Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:36 AM

393 posts, read 359,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You can't go wrong with the South Beach Diet...at least that's been my experience.

And not all carbs are evil -- just mostly the crummy empty and caloric carbs found in commercial baked goods (cookies, crackers, bred, pies, pastries, donuts) made from white flour and then laced with sugar and bad fats...

A simple baked potato can be in any healthy diet...as can brown rice, quinoa, bulgar, lentils, beans, farro, barley, etc.

Cut out the above, along with all snack foods other than cut-up apples and such, and say no to soft drinks and things with lots of sugar and you're on your way.

You already know you'll want to avoid fast food...especially fries and pizza....
I was going to say South Beach because it promotes a more balanced approach and doesn't allow you to go all out on things you know you shouldn't (bacon, sausage) like other low carb ones do. Dr. Agatson also isn't really big on processed food and fast food, instead you need to learn how to think about what you are eating. I have only half-a**edly been on it for two weeks and I feel my muffin top becoming smaller already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Working out 5 times a day/40 min sessions on a low carb diet is going to have you begging for mercy.

Its most likely unsustainable for the long run.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Working out 5 times a day/40 min sessions on a low carb diet is going to have you begging for mercy.

Its most likely unsustainable for the long run.
That's true when you first start a low carb diet. However, once you get adapted to a low carb diet you will be able to work out just fine. It takes 2-3 weeks to adapt.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,335,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
That's true when you first start a low carb diet. However, once you get adapted to a low carb diet you will be able to work out just fine. It takes 2-3 weeks to adapt.
I think, if you're not too active (secondary) one can easily get away with a low (even near zero) carb diet and be just fine. Add exerting workouts 5 days a week- I'm not too sure. Once you get down to a certain weight/body fat percentage... I don't think one can sustain working out without consuming a good amount of carbs; but most people don't get that far (cross that bridge when one gets there)

Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,480,610 times
Maybe as much as I think it would be easier for us to be on the same kind of diet we can't. He might be able to do the low carb and I can just cut back on the unhelthy stuff I eat since I don't have as much to lose. It might make it hard when we cook together though. Can't wait for us to start running together but I think that's going to take time for us to get at the same level.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:05 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
It does not work for me at all. I sustained a low carb diet for 3 months and during that time I had some of the worst workouts I have ever had. Low energy, tiring out too early, longer recovery time.
Everyone is different, but fuel is fuel and for high intensity exercise it is important to get the right kind of fuel.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
^^ This is because you have to compensate with added fats in place of the missing carbs. Fats are superior to carbs for energy and they WILL NOT make you fat. It's a all a fallacy and has been for decades. If you go low carb and low fat you will suffer for sure!. You see it now in the media over and over but many people still cannot grasp the concept because we have been brain washed for many years that fat is the enemy. Fat provides twice the amount energy as carbs per gram. It's a scientific fact, believe it not.

What Gives the Most Energy Per Gram: Fat, Protein or Carbohydrates? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple

Old 12-21-2015, 03:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think, if you're not too active (secondary) one can easily get away with a low (even near zero) carb diet and be just fine. Add exerting workouts 5 days a week- I'm not too sure. Once you get down to a certain weight/body fat percentage... I don't think one can sustain working out without consuming a good amount of carbs; but most people don't get that far (cross that bridge when one gets there)
I have been working out 5-6 days a week on a low carb diet with no problems after my initial period of adaptation (about 3 weeks).

I lift weights 2x a week, hi intensity intervals for 35 min 3x a week, and yoga 1x a week.

I am a normal 50 year old woman.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:31 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,558,585 times
Quote:
I have been working out 5-6 days a week on a low carb diet with no problems after my initial period of adaptation (about 3 weeks).

I lift weights 2x a week, hi intensity intervals for 35 min 3x a week, and yoga 1x a week.

I am a normal 50 year old woman.
That is not a normal 50-year-old woman. That is an awesome 50-year-old woman!

Old 12-21-2015, 04:47 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You can't go wrong with the South Beach Diet...at least that's been my experience.

And not all carbs are evil -- just mostly the crummy empty and caloric carbs found in commercial baked goods (cookies, crackers, bred, pies, pastries, donuts) made from white flour and then laced with sugar and bad fats...

A simple baked potato can be in any healthy diet...as can brown rice, quinoa, bulgar, lentils, beans, farro, barley, etc.

Cut out the above, along with all snack foods other than cut-up apples and such, and say no to soft drinks and things with lots of sugar and you're on your way.

You already know you'll want to avoid fast food...especially fries and pizza....
Research Dr. Gregory Ellis. He had several Youtube videos that are very informative. The parts about 'glycated protein' are very compelling. Granted, maybe he is wrong, or only half right, or maybe he is right; but it pays to research his views on how detrimental any carbohydrate can be for many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss