Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:38 PM

60 posts, read 143,021 times

Advertisements

I've been on a diet for about 2 weeks now but the last time I weighed myself was last Monday. I was 192 and today I am 197. I haven't eaten more than 1600 calories any day since I've started dieting. I haven't had any cheat days and I'm more active than I was before I started trying to lose weight. I know I cant expect results too fast but I was hoping to at least lose a pound. If I'm gaining so much weight while on a 1600 calorie diet, how low do I have to drop my calories? It's so discouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 04:45 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
I've been on a diet for about 2 weeks now but the last time I weighed myself was last Monday. I was 192 and today I am 197. I haven't eaten more than 1600 calories any day since I've started dieting. I haven't had any cheat days and I'm more active than I was before I started trying to lose weight. I know I cant expect results too fast but I was hoping to at least lose a pound. If I'm gaining so much weight while on a 1600 calorie diet, how low do I have to drop my calories? It's so discouraging.
We need a lot more information from you. Start here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/diet-...orum-read.html

In a very general sense, it could simply be glycogen stores/water weight, but with more information we can pinpoint the issue better.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:59 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Yes, more info would help. Gender, age (range), height, weight loss goals.

Other first thoughts: Did you weigh yourself on the same scale and at the same time of day? I find I get the most consistent "reading" when I weigh myself first thing in the morning, before I've gotten dressed and before I eat/drink anything. You'd be surprised how much your weight can fluctuate in one day, especially if you weigh yourself with clothes on.

Also, how are you counting calories? Are you weighing or measuring, or are you "eyeballing" things?

Finally, are you sure you're counting everything? Weight Watchers has a saying (I hate their sayings, but they do stick with you) "Don't forget to count BLT's - Bites, Licks, Tastes". They can add up in bigger ways than you realize.

Bottom line, I'm sorry--I understand your frustration. I've been there. It can be REALLY discouraging, but try not to let it deflate you. Stick with it, and you WILL see results!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:22 PM

60 posts, read 143,021 times
Sorry everyone. I'm a girl, 20 years old. I'm 197 as of this morning and I want to be in the 130s. I've been doing a 1600 calorie diet and walking 2 miles a day.

I did weight myself on the same scale and first thing in the morning like last week. I've been measuring everything I eat to make sure I get the calorie count right and drinking a weight loss shake for one meal which has the calories on the bottle. Ive been eating boiled eggs, salads with baked chicken and vinegar instead of dressing, cheese sticks (90 cals) or 100 calorie bags of popcorn as snacks, apples, tuna and salad in pita bread, and for meals like spaghetti or chicken and rice, I measure my portions very carefully. I drink a crystal light packet every day, no soda or juice.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:53 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Could just be water retention from your monthly cycle, which can affect scale measurements for women. It sounds like you're pretty vigilant with calorie intake, so I doubt you're actually gaining any weight except water weight.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Make sure you drink enough water...plain water. 64-128 ounces each day. Yes, you will pee a LOT. But it will help keep you hydrated and flush out everything. Get a 32 ounce water bottle and just sip, sip, sip all day.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:36 PM

605 posts, read 705,536 times
Keep with it! Don't fret too much over fluctuations day-to-day; as long as you are on a down-ward trend long term, that is what counts.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:30 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
It definitely sounds like you're doing everything right. Did you lose much weight your first week?

Like PeachSalsa said, water is your friend. I drink 64 oz of plain water a day. (A Crystal Light or a diet soda is a "treat drink" that doesn't count toward the 64 oz.) The main reason I make myself drink the water every day is to prevent big fluctuations in my weight (I weigh myself daily). Your level of hydration can create huge swings in your weight. If you didn't drink enough, you can get what I call a "false low". Your weight is down on the scale, but it's not really. Then you weigh yourself next time, you're more hydrated, and it looks like you've gained when you didn't. That can really mess with your head. Thus, I make sure to drink my water every day so I know the weight is the weight and not water.

It's the only thing I can think of. It's possible when you weighed yourself last week, you weren't hydrated and had a "false low". Or, like McBain said, it could be natural fluctuations thanks to your cycle.

Bottom line is, try not to let one week get you down (easier said than done, I know). It sounds like you're on a good plan, you are working hard, and you WILL see the benefits.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times
Try cutting out the bread and pasta for a week and see if it changes.

I can eat bread or pasta and my scale will measure 3 lbs heavier the next morning. For whatever reason, it can really bloat some people out.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channing20 View Post
Sorry everyone. I'm a girl, 20 years old. I'm 197 as of this morning and I want to be in the 130s. I've been doing a 1600 calorie diet and walking 2 miles a day.

I did weight myself on the same scale and first thing in the morning like last week. I've been measuring everything I eat to make sure I get the calorie count right and drinking a weight loss shake for one meal which has the calories on the bottle. Ive been eating boiled eggs, salads with baked chicken and vinegar instead of dressing, cheese sticks (90 cals) or 100 calorie bags of popcorn as snacks, apples, tuna and salad in pita bread, and for meals like spaghetti or chicken and rice, I measure my portions very carefully. I drink a crystal light packet every day, no soda or juice.
Switch the apple out for berries (any kind), around the same weight. You'll get MUCH more nutrition for fewer calories and less sugar.

That tuna - is it tuna salad, or tuna straight from the can, or did you cook it and skin it yourself from raw? Makes a big difference! If it's from a can, drain the liquid, then fill the can up with tap water, and drain it again. It's got a lot of sodium in it.

Ge rid of the crystal light. If you're going to drink lemonade, drink real actual lemonade, made with lemons, water, and a little honey or even the dreaded sugar.

The popcorn might also be causing problems. Pre-packaged popcorn is usually made with partially hydrogenated vegetable fat and tons of salt. If you insist on popcorn, pop it yourself, from scratch, in a pot or an air-popper. Use real melted butter to flavor it IF you need to flavor it, don't salt it at all.

However much spagetti you're eating, eat less of it. If it's a big bowl, make it a little bowl and add more vegetables. Those veggies shouldn't just be lettuce by the way. Your salad should have LOADS of green leafy veggies in it, and red peppers, onions, green peppers, carrot, maybe some berries, sunflower seeds or almond slivers, a little radiccio, etc. etc. etc. If it's just lettuce, then you're definitely eating too many calories of something else, because lettuce has hardly any calories in it at all, and very little nutritional value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss