Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:08 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,483,050 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I talked abou doing a weight loss New Years resolution together. He loves the idea of us dieting and being weight loss buddies together. He wants to lose 70 pounds and I want to lose 15. Lol before thanksgiving I only wanted to lose 10 but I've been to too many holiday parties!

Anyway he put me in charge of planning things. I know he likes meat and he seems to favor low carb dieting. Since he needs to lose more weight, I figure it would be best to go with a diet that works best for him. Besides, I think my problem is liking the carbs too much anyway as love baking and eating what I bake!

I'm just curious which low carb diets are best. Like I said he likes meat and I really like fish and veggies but also fruit. So many diets seem to ban fruit and that's how I can keep my sweet tooth cravings in check.

I run and we also plan to start running together. He's going to run my next 5k with me! Maybe we will do speed walking to start. I go to a gym on my worksite five times a week and work out for about 40 minutes. I plan to keep that up as its a nice workday break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:19 AM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
You can't go wrong with the South Beach Diet...at least that's been my experience.

And not all carbs are evil -- just mostly the crummy empty and caloric carbs found in commercial baked goods (cookies, crackers, bred, pies, pastries, donuts) made from white flour and then laced with sugar and bad fats...

A simple baked potato can be in any healthy diet...as can brown rice, quinoa, bulgar, lentils, beans, farro, barley, etc.

Cut out the above, along with all snack foods other than cut-up apples and such, and say no to soft drinks and things with lots of sugar and you're on your way.

You already know you'll want to avoid fast food...especially fries and pizza....

Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,563,206 times
Maybe when you just need to lose 10 lbs. you can call it a diet. But when you need to lose 70, you need to call it a lifestyle change. After all, does he plan to keep the 70 lbs. off, or just take them off temporarily?

If he likes proteins, he should eat proteins. He just needs to watch his intake, and his portions. Don't go looking for "the best diet." Go looking for the "best way to eat so I can sustain the body I want for the rest of my life."

Me personally, I've been eating ice cream, candy and egg nog this week and still losing. Not the healthiest, but my point is, figure out what you like and eat that so it will be sustainable. Do not punish yourself with some crazy diet.

That is all. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:28 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,912,003 times
Maybe instead of yo-yo dieting with faddish things like low carb diets, why don't you think more in terms of a healthy, well-rounded diet that has been shown to increase life span and keep weight in check naturally?

Maybe something like a Mediterranean-based diet that is something like 50-60% of calories from carbs.

Or maybe something healthier and even more conducive to weight loss, such as a plant based diet that gets 80-90% calories from carbs.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,483,050 times
Well, I'd think a low carb diet would be something like the Mediterranean diet. I've heard of that one, Atkins, South Beach, etc. I want one we can stick to. I was under the impression that those were low carb and sustainable. I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about I confess. I'm just trying to figure out some kind of plan to help him lose all that 70 pounds he needs to lose and me to lose the 10-15 pounds I want to lose too. I'm trying to get back to my college weight as my weight has creeped up over the years. I think because of my seditary office job.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,821,705 times
Eat a wide variety of foods and stay in a calorie deficit. That is the simple version of weight loss. Join My Fitness Pal to determine your caloric needs. Don't be too aggressive with your desired weekly weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have lost 60 lbs. eating what I like.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:06 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,923,271 times
Eat a variety of proteins, fat and veggies. You don't really need a structured diet plan. It is hard to sustain a low carb eating plan without varying your protein sources. Tonight I am having fish for dinner. Yesterday beef. The day before chicken. I had pork on Monday and Tuesday. I also vary my veggies. Yesterday was mushrooms and onions. The day before broccoli and green beans. I had a green salad on Monday and Tuesday. If you don't vary what you eat you can get sick of eating the same thing.

You have to experiment with fruit. I can't lose weight if I eat fruit. Others can. I would suggest cutting it out completely for about 2 weeks and then adding it back slowly to see how your body reacts. If your boyfriend needs to lose 70 lb I would recommend he hold off on adding fruit.

The Atkins website has a wealth of information about low carb eating. You don't have to follow the Atkins diet to benefit from the website.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,912,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Well, I'd think a low carb diet would be something like the Mediterranean diet. I've heard of that one, Atkins, South Beach, etc. I want one we can stick to. I was under the impression that those were low carb and sustainable. I could be wrong and not know what I'm talking about I confess. I'm just trying to figure out some kind of plan to help him lose all that 70 pounds he needs to lose and me to lose the 10-15 pounds I want to lose too. I'm trying to get back to my college weight as my weight has creeped up over the years. I think because of my seditary office job.

The Mediterranean diet gets 50 to 60% of calories from carbohydrates. This makes it relatively high carb.

High carbohydrate diets such as the Mediterranean and plant-based diets are the only diet programs that have consistently shown to be associated with increased lifespan, low body fat, and decreased chronic disease risk.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,082,104 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I talked abou doing a weight loss New Years resolution together. He loves the idea of us dieting and being weight loss buddies together. He wants to lose 70 pounds and I want to lose 15. Lol before thanksgiving I only wanted to lose 10 but I've been to too many holiday parties!

Anyway he put me in charge of planning things. I know he likes meat and he seems to favor low carb dieting. Since he needs to lose more weight, I figure it would be best to go with a diet that works best for him. Besides, I think my problem is liking the carbs too much anyway as love baking and eating what I bake!

I'm just curious which low carb diets are best. Like I said he likes meat and I really like fish and veggies but also fruit. So many diets seem to ban fruit and that's how I can keep my sweet tooth cravings in check.

I run and we also plan to start running together. He's going to run my next 5k with me! Maybe we will do speed walking to start. I go to a gym on my worksite five times a week and work out for about 40 minutes. I plan to keep that up as its a nice workday break.
Well it depends. While there are lots of different versions of versions of low carb diets like the aforementioned Atkins and South Beach (among many, many others) they all follow the same basic principles of establishing ketosis via low carb intake during the day. Behind that you have cyclical ketogenic diets which usually use lower carb (<25 grams) intakes for periods of 5-6 days with a higher carb reload over the stretch of 1-2 days. Then of course there are protein sparing modified fasts, which are basically low carb diets without the dietary fat.

If you're interested in doing low carb diets, I'd highly recommend Lyle McDonald's The Ketogenic Diet. It covers three different types of low carb diets with very objective analysis of the pros and cons of each. It's really the only low carb book anyone needs.

The Ketogenic Diet : Bodyrecomposition

If you're interested in the protein sparing modified fast, Lyle's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook is a great resource. It's a more extreme diet that is aimed at losing weight at an accelerated pace but works rather well.

The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook : Bodyrecomposition

You might take a look at those options with your boyfriend and see what he thinks and if either of those options work for you.

As for exercise, just know that athletic performance generally suffers on low carb diets. Both of the books I pointed you to discuss exercise options that fit the diet well. Doing the cardio is fine but I would also recommend you incorporate some weight training as well, for various reasons.

Last edited by McBain II; 12-19-2015 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,082,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Maybe instead of yo-yo dieting with faddish things like low carb diets, why don't you think more in terms of a healthy, well-rounded diet that has been shown to increase life span and keep weight in check naturally?
A few problems here:

- You really don't have any basis for a claim of yo-yo dieting.

- Low carb diets have been around and used for decades now, so that pretty much eliminates them from the "fad diet" discussion.

Quote:
Or maybe something healthier and even more conducive to weight loss, such as a plant based diet that gets 80-90% calories from carbs.
The OP specifically said that her boyfriend likes meat and prefers a low carb approach. Do you not see the inherent flaw in trying to take that kind of person put them on a plant based diet?

Quote:
The Mediterranean Diet is fine if you want to follow that but it is not low carb. Low carb diets are generally under 100 grams of carbs per day. Also, despite common misconception, the diet you lose weight with does not have to be the diet you stick to. It is not unheard of for people to use low carb diets to lose weight and then transition to more balanced diets for maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss