Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,143,530 times

Advertisements

Hey all. My daughter is getting married in pretty much exactly one year. I have to, I mean have to lose at least 50 pounds by then. I know how to do it, I've fought weight for a long time. I know what foods to eat and all that. My problem is that I am an emotional eater. If a problem comes along to upset/depress me, I head for the Doritos. I have tried all of the magic solutions to this lack of will power thing, and nothing has worked. I have blown a 60 pound loss because I had to go back to a job I loathed. So I ate myself back to fat over it. I really don't know how to be strong when bad stuff happens. I give myself the pep talk. I try to distract myself, go somewhere, do something, think happy thoughts, etc. Still fail. Ideas? I promised her I would wear a nice dress and actually dance at her wedding. I couldn't dance at her engagement party due to bad knee, bad back and general fat look. I am 65, female, and very overweight. Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 02:08 AM

14,574 posts, read 23,130,006 times
I can't say I know a whole lot about emotional eating - that's probably something better suited for a psychologist - but one thing that might help is if you have these urges and simply cannot control them, make sure you give into them with lean protein. Chicken, turkey, or maybe even a casein or milk protein isolate shake? The calorie value is low and you'll get filling protein.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,275,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
Hey all. My daughter is getting married in pretty much exactly one year. I have to, I mean have to lose at least 50 pounds by then. I know how to do it, I've fought weight for a long time. I know what foods to eat and all that. My problem is that I am an emotional eater. If a problem comes along to upset/depress me, I head for the Doritos. I have tried all of the magic solutions to this lack of will power thing, and nothing has worked. I have blown a 60 pound loss because I had to go back to a job I loathed. So I ate myself back to fat over it. I really don't know how to be strong when bad stuff happens. I give myself the pep talk. I try to distract myself, go somewhere, do something, think happy thoughts, etc. Still fail. Ideas? I promised her I would wear a nice dress and actually dance at her wedding. I couldn't dance at her engagement party due to bad knee, bad back and general fat look. I am 65, female, and very overweight. Help.
Have you thought about a structured program like Jenny Craig? They will structure your diet, sell you the food and give you diet counseling every week. It's expensive but once you have things under control, it's easier to go out on your own.

You probably also need a gentle exercise program to help with calorie burn and stress management.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:32 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,848,096 times
OP, you may want to get control of your stress before you do anything else. Look up the emotional freedom technique (EFT) on youtube--it seems too easy at first but you'll be amazed. You could also start yoga or meditation. Please do this for yourself--everyone that I've ever talked to who got a serious disease, like cancer, said that in the preceding 2-5 years their stress levels were thru the roof. Manage that stress--you'll be glad you did and will be much happier when enjoying that wedding in your beautiful new dress. PS--I used to be a binge eater too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss