Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 09:15 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,736,809 times

Advertisements

Hi, starting to get back into running and heading to the gym trying to do it 3 days a week. On average working out 6 day's a week. 4 days of running and 3 days of lifting. Walk on average, not working out, probably 18-20 miles a week.

Haven't take supplements or multi vitamins either.

Curious and seeking feedback if I should look into a protein shake and taking multi vitamins?

Appreciate any insight again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,947,146 times
My trainer likes for me to have 20g of protein immediately after lifting. I don't tolerate protein shakes so I usually eat eggs, chicken or meat afterwards. If you can tolerate the whey protein shakes they are a pretty convenient way to get extra protein but I think you can use eggs, meat or chicken if you prefer that.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,929,073 times
My husband drinks protein shakes after lifting. He's seen pretty decent results over the last six months (got too big for his suit coats) and he says the protein shake helps keep him from being really hungry the next day, which happens otherwise. He's figured out that using sugar free flavored syrups in the protein shake helps cover up the chalky taste.

If you're also cutting calories, the multivitamin might be helpful to compensate for anything your diet is lacking.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,840,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hi, starting to get back into running and heading to the gym trying to do it 3 days a week. On average working out 6 day's a week. 4 days of running and 3 days of lifting. Walk on average, not working out, probably 18-20 miles a week.

Curious and seeking feedback if I should look into a protein shake and taking multi vitamins?

I'd suggest getting your nutrition levels checked - it's a simple blood test, typically done right along with your yearly CBCs. That way you can find out if you're at a healthy level on things, if you're deficient on anything -

also take into consideration what you're currently eating.

Are you already getting enough protein? Are you already getting enough vitamins and minerals? How much more will you need, while you're increasing your exercise level?

You need to figure that out before you just start taking supplements. No one can really answer that question for you until you find out where you -are- currently, nutritionally.

A typical daily multivitamin (such as you'd find in the local CVS or supermarket supplement aisle) won't hurt, but it also might not be of much use, either. It all depends on your current levels, compared with your future needs.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:14 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,111,398 times
Quote:

If you're lifting, you need need higher protein intake (shoot for 1g/lb of LBM at minimum) but whether that comes from food or a protein shake doesn't matter much.

A cheap multivitamin couldn't hurt.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 AM

9,913 posts, read 7,736,809 times
^^^^Was told that protein over 30g will convert to fat I think. Was thinking using the shake as a meal replacement after lifting. Found one that has about 20g of protein, 210/220 calories, and think less or equal to 60 calories of fat. Not much sugar or sodium either.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,947,146 times
Quote:
^^^^Was told that protein over 30g will convert to fat I think. Was thinking using the shake as a meal replacement after lifting. Found one that has about 20g of protein, 210/220 calories, and think less or equal to 60 calories of fat. Not much sugar or sodium either.
Protein over a certain amount will increase your blood sugar, thus your insulin levels. Higher insulin levels promote fat storage. I think that's what you mean.

If that is what you are concerned about make sure you find a protein shake (or make one yourself) that does not have added sugar. The sugar will certainly increase your blood sugar and insulin, thus promoting fat storage.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 AM

14,570 posts, read 23,111,398 times
Quote:
Whoever told you that was terribly wrong, I'm afraid. Google "BodyRecomposition excess protein" (my phone is being a PITA about copying links) and give it a read. The executive summary is that you'd have to consume simply massive amounts of protein to even begin converting it to fat.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:33 PM

515 posts, read 1,006,119 times
Protein powder is just an easy way to increase the amount of protein you're eating in a day. Increased protein intake increases satiety levels, helps promote muscle growth and helps increase fat loss.

A shake after a workout is fine however is unnecessary unless you are very advanced in your lifting career/are a high level athlete or have fasted for more than 12 hours before exercising. The "anabolic window" doesn't really exist as is colloquially understood; there's no inherent need to chug a protein shake directly after a workout, but it certainly won't hurt anything if you do.

As I said earlier, it's good to have a protein powder though because you want to be shooting for roughly 1 gram per lb of your target weight or more. IE if you're 200lbs and want to weight 175lbs, you want 175+ grams of protein so having a shake or two knocks off about 25-50 grams of protein right off the bat; they're an easy and relatively healthy way to have a snack to keep hunger levels in check during the day.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
Ah gotta love Broscience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss