Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,316 times

Advertisements

I just decided to take things slower. I was just not getting enough nutrition on 1420 calories per day. I am just approaching it differently...and ...losing weight!

I have noticed, when I lose a pound or two...I am more hungry. Then, I'll consume more calories..like maybe up to 2000 fir that one day. Then, I stabilize the weight...and go back to losing. It has slowed down a bit for now, but I have had some minor health issues since February, and dealing also with PMS and peri-menopause, my hormones are all over the place.

The plateau has moved. I am now back to losing weight, and have lost 4 pounds in the past two weeks. I don't want to lose too much too fast. That just makes me plateau and stop losing. But also, not eating enough to keep satisfied, makes me stop losing the weight.

I also have increased my water consumption since experiencing a kidney stone back in 2011. Of course that helps. And I do not consume sodas. The rare times I do, and only drink the regular (not diet) soda, it makes me retain water up to 2 pounds for a few days. I treat soda as a food group, as it is sugar water with added carbonation. Mostly I just drink water. I will only have a Root Beer if I am having a hot dog or hamburger, and then not every time.

I also don't eat just rabbit food. I eat normal every day foods, just in moderation and using myfitnesspal to keep track and stop when I hit my goal for the day. If your body is not getting enough nutrition, it will not give up the fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:20 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,937 times
OP, your story could be me except I'm a lot older than you lol (41). I was always athletic and in every sport imaginable as a kid, and even was a competitive athlete in college. Then I stopped, but continued eating the huge amount of calories that I was when I was training for hours a day and put on some weight. Before I knew what happened, I was married, had kids, and was 50 pounds overweight!

Anyway, this year I decided that I didn't want to live like this anymore so I have been trying to find a healthy way of eating that I could do for life. I am not thinking of this as a weight loss plan, although that is the short term goal. I want to permanently change my eating for health reasons. I'm not getting any younger!

I have settled on "carb cycling" after trying low carb (which really works for weight loss but I personally will not be able to maintain for life eating low carb). I am following Chris Powell's plan (his Choose to Lose book is good!!). I'm the type of person who likes/needs to follow a "plan".....so I have chosen this plan as something I have found to be extremely easy & satisfying, and I don't feel like I'm on a diet! I've lost 25 pounds so far, with 25 more to go.

Mon-Wed-Fri are LOW CARB, HIGHER FAT days and 1200 calories. Eating foods with low carbs and higher fat makes you feel full, so staying at 1200 calories is pretty darn easy! For breakfast I eat eggs in a low carb wrap (he still wants you to eat something carby for breakfast even on low carb days), have a big salad with chicken for lunch, and dinner is pork or chicken with broccoli or cauliflower and butter or cheese for healthy fats. Snacks are a small handful of almonds or a cheese stick.

Tues-Th-Sat are HIGH CARB, NO FAT days and 1500 calories. Surprisingly, when you can't eat any fat on these days, you end up eating TONS of food just to get to 1500 calories!!! These are the days I eat a fruit smoothie for breakfast (my favorite one is 1 c unsweetened almond milk, 1 c frozen peaches, 1 c raw spinach, 1/2 banana, and 1 container of light & fit greek yogurt in coco vanilla flavor- it's delish!!!), 1/2 sandwich for lunch with deli turkey and veggies and an apple, or a 1/2 cup of rice or a sweet potato with my regular low-carb dinner. Snacks are yogurt, fruit, carrot sticks, etc.

Sundays are a FREE DAY (Within reason!!!). You can eat anything you want as long as you watch your portions. So you cold eat a piece of pizza, or have an ice cream cone or a piece of pie if you wanted to. You aren't to go over about 2200 calories on this day. For me, it's best to eat your "treat" in a restaurant and DO NOT bring it in your house so you won't be tempted.

Sorry for rambling, but I am just so thrilled with this way of eating, and it's not a plan you hear a lot about, so I wanted to share!

The key to weight loss, regardless of the plan you choose, is to track what you eat and reduce your calories by about 500 calories a day. If you pick the right foods, it's easy. Whole foods are full of nutrients and you can eat a lot more food for the same calories as junk food, so you stay fuller longer. After you eat healthy for a while, you really do stop craving the unhealthy food. I promise, it's true!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
wow, at that height, you need to lose 90 lbs. That's going to take a year of changed lifestyle/attitudes. and you're going to have to maintain that new style/attitude, or the weight will just come back.
Well ain't you just a little ray of sunshine?

I do think 90 lbs might be a bit excessive (insert sarcasm)--I'm 5'3" and shooting for 120 lbs. My SIL is 100 lbs at 5'2" and she is way thin and she has small bones.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM

60 posts, read 142,816 times
CoastalChic, Im definitely going to look into that diet. It seems like something I could do.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:52 PM

652 posts, read 873,710 times
Fat people shouldn't look at others or to others for guidance and self worth. They simply need to take a look in the mirror and tell themselves they hate themselves and use food a coping strategy and an effective form of self hatred. The next question they should ask themselves, how much longer are they going to continue their self hatred through excessive food rituals.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Fat people shouldn't look at others or to others for guidance and self worth. They simply need to take a look in the mirror and tell themselves they hate themselves and use food a coping strategy and an effective form of self hatred. The next question they should ask themselves, how much longer are they going to continue their self hatred through excessive food rituals.
This is some crazytown advice. Next up do you recommend people stay home till they get to a weight you approve of?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:43 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This is some crazytown advice. Next up do you recommend people stay home till they get to a weight you approve of?
That is not what he said. He is saying it comes from within. Comparing yourself to others does not work. You need to take a personal inventory, look at your body, if you hate it, change the way you eat.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
That is not what he said. He is saying it comes from within. Comparing yourself to others does not work. You need to take a personal inventory, look at your body, if you hate it, change the way you eat.
I disagree, his words were adversarial. Let's revisit his words here.

Quote:
Fat people shouldn't look at others or to others for guidance and self worth. They simply need to take a look in the mirror and tell themselves they hate themselves
You should not have to or be required to "hate" yourself when you look in the mirror. That is counter-productive. Valuing yourself makes it a lot easier to make good decisions about yourself and your health.

Quote:
and use food a coping strategy and an effective form of self hatred. The next question they should ask themselves, how much longer are they going to continue their self hatred through excessive food rituals.
Some people, at many weights, use food as a coping strategy. It maybe self-hate. It maybe stress. It maybe self-medicating. Or something else entirely, but starting from a point of hating yourself is 100% the wrong way to approach things.

The best thing today is set some goals on how to be "your best self." And determine what your path is to get there. That is maintainable. That builds your self-worth.

You have value no matter what your current weight is or what you look like now. You have value as a person at any size. And you should find your own path to the best version of you, but you don't have degrade yourself on the way.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Another inspiring ray of sunshine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The best thing today is set some goals on how to be "your best self." And determine what your path is to get there. That is maintainable. That builds your self-worth.

You have value no matter what your current weight is or what you look like now. You have value as a person at any size. And you should find your own path to the best version of you, but you don't have degrade yourself on the way.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss