Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,969 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the help. Some really good suggestions. I will try add extra veggies to my sauces, and sweet fruits with the green veggies sounds foolproof. Honestly I am quite excited to try some of these things. I have been tol eating at certain times of a day helps too, for example don't eat right before going to bed and eat fruits and nuts in the morning. I generally get up at 7am for a jog I'll try that drink idea before or after I run and grill veggies with pasta do lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 03:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Also eat your pasta's and other carbs whole grain as much as possible. Most unhealthy foods you like probably don't need to be unhealthy with slight adjustments to them. Pizza for example is just another healthy meal as long as you make it with whole (unprocessed/unrefined) ingredients and balance things out a bit.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Also eat your pasta's and other carbs whole grain as much as possible. Most unhealthy foods you like probably don't need to be unhealthy with slight adjustments to them. Pizza for example is just another healthy meal as long as you make it with whole (unprocessed/unrefined) ingredients and balance things out a bit.
There is nothing healthy about a whole 18-inch bacon pizza. And yet, if I make it with whole wheat, live yeast, fresh tomatoes, bacon cured in a smoker in my back yard from a wild pig that I shot with a bow and arrow, organic mozzarella, and fresh basil from my garden, it would fit your criteria. On the other hand, a slice or two of that same pizza, with a side-order of wild field greens with roasted sunflower seeds and a nice tangy balsamic vinegrette, will be healthy.

It's not that he's eating pasta that's bad. It's not even that he's eating pasta made with bleached flour that's bad. It's that he points out that he eats a LOT of it. A lot of it is bad. A little is not bad. Not rocket science.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overweight athlete View Post
Thanks for all the help. Some really good suggestions. I will try add extra veggies to my sauces, and sweet fruits with the green veggies sounds foolproof. Honestly I am quite excited to try some of these things. I have been tol eating at certain times of a day helps too, for example don't eat right before going to bed and eat fruits and nuts in the morning. I generally get up at 7am for a jog I'll try that drink idea before or after I run and grill veggies with pasta do lunch.
If you have a blender or food processor you can always add veggies to your pasta sauce. With all the other seasonings you likley won't taste it.

Also, as suggested try a green smoothie. I've found that peanut butter and half a banana masks just about any vegetable.

How about a chopped salad? Toss in some diced grilled chicken and veggies, use shredded lettuce (some grocery stores sell pre-shredded romaine and kale in bags) and some lemon/lime, olive oil and seasonings...that is pretty tasty.

I prefer roasted veggies over any other cooking method. Cauliflower or brussel sprouts with a bit of olive oil and some roasted garlic from the grinder ....my faves! I put this Moderator cut: language removed everything: Spice Grinders | McCormick

Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There is nothing healthy about a whole 18-inch bacon pizza. And yet, if I make it with whole wheat, live yeast, fresh tomatoes, bacon cured in a smoker in my back yard from a wild pig that I shot with a bow and arrow, organic mozzarella, and fresh basil from my garden, it would fit your criteria. On the other hand, a slice or two of that same pizza, with a side-order of wild field greens with roasted sunflower seeds and a nice tangy balsamic vinegrette, will be healthy.

It's not that he's eating pasta that's bad. It's not even that he's eating pasta made with bleached flour that's bad. It's that he points out that he eats a LOT of it. A lot of it is bad. A little is not bad. Not rocket science.
The advantage of eating wholesome foods, especially fiber rich ones, is that they are much more filling instead of making you more hungry so you automatically (want to) eat less. For the rest I agree with your post.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Too much beer will pack on pounds......

Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Don't forget the hidden sugar OP which is in fast food, processed food, even things that look innocuous.

I suggest roasting your veges or I've seen those 600lb life shows where the person just ate the veges whether they liked them or not, then found they actually liked them after a while.
This. I read once that it takes about 10 tastes of something to start to like it. I actually did this with fish, cilantro, mushrooms, and a couple other items that I hated. Choose a couple disliked items and just take one bite of each a couple times a week. It shouldn't take more than 6 weeks to develop a taste for the items, or at least make them tolerable. Then choose a couple more items to add. It honestly worked for me, on everything except caraway seed. I still absolutely loathe caraway seed. Blech. But I love mushrooms now. The other stuff is tolerable.

Have you tried the flavored kale chips? I have some ranch flavored Super Eats brand that are pretty good. I can't taste the kale myself but I don't mind kale so it's possible someone who hates it might be able to taste it. Only 14 carbs and 4 grams of fiber. If you buy some and hate it, don't throw it out. Do the above to try to develop a taste.

They have all sorts of vegetable chips now, some better than others. Some are fried, so if you're watching fat intake, make sure to read the labels. They really don't taste much like vegetables to me, so they might be a good introduction for you to start getting used to them. Ideally you should be eating fresh veggies as they're much more filling. It's pretty easy to eat an entire bag of veggie chips. But you gotta start somewhere.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:23 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I would suggest green smoothies. You put the kale, cilantro, cucumber, spinach, chard, etc. in there with sweet fruits like banana, pineapple, strawberries and you can't taste the green stuff.

Also with regard to the fact that you exercise a lot and have not lost weight, it sounds like that is simply because you are taking in too many calories. You may burn a certain amount with your exercise, therefore maybe burning 2500 calories a day (counting being alive and breathing) but then if you're eating 3000 calories, that's no bueno.

OR, there is something wrong and maybe addressing the issue with a doctor may find a solution/answer.
I was going to write the answer in bold; somebody beat me to it.

I make a smoothy for my kids every day. It consists of approx 1-2 cups of low fat Greek yogurt (high protein, lower sugar than regular yogurt), 2 cups of green vegetable, either spinach or kale (I plan on experimenting with others, that's just what we've been using lately), a banana (banana is a strong flavor, can cover the kale), and 1-2 cups of mixed frozen fruit. Walmart sells big bags of mixed blueberries, strawberries, and cherries, and another one that is "tropical" that contains mango, pineapple, and strawberry. Good way to get variety without worrying that your fruit will go bad before you eat it. They split this mess four ways (one for husband, one for each of three kids) just to give you an idea as to how much it makes.

I steam the 2 cups of veggies in the microwave which reduces them down to about half a cup to one cup (spinach shrinks more than kale) and then I use a hand blender to mix it all up. I include the small amount of water that I use to steam the veggies in the smoothy, as it has all the vitamins in it.

I sometimes squirt a little bit of lemon juice in it, to give it a tart flavor, or add a teaspoon of vanilla for a sweeter flavor.

My kids gobble this up! I have a 4-year old boy whose only "regular" vegetable is sweet potato, but he will eat my yogurt-spinach-berry smoothy like it's a treat and beg for more.

I also add steamed and then pureed cauliflower to a lot of foods, like mac & cheese, meatloaf, meatballs and they never even know.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
The only thing about smoothies is the sugar.

Anything you put fruit in will have a lot of sugar.

Personally I barely eat fruit at all but I am a demon with vegetables, love them all.

I never used to like salad but I love it nowdays.

Actually my work colleagues were certain I was vegetarian because I always choose vegetarian. I love a nice steak as much as the next guy but it will be eaten with a load of fresh salad.

Some vegetarian dishes are DELICIOUS. I love a focaccia filled with roasted veges pesto and baby spinach YUM.

I adore pizza but avoid it like the plague as I don't find it filling. A homemade vege pizza on wholemeal pita, fine, but a proper made one from the pizza shop - I could eat the whole thing and still look for more.

OP the absolute best diet tip I ever got - apart from the Drink Water thing - was Eat 2 cups of vegetables every day.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The only thing about smoothies is the sugar.

Anything you put fruit in will have a lot of sugar.
In my humble opinion, and I am no expert, I get a little annoyed when people put down fruit because "it has a lot of sugar." I don't even like fruit myself. But here's what Forks Over Knives (health-conscious people) say:
"Sugar as it occurs in whole foods is not an issue; in fact, it is necessary and should be embraced. It’s a problem only when it is extracted from its natural package and used to excess."

This is my belief when it comes to fruit. Of course anything in excess is not good, but for God's sake, stop fretting over fruit, it's freaking God-made, like a vegetable. It is not bad for you.

When people say sugar is bad for you, I'm pretty sure they're referring to processed junk, added sugar, refined sugar, etc. Not a banana that God planted on this earth for our healthy consumption!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss