Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 4,879 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am just desperate for help.

I am a female, 26 years old, 145 pounds, 5feet 4. you might think that I don't really have weight issues. Well, I am a Brazilian jiu Jitsu fighter. I do practice it frequently and work out 6 times a week, sometimes twice a day. I don't think my problem is about working out more but it comes to my eating habits. I do feel if I keep going that way, not only i won't loose weight, but I will gain a lot more pretty soon.

My morphology is the following: my upper body is pretty slim, large shoulders but still ok. I do have a little tummy but nothing serious. My lower body is the issue. I have a pretty important butt and hips.

I got a diet from one of my coach at my MMA gym. Breakfast: either oatmeal or turkey bacon with egg. a little snack 2hs later. Lunch: vegetables with meat or fish, fruit and almonds for snacks later. Diner: vegetables with meat or fish with a little bit of couscous or other carbs in that category. I am also allowed to add protein shake before a work out.

They all say it is about motivation. I tried this diet once for 3 weeks and it worked great until thanksgiving showed up and i stopped everything. I re-tried many times but always give up after 1 week.

I don't know if I would find any advises here, read the words that will help me to go through this. I used to be 20 pounds less, where I think I should be. Please don't tell me to embrace life, that my weight it is ok the wait it is, i can barely look at myself in the mirror. Any messages, advises will be more than welcome.

I can fight on the mat but can't fight with my own body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 11:37 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
For one, stop trying a diet you've tried many times and keep quitting. Clearly, that's not a diet for you if you can't seem to stick with it.

I personally think the best thing for a person starting out is to sign up with one of the free websites such as MyFitnessPal or SparkPeople. You input your information, including your weight loss goals and current weight. It gives you recommendations on calories, carbs, fats, etc. you should be eating each day. You track everything you eat by entering it into the site. The tools make it fairly easy since most foods are already there. You just select them and say how much you ate.

Even if you only track for a week, I think it's a great way to get a baseline on what you're eating and which foods in your diet are causing your weight gain, or preventing your weight loss.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:43 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
So what exactly is it that you want to do? Lose the 20lbs?

Are you willing to put training on hold (or at least scaled back massively) while you do this?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
It sounds like your natural body type trends towards having a larger lower body.

So what is your problem? The number on the scale? The way your legs/butt looks in your clothing? The way your legs look in shorts? Your performance at jujitsu?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:02 AM

Thanks for your messages. I have used my fitness pale and it just made me crazy about the calories count.

McBain II, are you suggesting that I train less? cause I don't think I could do that, my sport is very important and if I stop it, I do believe it could make things worse.

Jade408, I liked the way I look with 20 pounds less but I am more concerned about my appearance and performance at BJJ.

Again thank you for taking the time to message me, I really appreciate that. Hope you are having a nice week end

Old 07-26-2015, 08:35 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,170 times
What is the reason why you can't stick with the diet? Hunger? A specific craving? The foods you list there seems pretty healthy but maybe a little too lean in total. Try adding things like whole wheat breads and add butter and the fattest cheese you can find to the bread. Fat and fibers make you feel full so in the end you eat less. When you eat other carbs (pastas, rice, tortillas, whatever) make sure they are whole grains too. If you drink milk drink the fattest you can find. Et cetera.

If you have specific cravings this list helped me a lot in the past:
Food Cravings? Here Is What Your Body Really Wants. - Daily Transformations

Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 AM

At first, I retried the diet for 2 weeks, working out a lot and was not loosing any weight. I have read article about restrictive diet and over exercising, so now I understand. But at that time, I was pretty depressed of this phenomena and my coach told me that it was because I was not pushing myself enough. Words can have strong power sometimes and I stopped the diet. Since, I can't hold the diet for more than 1 week, I always give it up for sometimes unhealthy such as cookies, chocolate. yes, sometimes I am hungry and my coach told me to get a protein shake but this is not the "kind of food" I am dreaming of when I am hungry.
I do have only whole wheat pasta and rice at home, but I am always afraid to eat too much of those. I don't drink milk but sometimes have cheese at home. Thank you for the link, I will look it up.

May be by trying to be to clean I made it too hard.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,245,170 times
The problem is not trying to be too clean, the problem is the question of what is clean.

If you read the internet and even this subforum you will learn from different people that fats, breads, egg yolks, carbs in general, fruits, diaries, legumes, et cetera will kill you. None of these will kill you and all of them contribute to a healthy varied diet that will satisfy you and make you feel full. The line between losing and gaining weight may be thin but it's much easier to distinguish it and adjust to it when you are satisfied and happy than when you are grumpy and craving all sorts of snacks.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilou0727 View Post
McBain II, are you suggesting that I train less? cause I don't think I could do that, my sport is very important and if I stop it, I do believe it could make things worse.
I ask because depending on how extreme your diet, it can affect high intensity training.

You might give this series a read: Fat Loss for Athletes: Part 1 : BodyRecomposition

Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 AM

Thank you for the information, I am starting reading and learning a lot. Since I injured myself (nothing too serious) I might go lighter with the training anyway.

I think I have to change my priorities. Be aware of what I eat, be less concerned about my appearance. I am like many other people, I wish I could loose weight fast, be able to fit in my pants and at the same time, increase my performances at BJJ. People say it is just about motivation, to make the change, it think it is very challenging especially living in the country where you are "pushed" to over consume food. I am not trying to make excuses for myself...or may be a little. I am just saying that It is difficult to resist to a nice restaurant, deep dish pizza (yes I live in CHicago, food is fatty but taste great).
Again thank you for your responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss