and peas. I'll probably make some sort of chicken to go along with it all. Or not - when it comes to those down home veggies, who needs meat? LOL Now bacon grease, yes...I have some of that saved back!

I also bought a bunch of New Mexico hatch chilies. TIS THE SEASON!
oh yeah, for sure there's lots of fresh produce and vegetables. All of the stores are good for that. It's just that as you know bbq is VERY popular here and there's little if any veggies to be found at bbq restaurants. Now other restaurants offer vegetables and vegetable dishes all of the time. definitely one cuisine doesn't define an entire region but there's at least one bbq restaurant in just about every town, lol.

I love red meat, so of course I'm fine with that lol...that being said, most days of the week I eat what comes from my kitchen.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:10 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
oh yeah, for sure there's lots of fresh produce and vegetables. All of the stores are good for that. It's just that as you know bbq is VERY popular here and there's little if any veggies to be found at bbq restaurants. Now other restaurants offer vegetables and vegetable dishes all of the time. definitely one cuisine doesn't define an entire region but there's at least one bbq restaurant in just about every town, lol.

I love red meat, so of course I'm fine with that lol...that being said, most days of the week I eat what comes from my kitchen.
Right on.

I'm not that big of a red meat lover, but I gotta admit that even I love some good BBQ. That being said, I don't eat it very often since I have always preferred veggies over meat. I could probably be a vegetarian without much of an issue but I just don't buy into the whole thing so I'll keep eating some yard bird!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:22 PM

240 posts, read 586,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
1. I know of no other country where supermarkets provide motorized wheelchairs for customers too fat to shop.
2. I've never passed through an airport anywhere other than the USA and seen those super-wide wheelchairs at the landing gate for passengers too fat to walk. I see wheelchairs,obviously,but they're literally half the size of the US version.
3. Cops that are so fat they're unable to give chase to criminals. Seriously how can law enforcement people do their jobs properly when they're obese ?
4. Appetizers in US restaurants are the same size as main courses in European restaurants.
5. A size XL in a US clothing store would be same size as an XXL or XXL anywhere else in the world.
6. Schools in the UK,France and German have been prohibited from having vending machines providing soda,candy and chips for nearly a decade.

You forgot one thing Roscoe. NURSES and other healthcare workers that are supposed to be pictures of the health that they represent that are morbidly obese as well. I am NOT talking pregnant either. Have worked with more than just a few of them......
As for #3, I think donuts are fattening. I know one particular lady who joined the police force. In the first couple of years she must have gained 50 pounds. It seems like a huge number of government paid people are obese. I include teachers, and many others that tax payers support. I worked in schools for years is the reason I mention teachers. By the way I am about 80 pounds lighter than when I first worked in schools but that's primarily because when I was on the edge of heart attack a doctor gave me the 3 choice ultimatum.
I thought it was hilarious a few years ago when high profile sort of government person was all concerned about obese children in schools and school food, not realizing that most of the obese kids have obese parents. They all eat out of the same trough.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:26 PM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ For some reason, what first popped into my head when I got up this morning was "How accurate are body fat percentage scales ?

I'd never looked up any related information, and was really open to any information.

This was the first thing I found:

How Accurate Are Body Fat Scales? | Berkeley Wellness

And this = a bit about the source:

About Us | Berkeley Wellness

Despite how Berkeley Wellness feels, I imagine that benefits other than 'how accurate' are helpful to many .

However, for me, given the credibility of the source and what I personally would want to get out of it, I'll probably pass on the current technology.

Right before looking up the above and logging on here, I decided to weigh myself. I haven't set regular times to weigh myself....sometimes doing it a few times a week, and sometimes going more than a month between times on the scale. The last time was probable between 1-2 weeks ago.

I'm two pounds lighter.

Now down to 191, and I've crossed the 60 lb loss threshold to 61 lbs.

After getting off the scale I tried to briefly summarize in my head what I've done:

I've lost 61 lbs in 520 days.

I started out just limiting my calories to between 1220 to the high 1900s per day, sometimes going over (but not too often at all), and generally trying to get as high a percentage of my calories from protein as possible.

I got down to 200 by New Year's Eve (52 lb loss in 299 days).

Between January 1, 2018 and early May 2018, I did the same, but probably let myself go over the high 1900s a bit more often than before, and I fluctuated between 200 and 206.

In early May I tweaked my diet, eliminating sugar, like KA eliminating gluten (and thanks KA for the past weight loss congrats message I got when I logged on today), getting my sodium intake just under 2,000 mg per day, and limiting my calories to between 1220 and 1470 per day (I think I've gone over 1470 once in the last 3 months). Since the last time I reported about my diet (late June?), I did another small tweak and cut my sodium intake almost in half, but did allow in a slight bit of sugar (about 12 grams a day) in the swap (still no gluten though), and I've now lost 15 lbs in about 3 months (early May? through today).
I weighed myself on Saturday (9/8) at 7:34pm Central Time (because it had been 18 months since I started this journey by weighing myself on 3/8/2017 at 7:38pm, 7:48pm, or 7:58pm....one of those 8's between 7:30-8:00pm ), and I weighed 189....I broke 190.

So, 63 lbs in 18 months (roughly 78 weeks).

When I was playing my best tennis , I was about 6' 3" - 6' 3 1/4" and weighed 172-175 (I eventually hit 6' 3 3/4" by the time I was 25, and have now shrunk to about 6' 3 1/4". I'm old enough to buy in a 55+ community, but too young for Medicare ).

The last time (prior to yesterday) that I looked at Novak Djokovic's profile on the ATP site, he was listed at 6' 2" and 172 lbs. When I checked yesterday (during the U.S. Open Final), he was listed at 6' 2" and 170 lbs.

The least I've weighed since turning 21 all those decades ago is 167. I don't want to get below 172 . When I get there, 172-175 will be fine .

Old 09-10-2018, 03:55 PM

240 posts, read 586,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
As for #3, I think donuts are fattening. I know one particular lady who joined the police force. In the first couple of years she must have gained 50 pounds. It seems like a huge number of government paid people are obese. I include teachers, and many others that tax payers support. I worked in schools for years is the reason I mention teachers. By the way I am about 80 pounds lighter than when I first worked in schools but that's primarily because when I was on the edge of heart attack a doctor gave me the 3 choice ultimatum.
I thought it was hilarious a few years ago when high profile sort of government person was all concerned about obese children in schools and school food, not realizing that most of the obese kids have obese parents. They all eat out of the same trough.
I think I better add to this: I make it sound like only a certain group is obese. This is totally untrue. There is no sector of the entire population that is any different. The ratio of the general population is no different. They just aren't treated to the same scrutiny.

I was morbidly obese at one time, too. It is not easy to get weight down. It easy though if you totally forget about all the insane diets and food mailed to you by the to numerous to mention companies that will mail you food so that you never learn how to shop and eat properly.

It's very sad how the rich, lazy and stupid people have become victim and customers to this garbage in the desperate mission to lose weigh and keep it off. Many of these people aren't rich just victims of another bunch of methods of getting rid of the little bit of money they do have.

My goal became to lose 14 gms or or 3 tsps. or 1 tbls per day 11.4 pounds per year. No self respecting American will do this, of course. If they can't lose 10 - 20 pounds at least per month the interest in weight loss drops drastically. I, of course, with that goal and weighing once a week and drinking at least twice the piddly recommended amount of water (half of which keeps the plumbing system tested) and doing 7 minutes of exercise morning and night lost a lot more than that.

It took a long time but I lost it at roughly the same rate as I gained it. It means not putting anything in your mouth that is not going help you reach your goal each day. It took quite awhile to lose 80 pounds. So?

This was of course after the doctor gave me the 3 options (detailed elsewhere). He made it clear there was much quicker and more painless ways to commit suicide than obesity.

Last edited by 13levine; 09-10-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 03:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I don’t think it’s the food I think it’s those bucket seats in American cars
It looks just like their backside and they never walk anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss