Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times

Advertisements

If your BF is interested in a low carb, meaty diet, go for it. Men seem to respond really well to such diets, as we (I'm a man) are culturally conditioned to be meat eaters and low carb seems to agree with our general physiology.

Side tangent:
I'm a big advocate of moderate meat consumption with high fruit/veg consumption. While I am not a militant vegetarian, I do think the standard American diet grossly overestimates the amount of meat we should eat (be it from a weight loss, general health, or environmental perspective). My protein consumption is considered paltry especially as my exercise regimen includes weight training 5 or 6 times per week, but my 100g (400 calories) of protein per day has been sufficient in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 12:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Maybe paleo? A modified paleo? It has you eating meat and eggs a lot for protein and good fats like coconut and butter. I tried it but it was so high in fat that it made me sick--that's why I say "modified."

My dr wanted me to go low carb to get my cholesterol under control and this is the only way I can go low carb. Just cutting out carbs left me with not that much to eat. But the paleo has you making muffins and pancakes--just not making them with flour. You make them with things like almond meal or coconut. The food is really good. Meat and potatoes--even dh likes it.

No junk food or fast food, of course, and no soda--but no one should be eating that stuff anyway.

Lots of vegetables and broth made in the slow cooker. You can google paleo recipes and try some.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I like the Atkins diet. There is a free website where you can keep a food diary until you are familiar with what to eat and what not to. It will give you your target carbs...probably around 20.
The first phase of the diet is called induction, and it just resets your system. You can stay on this phase for 2 weeks or longer. Only this phase is strict. After that you can have higher carb vegetables and some fruit. You would probably be at your goal weight already.
I find it very easy to live with. I've been on it for over 6 months. No calorie counting.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:47 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
That is not a normal 50-year-old woman. That is an awesome 50-year-old woman!
Thanks. I belong to a gym with a wide range of ages so I feel pretty normal there. Maybe my gym has more older folks working out than normal.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:00 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
^^ This is because you have to compensate with added fats in place of the missing carbs. Fats are superior to carbs for energy and they WILL NOT make you fat. It's a all a fallacy and has been for decades. If you go low carb and low fat you will suffer for sure!. You see it now in the media over and over but many people still cannot grasp the concept because we have been brain washed for many years that fat is the enemy. Fat provides twice the amount energy as carbs per gram. It's a scientific fact, believe it not.

What Gives the Most Energy Per Gram: Fat, Protein or Carbohydrates? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

Why Fat, Not Carbs, Are the Preferred Fuel for the Human Body | Mark's Daily Apple
The problem with that though, is that the human body's biochemical pathways can't use fat for fuel as quickly and efficiently as they do with carbs, so even though we have more fat available to burn it is a poor fuel compared to carbs.

Is Fat the Preferred Fuel Source in the Body - Q&A : Bodyrecomposition

Old 12-23-2015, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe paleo? A modified paleo? It has you eating meat and eggs a lot for protein and good fats like coconut and butter. I tried it but it was so high in fat that it made me sick--that's why I say "modified."

Lots of vegetables and broth made in the slow cooker. You can google paleo recipes and try some.
Some of the Paleo recipes are quite good although i'm not on the Paleo diet i do find their recipes a source of healthy creative cooking ideas that i use often..=
Paleo Recipes - 410+ Free from Paleo Plan

Old 12-23-2015, 01:58 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
The best *diet* is no diet but a lifestyle, lifetime change of eating habits and exercise habits.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:26 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I think, if you're not too active (secondary) one can easily get away with a low (even near zero) carb diet and be just fine. Add exerting workouts 5 days a week- I'm not too sure. Once you get down to a certain weight/body fat percentage... I don't think one can sustain working out without consuming a good amount of carbs; but most people don't get that far (cross that bridge when one gets there)
When you switch to a low carb lifestyle, your body burns your fat reserves for energy. Surprisingly you won't be hungry. You will be eating heathy fats and protein. Once you get out of the "carb fog" you will lose weight, feel more alert, and have more energy.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:17 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
So I saw a cardiologist who suggested that South Beach was a bit better than Atkins. I have yet to figure out the differences, but I got the South Beach book on Kindle.
I see that the SB website is not taking new subscribers, and I've always found the Atkins website helpful to track things, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss