Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times

Advertisements

^Thanks a lot. As I said, I don't eat pasta that much...but now I'm thinking about a couple of meatballs and some sketties and it just so happens that a friend of mine made homemade sauce a month or so ago and asked if she could store it in my freezer because she didn't have room...there are five small containers and she said feel free to take one or two and use them if I want. I think this is going to be dinner tomorrow night.

I won't forget the big salad--have been getting some great fresh lettuce from a Jersey farmer with a stand set up on the street in Manhattan this year. So juicy, I don't even use dressing. Just add the cukes and tomatoes I grew behind my condo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 04:57 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,866,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Thanks a lot. As I said, I don't eat pasta that much...but now I'm thinking about a couple of meatballs and some sketties and it just so happens that a friend of mine made homemade sauce a month or so ago and asked if she could store it in my freezer because she didn't have room...there are five small containers and she said feel free to take one or two and use them if I want. I think this is going to be dinner tomorrow night.

I won't forget the big salad--have been getting some great fresh lettuce from a Jersey farmer with a stand set up on the street in Manhattan this year. So juicy, I don't even use dressing. Just add the cukes and tomatoes I grew behind my condo.
I don't use regular lettuce (bib/Boston, iceburg) in my salads. I use field greens, aka spring mix, aka mesclun, and sometimes include romaine but usually not. Basically it's any combination of:

dandelion greens
mustard greens
radicchio
baby spinach
baby curly endive (chicory)
kale
frisee
arugula
rocket
oak leaf (red or green or both)

I started eating spring mix maybe a dozen years ago and I've preferred it ever since. MUCH more nutrition than bib or iceburg, and a more interesting combination of flavors.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 PM

88,869 posts, read 85,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't use regular lettuce (bib/Boston, iceburg) in my salads. I use field greens, aka spring mix, aka mesclun, and sometimes include romaine but usually not. Basically it's any combination of:

dandelion greens
mustard greens
radicchio
baby spinach
baby curly endive (chicory)
kale
frisee
arugula
rocket
oak leaf (red or green or both)

I started eating spring mix maybe a dozen years ago and I've preferred it ever since. MUCH more nutrition than bib or iceburg, and a more interesting combination of flavors.
I like spring mix, too. This summer, though, I've been buying a bunch of romaine and a bunch of red leaf from a farm stand near where I work. It's so fresh i don't want dressing.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

60 posts, read 143,638 times
I did end up losing the 5 pounds I thought I had gained plus 8 pounds off my original weight.

I've heard a lot of great things about low carb diets but I know I would not maintain it. I'm struggling with my current diet. I have decreased my carbs from what I was eating before and I eat way more veggies now but I honestly hate it. Salad is disgusting to me and I think I'm losing weight from eating much less just because I hate these healthy foods and would rather not eat at times.

I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food and enjoy it too much and I need to work on that

Old 09-01-2015, 10:58 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,422,725 times
How about you start eating foods you enjoy. I know I could never give up coffee, dairy, or meat. So I would never go vegan or vegetarian low calorie to lose weight. I eat what I love. Why waste the calories on food you don't like.

You will never see me eat cottage cheese unless it's in a recipe. Yuck. Even if my diet plan called for it, I would find a substitute.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 PM

60 posts, read 143,638 times
I've been trying to find healthy foods that I like and that are easy to make and carry to school and work. I just haven't found many. The one food group I dont like, veggies, seems to be the only food group that i can eat if I don't want to be fat. Some days I really do wonder if being skinny is worth it if I have to spend the rest of my life eating veggies for every meal.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,578,862 times
I don't know too many people who don't like steak, or bacon, or a nice pork fillet, or a juicy piece of chicken or a hamburger (with tomato, pickles, and no bun).

If you like these foods like I do, try having more of that at least for one meal a day (suppertime?) and start skipping your bread, pasta, potatoes and rice. You might be amazed how satisfied and full you feel. Give it a try. Go light on the salt and drink LOTS of water.

Good luck! Dieting sucks, but so do tight fitting clothes and not wanting to look in a mirror.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,966,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
I did end up losing the 5 pounds I thought I had gained plus 8 pounds off my original weight.

I've heard a lot of great things about low carb diets but I know I would not maintain it. I'm struggling with my current diet. I have decreased my carbs from what I was eating before and I eat way more veggies now but I honestly hate it. Salad is disgusting to me and I think I'm losing weight from eating much less just because I hate these healthy foods and would rather not eat at times.

I think I have an unhealthy relationship with food and enjoy it too much and I need to work on that
Have you tried zucchini noodles? Delicious with sauce and meatballs or sausage. I make mine with a julienne peeler but I am considering buying a spiralizer since I am making these so often. After I started eating them my husband and son started. They're not fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss