Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 09:32 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,340,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Welllll, now I know how to MAINTAIN my weight!
Yes, I've gotten very good at that part too. I just wish I was maintaining it about 30 lbs lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 09:47 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Yes, I've gotten very good at that part too. I just wish I was maintaining it about 30 lbs lower.

Right??? It actually scares me to think of how many calories I would be allowed in order to maintain a 140-pound body.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:59 PM

17,676 posts, read 15,386,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Good for you with your success. I wouldn't wait on the weights however. Muscle mass burns calories. Try and add some weights to your routine, even cut back on the cardio. The weights will do more your body and burning calories than the cardio.
Quote:
Good for you, Labonte. My app is the same. September 1 I was 163. Today, October 1, 163.2. Walked 19 out of 30 days.
I realize it's my calories, here's a sampling of what they were throughout September:

Sept. 1 - 1755
Sept. 15 - 2525
Sept. 20 - 2050
Sept. 30 - 1725

Appreciate it.. But.. Let's be honest.. 13 pounds in nearly a month is nothing more than a good start. Hell, I haven't even lost 10% of my starting weight yet.

The good part is that.. Even with the little that I am eating, while I do feel somewhat hungry much of the time, it's not a 'starving' feeling. So, I'm not miserable. And, that gives me good indication that what I am doing is sustainable.

I'm also, as I've said before, not over hyping my expectations.. Yes.. I did think I had hit a plateau last week, but.. That was the great part of the app.. I was able to look at it, and see that I was, indeed, still losing weight at a pace that I expect (2 to 2.5lbs/week).. That's one of the most dangerous things. You get in the mindset that you've peaked and get discouraged.

Where I worry is with my eating.. For a month, i've gotten foods that haven't bored me. Once a week, I would generally get a Garden Salad and Cool Wrap from Chick-Fil-A... All told, about 800 calories.. That would be my daily meal (Plus a fruit cup).. But.. They've closed my CFA for renovations... I've been cooking chicken at home.. Shake and Bake.. Last night, I found some garlic and herb rub that was good.. May try a marinade here in the next week or so.. I've eaten steak, pork.. But, they are all baked. And.. There's only so much creativity you can do with baked chicken/steak/pork.

The only mistake that I know of that I got was nuts. Oh, Christ on a stick that was a mistake. They're like crack. Serving size 1oz, my ass. People say nuts are great for dieting.. Kiss the bad part of my ass. 160 calories per serving, and I can't put the damn things down. I threw them in an office down the hall and told them to save me from myself. I got celery to snack on so I could still have the 'crunch' last night.

I said this in another topic.. Rice Cakes. They're like eating cork.. However, they kill my sweet tooth. So, if I am craving ice cream or chocolate or other sweets.. Eat 2 rice cakes (Caramel).. That's 100 calories, and it satisfies my sugar craving.

Water, water, water.. It's about all I drink. Use some of the crystal light powders for flavor. And, I keep a gallon of sweet tea.. I'll have a swallow of it when I get a craving. I've even cut out the tea at work. Haven't had a soda in months (Not a huge fan of them anyway, so.. No great loss).. I do have a doctors appointment next week.. Probably going to ask for a full blood panel to make sure i'm not overdoing things.

I can say with the exercise/weight loss.. I generally have migraines. Haven't had once since I started. so, i'll be interested to see my BP as well.. And.. I may discuss a goal weight where he'll consider removing me from the BP medication. Might talk about Topamax as well.. I was on it as a migraine preventative previously and lost alot of weight on it.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:11 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,948,745 times
Quote:
Good for you, Labonte. My app is the same. September 1 I was 163. Today, October 1, 163.2. Walked 19 out of 30 days.
I realize it's my calories, here's a sampling of what they were throughout September:

Sept. 1 - 1755
Sept. 15 - 2525
Sept. 20 - 2050
Sept. 30 - 1725

Do you know your macronutrient breakdown? Have you tried lowering your carb intake? I find that when I am eating a low carb diet I am less hungry and I eat fewer calories each day simply because I am not as hungry as I am when I eat more carbs.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito777 View Post
try Redotex...look it up tremendous weight loss ,you need to eat healthy ,but nothing extraordinary ,you can still eat your favourite things ones in a while its 10-15 pouns a month
Import Alert 66-35

Why that just has all the stuff a growing boy needs.. Amphetamines, Stimulants, Laxatives and Valium.

Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,948,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito777 View Post
try Redotex...look it up tremendous weight loss ,you need to eat healthy ,but nothing extraordinary ,you can still eat your favourite things ones in a while its 10-15 pouns a month
Where have you been obtaining this? It has been banned in the US.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:28 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,685,359 times
All I can recommend is getting a food scale. Going for actually weighing what a serving in grams looks like. I have been using myfitnesspal for 2.5 years now, and am up to a 55# weight loss. But using the scale helps me keep better track of the caloric intake. Right now, I am plateaued....but able to maintain my weight loss. I am also dealing with PCOS and peri-menopause.
I was 237...now down to 182#. I haven't started any exercise program yet. I know I should. It is getting to the focus part of making myself exercise, doing something...on a daily basis. Right now, it is just doing the daily chores around our rural one acre with a flock of chickens to maintain.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,570,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
All I can recommend is getting a food scale. Going for actually weighing what a serving in grams looks like. I have been using myfitnesspal for 2.5 years now, and am up to a 55# weight loss. But using the scale helps me keep better track of the caloric intake. Right now, I am plateaued....but able to maintain my weight loss. I am also dealing with PCOS and peri-menopause.
I was 237...now down to 182#. I haven't started any exercise program yet. I know I should. It is getting to the focus part of making myself exercise, doing something...on a daily basis. Right now, it is just doing the daily chores around our rural one acre with a flock of chickens to maintain.

Thank you. I do have a food scale. I measure my avocado, nuts, chicken, cereal, etc. This month, I have focused on nutrition and have stayed in the 1500 calorie range and I am finally seeing results! It's just so much mind over matter!

Old 10-15-2015, 09:46 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,840,091 times
I've found for myself that the key to hitting my calorie goals for the day is really influenced by what I do for breakfast. I'm aiming for roughly 1800-2000 and when I have even a 500 calorie breakfast, it's much more difficult to manage lunch and dinner for the remainder. Those meals are just naturally more calories for me I guess.

I've had some pretty solid success with intermittent fasting (skipping breakfast and having first meal of the day be lunch; not that 5:2 bull**** you'll see around if you Google). Alternatively, a packet of instant oatmeal is only ~120 calories and does a pretty good job of holding you until lunch. 2nd alternatively, a protein shake (1 cup milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 cup frozen berries - blend and enjoy) is also a good option my wife does. Keeps you full and is under 250 calories and can be drank in the car on the way to work.

I can't explain the science, but if you happen to work out around lunchtime, working out in a fasted state is supposedly pretty good for targeting fat loss. Something about how it forces your body to draw energy from fat stores instead of whatever you recently ate.

YMMV.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
I can't explain the science, but if you happen to work out around lunchtime, working out in a fasted state is supposedly pretty good for targeting fat loss. Something about how it forces your body to draw energy from fat stores instead of whatever you recently ate.

YMMV.
I think there's logic to that. In doing the 'one meal a day' thing, I workout after work at 7pm nightly, and then have my single meal sometime around 10pm

Working out is also pretty good at suppressing your appetite, so.. I think perhaps you eat less if you eat after a workout. At 7pm, I haven't eaten all day.. I'm usually quite hungry at that time.. Stomach making noises, etc.. But, after I workout.. That's dulled quite a bit, so.. I get home around 8:30pm or so.. And I'll start preparing my dinner, but it won't get cooked until close to 10pm.. Gives whatever i'm eating plenty of time to marinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss