Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 08:39 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, never noticed that correlation.

I was watching a documentary on the Seventies last week. It was old news footage of real people such as NOW and early gay pride protesters and other events of the era, and it struck me how thin most people were. There were very few obese people in that footage. Hell, I was underweight in the Seventies myself!
I was totally normal weight in the 70s too. Probably around 30 lbs. at age 3, and 100 at age 13.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:58 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I was totally normal weight in the 70s too. Probably around 30 lbs. at age 3, and 100 at age 13.
Hahaha, wise guy.

I was a teenager for most of the 70s. I weighed 130 pounds, sometimes less. I was also 6'1" by the time I was 14 years old.

As you might have guessed, I am not a girl who was ever asked to the prom...

Old 08-13-2015, 01:53 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, wise guy.

I was a teenager for most of the 70s. I weighed 130 pounds, sometimes less. I was also 6'1" by the time I was 14 years old.

As you might have guessed, I am not a girl who was ever asked to the prom...
I was short, but had red hair and freckles and was never asked to the prom and in fact had to guilt 2 of the 3 guys who went with me into it.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:56 PM

96 posts, read 78,396 times
I eat breakfast every morning. Because I know my body and I know I need to. My hubby doesn't always eat breakfast. He's still healthy and normal weight. When he eats breakfast, he most times skips lunch. I have to eat 3 times a day or I get cranky and start to feel nauseated.

Everyone is different. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. People would be so much happier if they realized that.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:42 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
In all my many years of being dedicated to health and athletics, studying fitness, researching nutrition, training others, speaking with industry experts, learning the best ways to fuel my body, even working with experts in the field of eastern medicine (qi gong and tai chi), I have NEVER heard anyone say "dont eat breakfast because your digestive juices arent flowing so you wont digest your food as well". That is ridiculous even for the internet.
Well you're right--I was going off my own experience, which is that when I'm not hungry and I eat, the food just seems to sit there and not digest very well. However, just because you've not heard of it does not mean it's invalid--I know a lot about books too but I'm always finding new stuff I've not heard of. It just seems pretty intuitive to me.

Anyway I am always more successful at watching my weight when I listen to my body and my body tells me I'm not hungry till later.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,980,231 times
I'm with stepka here. You eat when you are hungry, not before. The problem arises when one needs to eat before getting hungry because if one doesn't you're gonna get pretty hungry when you can't eat! That was my pattern for several years. I could not eat at breakfast time so I got hungry until morning tea when I could eat. I did resolve that problem finally and it had nothing to do with my body. My brain simply wasn't waking up properly in the morning!

On weekends I don't have breakfast. I have a small early lunch and a small low carb dinner. If I was more active on weekends I would no doubt eat more, including breakfast.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:54 PM

695 posts, read 714,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I was short, but had red hair and freckles and was never asked to the prom and in fact had to guilt 2 of the 3 guys who went with me into it.
I didn't even want to attend my prom, but freckled, red-headed girls were always my favorites to go on dates with.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Remarkable, King's Gambit. When I eat crap the night before, I'm not hungry in the morning. When I overindulge on drinking the night before, I'm not hungry in the morning. If I sat on my butt all day long, snacked all day, and ate late in the evening instead of the usual suppertime, I'm not hungry the next morning.

That must be WHY I'm not hungry the next morning, since - if I ate at a reasonable hour, had plenty of time to digest before laying down to sleep, ate a reasonable healthy supper, was physically active during the day, and didn't snack all day long - I tend to be hungry at breakfast time.

So for me - not being hungry in the morning isn't because my digestive system isn't whatever blah blah blah. It's because I did stupid crap the day before. I wonder how many other people would come to the same conclusion if they took a real honest look at their daily habits (and kept the hyperbole, rhetoric, and ego out of internet fora to brag about how their bodies are too special to respond like normal people).

Old 08-15-2015, 09:39 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
So for me - not being hungry in the morning isn't because my digestive system isn't whatever blah blah blah. It's because I did stupid crap the day before. I wonder how many other people would come to the same conclusion if they took a real honest look at their daily habits (and kept the hyperbole, rhetoric, and ego out of internet fora to brag about how their bodies are too special to respond like normal people).
Funny, my body does the opposite of yours and it's not because I'm claiming to be a special snowflake. I also don't think anyone else is claiming such but we are pointing out that everyone reacts somewhat differently and that's why not all diets work in the same way for all people. I know some folks do great on low carb and others fail miserably and some folks thrive on eating breakfast and others don't want anything until 3 or 4 hours later. Why is that so hard for some folks to understand? Why do you come on here and accuse folks of claiming to be special when in fact they just react differently than you do? What is a normal person? You? LOL.

The one thing that I think that we can claim is universal though is that it's a bad idea to eat when you're not hungry and that's what gets more of us in trouble with our weight than anything else. Also, the only "diet" that is proven to boost health and extend lifespan is caloric restriction, however one chooses to implement that. I implement it by skipping breakfast and eating fewer meals that will raise my blood sugar and thus insulin level. Also, the meals are less depressing that way.

Last edited by stepka; 08-15-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 08-15-2015, 11:30 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Why do you come on here and accuse folks of claiming to be special when in fact they just react differently than you do? What is a normal person? You? LOL
Well said. I think some people on this forum need to spend less time ridiculing everyone who doesn't conform to their views, and more time considering the beneficial effects of anti-depressants on the personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss