Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:55 PM

566 posts, read 592,393 times

Advertisements

Sean, are you working out, or running? How are you burning the fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM

380 posts, read 652,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
Sean, are you working out, or running? How are you burning the fat?
I started running when I got to 165 (I'm 155 now). The first 25 pounds I did no added exercise.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Dramatically reduce starch and increase vegetable and fruit consumption. Reduce dramatically or eliminate all wheat from your diet, that should be on top of the list. Go with a modified paleolithic diet approach and you will have more success.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:55 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Seriously, find a good healthy program that teaches you how to eat, eat what you want within the daily dietary guidelines, move more as in some form of exercise. You can walk, use a treadmill or whatever but you do not need to spend hours daily on exercise, that is overkill.

Get a physical exam with your Physician before you begin to ensure you are healthy overall then begin.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 AM

7 posts, read 5,767 times
The reason people gain weight is less due to the food they eat and more due to being over-hungry.
What causes being over hungry? Two major contributors are the extremely popular addictive and hormone affecting coffee and alcohol beverages. Both raise cortisol, interfere with sleep, increase stress, cause dependence and cause a toxic fat to be deposited in the viscera. If you want to naturally cut down on eating and increase your activity (which will happen naturally due to having more energy), eliminate caffeine and alcohol. It won't be easy quitting these highly addictive toxins, as some find quitting coffee for example more difficult than cigarettes. In addition there is a long post withdrawal period for both of these drugs with ongoing low energy and mood highlights. But give it 6 months to 2 years and the brain should normalize and quality even energy and mood should return. Weight loss should begin within 2 months of ditching these two if not sooner. Then you can focus on improving food quality once there two hunger primers are removed.

Last edited by kanks; 07-05-2015 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 05:56 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
I second the vote on Myfitnesspal. I have had the most success by writing down EVERYTHING I eat. Even if it's a bad day and I consume over my recommended caloric intake. We can't be perfect all the time.
I have still managed to lose 50# since last November.
I also weight daily, same time. Before breakfast. My weight fluctuates anyway due to hormone levels etc.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:59 AM

566 posts, read 592,393 times
Kanks, what you've said about coffee is a very strong statement.

We are a nation of coffee drinkers... we LOVE our coffee. I have one cup per day...not more.

I have a terrible problem with food cravings at the end of the day, even after a perfectly thought out low carb dinner.

Can you back up your coffee elimination with JAMA info? Or a few articles written by scientists?

You have my attention, and I might consider ghosting coffee if you could validate your statement.
I'd be willing to try it based on proof.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times
I drink coffee. Regular strength, with creamer and sugar. I only drink it 3 or 4 times a week. Not daily.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 5,767 times
There is a book called decaff diet that has a lot of references.
It's not an easy task. Most people quit the quit within two months. Same as with alcoholics. The reason is because once the acute withdrawal of headaches, acute low mood/depression, body aches, constipation and fatigues eases after a week or so, then begins a much longer post period of low energy etc, even at the same time experiencing the benefits of being much calmer (many people report the disappearance of generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder or at least a severe lessening of it) and having better sleep and feeling much, much less angry. It takes a while to be comfortable without it. As a former smoker who quit a long time ago, I remember it took about 2 years to where I felt normal after quitting with no more thought/cravings with a natural even mood. I think caffeine/coffee and alcohol and many additive things are similar. It requires a permanent quit and a while to normalize.

I think all the proof you need is just stop for a few days. How do you feel? Like you are dying?
How in the world can that be any good?

Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I am not sure why you are having such a hard time keeping fruits in the AZ heat. We spent 6 years in the Tucson areas. Are you leaving them in the hot car and doing other shopping after grocery shopping? Also, if you scoop out melon and put it in a sealed plastic container, it will keep longer and same with the other fruits. The fruits you mentioned are all very high in sugar content and the banana is both sugary and starchy. I would definitely look at celery and make sticks for snacks.

White flour and white sugar has to go if your are serious. I would drop the bread also. We eat oatmeal for breakfast, not the sugared kind. Keep in mind this isn't just about weight but about your health as the years go by.

One of the biggest enemies is eating after the evening meal which needs to be as early as possible, 4:00 pm is considered ideal but as early as possible is still good because most people can't get off work and prepare a meal by that time.

You'll need to understand just how many calories you are taking in. It will get more difficult to lose weight as you age so getting control over your diet now will pay big rewards in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss