Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 AM

59 posts, read 49,738 times

Advertisements

Eating over your maintenance calories makes you fat, not a particular food or beverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,509,228 times
“Wine makes every meal an occasion, every table more elegant, every day more civilized.”
To hell with the calories.I'd rather starve than give up a nice glass of Tempranillo with dinner.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times
If you are drinking a bottle a night, are you counting for those calories? You are consuming roughly 700 calories from that bottle of wine. That's an awful lot of additional calories in one's diet.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM

936 posts, read 822,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I have been drinking a lot of red wine lately and I have gained at least 20 pounds in the last couple of months. I admit that I have not been exercising like I suppose but never gained this much weight. Should I cut back on my wine intake?
Yes, wine (and all other forms of alcohol) can cause you to pack on pounds. You've developed a "wine belly" instead of a "beer belly."

Nearly everyone in my family is diabetic: Diabetics are taught to either avoid or limit their alcohol consumption because your body metabolizes it as a fat. One glass of wine usually counts as one carb/starch exchange as well as a fat exchange on a diabetic diet. This is true for everyone, whether they have diabetes or not.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Yes, wine (and all other forms of alcohol) can cause you to pack on pounds. You've developed a "wine belly" instead of a "beer belly."

Nearly everyone in my family is diabetic: Diabetics are taught to either avoid or limit their alcohol consumption because your body metabolizes it as a fat. One glass of wine usually counts as one carb/starch exchange as well as a fat exchange on a diabetic diet. This is true for everyone, whether they have diabetes or not.
Diabetics should limit their alcohol consumption because it can lead to low blood sugar. It has ZERO to do with fats. When your body is metabolizing alcohol the liver does not do a good job of releasing glucose into the blood. The result of that is low blood sugar.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,963 times
Drink wine instead of eating food. I lost quite some weight (and I'm super slim to begin with) by replacing a dinner with a bottle. On another hand, it's not really healthy, you know. To lose weight, I mean.

Men says they love white wines and skinny women, but truth is, they prefer red ones and women with some curves.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:27 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Its a balance. Wine has calories, consuming too many calories will make you fat. If you like to drink wine with dinner by all means do so, just compensate by adjusting your food intake. Quality of life is not something to be overlooked. I love wine so for me it means I have to make adjustments.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,549,779 times
update..okay I have cut back on the wine. I know its been only a couple of days but i have already lost about 5 pounds. I have also been walking everyday so thats helping too. I guess I will have to stay consistent before I become a wine stuff butter ball..LOL

Old 07-23-2015, 08:08 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post

I have a friend who is diabetic and she swears up and down that wine does not affect blood sugar. She buys the boxes of wine and downs a couple of glasses every night, more when we hang out and play cards. I just let her keep thinking that. She tests her sugar every day.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have a friend who is diabetic and she swears up and down that wine does not affect blood sugar. She buys the boxes of wine and downs a couple of glasses every night, more when we hang out and play cards. I just let her keep thinking that. She tests her sugar every day.
If you are going to blow calories on wine at least drink something worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss