Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,240,294 times

Advertisements

I am of the mindset that all diets "work" when they force you to re-evaluate your food choices and maintain a caloric deficit. With paleo, I've noticed a lack of consistency on which foods are or aren't paleo, and some of the theories around the allowable foods is sketchy. Another pitfall I've noticed is that some sources completely disregard fat and calories; while the *might* work for some people, for others it is a weight-loss disaster waiting to happen. There are also a lot of paleo treats that can trip you up if you're not careful: a short-stack of almond flour pancakes can blow your diet just as well as a short-stack of conventional pancakes.

In short, there is nothing inherently superior about paleo; it works as well any other diet, depending on the dieter. Do you like the food choices? Does it fit your budget, and do you have time for the prep work that may be involved? Is it something you can stick with (remember: losing the weight is only Step 1)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 02:43 PM

586 posts, read 832,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I am of the mindset that all diets "work" when they force you to re-evaluate your food choices and maintain a caloric deficit. With paleo, I've noticed a lack of consistency on which foods are or aren't paleo, and some of the theories around the allowable foods is sketchy. Another pitfall I've noticed is that some sources completely disregard fat and calories; while the *might* work for some people, for others it is a weight-loss disaster waiting to happen. There are also a lot of paleo treats that can trip you up if you're not careful: a short-stack of almond flour pancakes can blow your diet just as well as a short-stack of conventional pancakes.

In short, there is nothing inherently superior about paleo; it works as well any other diet, depending on the dieter. Do you like the food choices? Does it fit your budget, and do you have time for the prep work that may be involved? Is it something you can stick with (remember: losing the weight is only Step 1)?
It does appear to be time consuming. I have since decided to stick to my low carb diet which has been working out well. I follow the girl on IG and she seems to be eating a lot of "paleo treats" such as brownies, pancakes and such.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,235 times
https://www.facebook.com/CasualOnHul...95698/?fref=nf

Paleo is bullcrap.

What Paleo Often Is:
  • Low Carb Diet
  • Avoiding unrefined grains to instead eat processed or chemically cured meat
  • Fad food without realizing what processes and products were actually available back in Paleolithic period.

Scientists confirm that the Paleo diet is nonsense - Quartz
http://drclydewilson.typepad.com/drc...nutrients.html
http://www.muditainstitute.com/artic...aleodiets.html

What Paleo Diet Should Be
  • No fried foods. The typical methods of cooking things were fire-roasting and smoking, not coating in batter and giving the golden treatment.
  • Unrefined grains (if it's bread made from flour, it doesn't matter if it is nut flour or what, probably not, maybe sprouted grain breads, probably whole cereal grains NO flour and NO breads), beans, seeds, nuts, roots, berries, fish, meat that is not "grass-fed" either (we may have had farming in paleo period, but feeding animals was not something done for animals until recently, they ummmm ate their own food) but grass-eating beef.
  • No beer, as we know it. Naturally occurring (as in, just let it do its own thing) wine or apple cider.
  • Probably no milk or cheese. There was probably eggs (I've gathered eggs before, it is definitely something cavepeople can do), but white monocolor factory-farmed eggs? Not on your life. They would have been grey, speckled, green, and natural colors.
  • If you are not capable of gathering it yourself with crude tools, it probably isn't on the diet.

Paleo should not just be about foods that were around in ancient times, but methods that were around. No potatoes? Wtf? They can be dug up no problem, even wild. No legumes? Garbage (I don't care about pseudoscientific health studies, legumes are high in protein and fiber, they were nutrient inhibitors, but the ancients didn't know this). Wild caught or killed, not farmed.

Grains can be and were gathered. So were potatoes. So were wild greens or berries. So were fish. Beef probably was not in the diet, because it tended to involve domesticating (before that, we would largely be talking buffalo) so you would likely eat deer. So the actual diet?

Mostly pescovegetarian. With no bread or dough. No milk or cheese. And no beer. I can't do it (love milk too much), and most people can't do it because it would mean giving up grain alcohol.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 10-28-2015 at 09:26 PM..

Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Paleo is bullcrap.

What Paleo Often Is:
  • Low Carb Diet
  • Fad food without realizing what processes and products were actually available back in Paleolithic period.

• No fried foods. The typical methods of cooking things were fire-roasting and smoking, not coating in batter and giving the golden treatment.
  • Unrefined grains (if it's bread made from flour, it doesn't matter if it is nut flour or what, probably not, maybe sprouted grain breads, probably whole cereal grains NO flour and NO breads), beans, seeds, nuts, roots, berries, fish, meat that is not "grass-fed" either (we may have had farming in paleo period, but feeding animals was not something done for animals until recently, they ummmm ate their own food) but grass-eating beef.
  • No beer, as we know it. Naturally occurring (as in, just let it do its own thing) wine or apple cider.
  • Probably no milk or cheese. There was probably eggs (I've gathered eggs before, it is definitely something cavepeople can do), but white monocolor factory-farmed eggs? Not on your life. They would have been grey, speckled, green, and natural colors.
  • If you are not capable of gathering it yourself with crude tools, it probably isn't on the diet.

Paleo should not just be about foods that were around in ancient times, but methods that were around. Scotch eggs? Not a chance. Hamburger? Sorry. Steak? Yes. Potato cakes? Yes, if they're cooked on a stone, no oil. If they're mashed by pounding not in a food processor. Fries? Don't think so. No legumes? Garbage (I don't care about pseudoscientific health studies, legumes are high in protein and fiber, they were nutrient inhibitors, but the ancients didn't know this). Wild caught or killed, not farmed.

Personally, I love cheese too much to go Paleo. And I think the founder of this diet is a stupid hypocrite, giving arbitrary restrictions that are based on hack science.
I don't know who the founder was but my doctor put me on what seems to be a modified paleo diet. I do have more energy but the diet is high in fats. I have trouble digesting so much fat. I haven't gained any weight on this diet though and weight loss is not my reason for eating this way.

I'm supposed to eat protein throughout the day. I'm supposed to eat free range eggs, meat (beef if it is grass fed, not fed with pesticide contaminated grain), fish, home made bone broth (bones cooked with celery and carrots), lots of beans, leafy vegetables--all kinds of vegetables, water, ginger tea, rice and other whole grains (not processed grains like flour or pasta). I'm supposed to drink milk and eat cheese and yogurt but I am allergic to dairy products, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. I'm supposed to eat a lot of nuts. I'm supposed to use olive oil or coconut oil.

I wonder how similar it is to what paleolithic people ate. Anyway, it seems to be a fairly healthy diet with almost no sugar and definitely no junk food. There are recipes for candy, made from nuts, chocolate, honey or maple syrup. Stevia, a natural sweetener, is also used. I don't feel deprived on this diet and I don't think it's that weird. For me, it's just too high in fats to be easily digestible.

It certainly is a more normal and natural diet than that of the junk food eaters, soda drinkers, processed meat eaters, potato chip and fries eaters, and the anything that is processed and comes out of a can eaters.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

Paleo is bullcrap.

What Paleo Often Is:
  • Low Carb Diet

Paleo should not just be about foods that were around in ancient times, but methods that were around. Scotch eggs? Not a chance. Hamburger? Sorry. Steak? Yes. Potato cakes? Yes, if they're cooked on a stone, no oil. If they're mashed by pounding not in a food processor. Fries? Don't think so. No legumes? Garbage (I don't care about pseudoscientific health studies, legumes are high in protein and fiber, they were nutrient inhibitors, but the ancients didn't know this). Wild caught or killed, not farmed.

Personally, I love cheese too much to go Paleo. And I think the founder of this diet is a stupid hypocrite, giving arbitrary restrictions that are based on hack science.
I don't know who the founder was but my doctor put me on what seems to be a modified paleo diet. I do have more energy but the diet is high in fats. I have trouble digesting so much fat. I haven't gained any weight on this diet though and weight loss is not my reason for eating this way.

I'm supposed to eat protein throughout the day. I'm supposed to eat free range eggs, meat (beef if it is grass fed, not fed with pesticide contaminated grain), fish, home made bone broth (bones cooked with celery and carrots), lots of beans, leafy vegetables--all kinds of vegetables, water, ginger tea, rice and other whole grains (not processed grains like flour or pasta). I'm supposed to drink milk and eat cheese and yogurt (but I am allergic to dairy products), baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. I'm supposed to eat a lot of nuts. I'm supposed to use olive oil or coconut oil.

I wonder how similar it is to what paleolithic people ate. Anyway, it seems to be a fairly healthy diet with almost no sugar and definitely no junk food. There are recipes for candy, made from nuts, chocolate, honey or maple syrup. Stevia, a natural sweetener, is also used. I don't feel deprived on this diet and I don't think it's that weird. For me, it's just too high in fats to be easily digestible.

It certainly is a more normal and natural diet than that of the junk food eaters, soda drinkers, processed meat eaters, potato chip and fries eaters, and the anything that is processed and comes out of a can eaters.

Paleo Diet Recipes | Paleo Leap

Old 10-30-2015, 07:03 PM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
At least HALF of that weight she lost would be water weight. A lot of people lose a lot of water weight when they first go low-carb, paleo, Atkins, etc.
Pssst ... Anyone engaging on a weight-loss food plan will lose water weight first, regardless of what they're eating.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,408,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm supposed to eat protein throughout the day.
I'm supposed to eat free range eggs, meat (beef if it is grass fed, not fed with
pesticide contaminated grain), fish, home made bone broth (bones cooked with celery and carrots), lots of beans, leafy vegetables--all kinds of vegetables, water, ginger tea, rice and other whole grains (not processed grains like flour or pasta).
I'm supposed to drink milk and eat cheese and yogurt but I am allergic to dairy products, baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc. I'm supposed to eat a lot of nuts.
I'm supposed to use olive oil or coconut oil.

Sounds heavenly.
And sounds like what I do...except I only put an ounce of org milk in my tea or org coffee.
Just quit dairy on my own.
I don't do beans much unless I will be around no one that evening.
You inspired me to have some ginger tea right NOW!

Otherwise, this is how I eat...and feel Great, too!

Old 11-05-2015, 04:56 AM

231 posts, read 213,522 times
I like The Pegan Diet.
A combination of Paleo and Vegan.
Doesn't sound possible since Vegans wont eat meat and Paleos wont eat grains.
The Pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables - filling 75 percent of your diet with plants and rounding out the other 25 percent with meat.
A better description is probably a very clean modified Paleo diet.
The Pegan diet is a very healthy way to eat and eliminates a lot of problem foods.

Fact is - a lot of people have problems with Dairy products.
I drink Coconut Milk - and it's fortified with B12 and Calcium.

I am of the belief that grains are essentially bad for us.
Even the healthiest Whole Grains break down into sugar when digested.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:48 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,912,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post

Guess what? So do fruits and vegetables.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:02 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,828,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoTex View Post
I like The Pegan Diet.
A combination of Paleo and Vegan.
Doesn't sound possible since Vegans wont eat meat and Paleos wont eat grains.
The Pegan diet focuses primarily on fruits and vegetables - filling 75 percent of your diet with plants and rounding out the other 25 percent with meat.
A better description is probably a very clean modified Paleo diet.
The Pegan diet is a very healthy way to eat and eliminates a lot of problem foods.

Fact is - a lot of people have problems with Dairy products.
I drink Coconut Milk - and it's fortified with B12 and Calcium.

What are your protein sources? Fruit has a ton of sugar. Fact - a lot of people do not have issues with dairy or grains and it is really up to the individual to find out what works best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss