Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 03:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,916,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I went to see a doctor who took a blood test and said that i should stay away from heavy carbs. So all I had to do is stop eating brad and rice and to loose like 1-2 lbs a week.

If you go to a doctor, do a blood test and see what food is making you fat. from then it seems easy
The same doctor put you on a prescription drug that you claim is making you ill. In addition, a blood test doesn't tell you what foods make you fat. You don't need a blood test to know what's making you fat. If you're eating too much carbs, you already know that, and no blood test is necessary. In addition, your term "heavy carbs" makes no sense at all. Unless by "heavy" you mean "too much" in which case you don't even need a doctor to tell you that.

Lastly, starches are only one type of carbs. If you are eating a lot of sugars - such as soda, or sweetened dairy (like cheesecake, which has no starch in it at all), then you're still eating a lot of carbs.

Rather than stop eating bread and rice and assuming you're going to lose weight, try portion control, and reducing your *starch* and *sugar* intake. Don't worry about whether or not a food you're eating has carbs in it - because most vegetables do, and you need to eat your vegetables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 04:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,447,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The same doctor put you on a prescription drug that you claim is making you ill. In addition, a blood test doesn't tell you what foods make you fat. You don't need a blood test to know what's making you fat. If you're eating too much carbs, you already know that, and no blood test is necessary. In addition, your term "heavy carbs" makes no sense at all. Unless by "heavy" you mean "too much" in which case you don't even need a doctor to tell you that.

Lastly, starches are only one type of carbs. If you are eating a lot of sugars - such as soda, or sweetened dairy (like cheesecake, which has no starch in it at all), then you're still eating a lot of carbs.

Rather than stop eating bread and rice and assuming you're going to lose weight, try portion control, and reducing your *starch* and *sugar* intake. Don't worry about whether or not a food you're eating has carbs in it - because most vegetables do, and you need to eat your vegetables.

Look lady,

There is a special doctor that can order tests and tell you what food you should and should not eat.

In my case I was told to eat more fat and protein and skip on heavy carbs. I was trying to loose weight so I was trying to cut on fat and eat bread and rice.

My dad was told the same thing (Eat steak, but no bread), mom was told to eat more carbs and less fats. Inside carbs there is a chemical compound she has to watch out for as well.

Here is what I mean by high carbs foods
High Carb Foods | MD-Health.com
So I eat chocolates, vegetables, like 1 potato a week, 2-3 wraps a week...
I try not to drink more then 2 beers a week, I do love beer ! Not so long ago I thought to myself, I love beer so much, what if doctors tell me I can't have it, will I drink it anyway and figure I die when i die... Maybe drinking to much beer made me this way.

I always had a tendency to eat the meats and mistreat carbs, I only ate carbs because I thought it was healthy. You know the food pyramid, lol... I was eating oatmeal for breakfast and jogging and gaining fat. Now I eat pepperoni and mozzarella for breakfast, put lot's of regular milk in my morning coffee and walk in a park for exercise and loose weight.

See I have a good metabolism (the above mentioned doctor tested it, it's better then average), only my liver is screwed up and does not like carbs.

Since today is Friday I had 2 slices of pizza (they buy us lunch at work, but we do not always get to pick what it is)

Lats Friday I weighted myself at 220, then I went to my High School reunion, since I love beer and Beer has less alcohol then all other drinks, I was drinking it all night. On Monday i was 225. Today I am 220 again.

This stuff is the biggest set back in my fat loss. It happens like every other weekend, so I lost only 20 lbs in 2.5 month.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,351,383 times
Quote:
Look lady,

There is a special doctor that can order tests and tell you what food you should and should not eat.

In my case I was told to eat more fat and protein and skip on heavy carbs. I was trying to loose weight so I was trying to cut on fat and eat bread and rice.
Please, OP, ignore the snarky people on this thread who are trying to hijack your question to suit their agenda. You had one question, and the answer is simple: If the pills are not making you feel well, absolutely, stop taking them.

As for everything else, clearly, you have found a way to lose weight that you are happy with and is working for you. So keep doing it. It sounds to me like your doctor, maybe with helpful intentions, took something that was working and tried to "make it even better". It didn't work, so go back to what was working.

I understand your question (really, it wasn't that hard to get). Would the side effects from the pills diminish if you kept up with them? Maybe. But my personal philosophy is don't take pills if you don't need them. It didn't sound like you needed them. So even if the side effects went away after a while, I still would toss them in the can since you were doing just fine without them.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,916,489 times
Quote:
Look lady,
Your question was about a drug your doctor suggested you take. Now you're arguing about your diet and justifying bad eating habits. Either you care about your health or you don't. If you care about your health, you will change your diet because whether you lost weight or not, your diet is not healthy. If you don't care about your health, you don't need to stop taking those pills, because it doesn't matter if they're good for you or not.

And if you aren't interested in opinions of strangers on the internet, you won't ask strangers on the internet for their opinions.

Last edited by AnonChick; 08-07-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 09:13 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,870,005 times
Quote:
Look lady,

No there isn't.

This makes no sense.

My dad was told the same thing (Eat steak, but no bread), mom was told to eat more carbs and less fats. Inside carbs there is a chemical compound she has to watch out for as well.
What chemical compound?

Here is what I mean by high carbs foods
High Carb Foods | MD-Health.com
So I eat chocolates, vegetables, like 1 potato a week, 2-3 wraps a week...
I try not to drink more then 2 beers a week, I do love beer ! Not so long ago I thought to myself, I love beer so much, what if doctors tell me I can't have it, will I drink it anyway and figure I die when i die... Maybe drinking to much beer made me this way.
You need to decide what is more important. Losing weight or drinking beer.

I always had a tendency to eat the meats and mistreat carbs, I only ate carbs because I thought it was healthy. You know the food pyramid, lol... I was eating oatmeal for breakfast and jogging and gaining fat. Now I eat pepperoni and mozzarella for breakfast, put lot's of regular milk in my morning coffee and walk in a park for exercise and loose weight. Oatmeal will not make you gain fat unless you eat too much of it. It is a very healthy food. Much healthier than pepperoni.

See I have a good metabolism (the above mentioned doctor tested it, it's better then average), only my liver is screwed up and does not like carbs.
Carbs will not screw up your liver. And how do you know your liver is 'screwed up'?

Since today is Friday I had 2 slices of pizza (they buy us lunch at work, but we do not always get to pick what it is)
Pack your own lunch and you will not be in this position.
Lats Friday I weighted myself at 220, then I went to my High School reunion, since I love beer and Beer has less alcohol then all other drinks, I was drinking it all night. On Monday i was 225. Today I am 220 again.
One beer has the same alcohol as a glass of wine or a vodka tonic. If you drink it 'all night' you may have a problem.

This stuff is the biggest set back in my fat loss. It happens like every other weekend, so I lost only 20 lbs in 2.5 month.
20 lbs in two months is a good loss. I do not know why you are complaining. I would however get correct information about nutrition because you really have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:59 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,919,894 times
Quote:
I went to see a doctor who took a blood test and said that i should stay away from heavy carbs. So all I had to do is stop eating brad and rice and to loose like 1-2 lbs a week.

If you go to a doctor, do a blood test and see what food is making you fat. from then it seems easy
Did you go to a weight loss clinic in NYC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss