Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 11:45 AM

29,797 posts, read 34,609,632 times

Advertisements

Do you even need to lose weight? You seem to be obsessing about the number on the scale, but that doesn't really have anything to do with how fit you are or how you look in your clothes. If you're otherwise eating well and training well and doing well, whatever the scale says is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 37,015,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilou0727 View Post
At first, I retried the diet for 2 weeks, working out a lot and was not loosing any weight. I have read article about restrictive diet and over exercising, so now I understand. But at that time, I was pretty depressed of this phenomena and my coach told me that it was because I was not pushing myself enough. Words can have strong power sometimes and I stopped the diet. Since, I can't hold the diet for more than 1 week, I always give it up for sometimes unhealthy such as cookies, chocolate. yes, sometimes I am hungry and my coach told me to get a protein shake but this is not the "kind of food" I am dreaming of when I am hungry.
I do have only whole wheat pasta and rice at home, but I am always afraid to eat too much of those. I don't drink milk but sometimes have cheese at home. Thank you for the link, I will look it up.

May be by trying to be to clean I made it too hard.
2 weeks isn't really enough time. Especially the "closer" you are to your ideal weight. A few questions, what age were you when you were 20 pounds lighter? How did you feel? Was your energy level good? How about performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you even need to lose weight? You seem to be obsessing about the number on the scale, but that doesn't really have anything to do with how fit you are or how you look in your clothes. If you're otherwise eating well and training well and doing well, whatever the scale says is irrelevant.
100% agreed on this one.

I think you should focus on improving your performance. And worry less about what is on the scale. The good thing about focusing on performance goals is that you can success along the way: you go faster, go harder, lift more weight, do more reps.....things that are east to measure and see progress with

Old 07-26-2015, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 4,893 times
I was 125 pounds 2 years ago so I was 24. I was in a different environment, living at Los Angeles, going to school and going to the gym for training. The weirdest part is I didn't even see myself loosing weight at that time, one day, I weighted myself and I was 122 pounds by doing nothing. I did feel great at that time, I felt more flexible, felt I could do more things in BJJ.
Fleetiebelle, I know I am not obese but I do feel I should some fat, especially on my hips, being leaner. I am not worried about the scale, I don't even have one at home, I occasionally weight myself at my gym , somethings like every 3 weeks.

I am just not sure which diets would fit me for losing those last pounds but not too violent that I can train without being tired.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM

22,699 posts, read 24,748,611 times
Try the same diet....just drop the snack and protein shake.

And yeah, if you have a cheat-meal, no biggie........make it as moderate as possible, then get right back onto your diet.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,010,241 times
I have a similar body type, and weigh a lot more than I "look". I was a competitive collegiate athlete many moons ago, and rowed on a lightweight boat (130 lbs MAX). I wore a size 0-2 clothes, but it was always ME running laps in the silver hot suit trying to lose a pound or two for weigh in. Muscle is more dense than fat, so is it possible now that you are competitively training, that you now have more muscle than you did when you were 125? Were you "skinny fat" then?

About the food....I'm currently losing weight after gaining way too much for many years. What has worked for me is tracking. Every bite that goes in my mouth gets logged and I aim for 1200-1500 a day plus a higher calorie day on Sunday. I focus on eating whole foods and have tried to avoid any fad diets. My typical day looks like this:

Bkfst: 2 eggs, spinach, sriracha
Snack: Smoothie with berries, unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 avocado OR 1/3 banana, and 1/2 scoop of protein powder
Lunch: Big salad with greens, tomatoes, peppers, a couple olives, rotisserie chicken, oil & vinegar
OR 1 piece of Ezekiel bread with a couple slices of turkey, cucumbers, sprouts, tomatoes, and cream cheese
Snack: Greek yogurt (plain) with a sliced up peach or apple, and a few almonds
Dinner: Chicken or pork with broccoli or cauliflower or brussel sprouts, and sometimes a small sweet potato, wild rice, or couscous (2x a week)

Also, drink tons of water every day.

If you tend to have larger thighs, hips, and a butt....and a smaller waist and arms...learn to embrace your shape because that will not change!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 4,893 times
Coastal Chic, thanks for your input. Back then, I was training a lot as well but I do feel that it is easier to eat healthy in Los Angeles than Chicago, not that I want to blame in on Chicago haha

I like your snack ideas, and I will try embrace the fact I have a generous derriere. Thank you

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM

96 posts, read 78,965 times
When I train for anything, I tend to weigh more than when I'm not training. Training, for me, requires a lot more calories than just being healthy/active does.

It's hard not to focus on the scale, but I do try to focus on how my clothes fit. I'm currently training for a marathon, but I keep a bag next to my closet, and every time I put on something that is now too big, it goes in there for the next time I donate to Goodwill. Even though the number on the scale has gone up a couple pounds recently, that bag is getting fuller. Focusing on that makes me happy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss