Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times

Advertisements

This should be enlightening to all the folks that are against low carb eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

May I add that is just one person's (a doctor) point of view. I have been on a LCHF diet for a good while now and KNOW that this works.

Last edited by gguerra; 01-28-2016 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
This should be enlightening to all the folks that are against low carb eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF7pmUmyzTk

May I add that is just one person's (a doctor) point of view. I have been on a LCHF diet for a good while now and KNOW that this works.
Works for some not others. The science may be there but not everyone is going to feel the same way or lose the same way. It worked for you and countless others, didn't work for me, and quite a few people I know. Everyone is different and require different approaches.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:56 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Not even five minutes in and shut it off because damn near everything he said was wrong.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame.

You are always burning fat and carbohydrate together.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame.
I guess it was only logical that someone would show up to be as equally wrong on the other side of the equilibrium.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:26 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
Three words: just eat less. Figure out a way that makes it "fun" and sustainable for YOU. If it's LCHF, go for it. If it's Twinkies all the day long, go for it. If it's eating a 4 oz piece of chicken breast every day, go for it.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:56 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
Three words: just eat less.
Just eat less processed and refined foods.

It's not so much about low carb as it is eliminating processed and refined "food-like" substances, which are almost always loaded in empty calories, refined grains, added sugar, and god knows what else.

Carbs should come from vegetables and a small amount of fruit. Caloric reduction is only part of the story. Anyone can restrict their intake and lose weight (even on Twinkies or Big Macs), but it is not sustainable over the long-term as old habits and cravings always rear their heads again.

Focus on the nutrient density of your food, not the number of calories. Doing this is self-correcting. By default, nutrient-dense foods are the best foods for stabilizing appetite, reducing junk food cravings, balancing hormones, reducing sugars and refined grains, establishing beneficial gut flora, and improving health.

Your caloric intake will naturally decrease, but you will also be increasing your intake of nutrients. Win-win.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Just eat less processed and refined foods.

It's not so much about low carb as it is eliminating processed and refined "food-like" substances, which are almost always loaded in empty calories, refined grains, added sugar, and god knows what else.

Carbs should come from vegetables and a small amount of fruit. Caloric reduction is only part of the story. Anyone can restrict their intake and lose weight (even on Twinkies or Big Macs), but it is not sustainable over the long-term as old habits and cravings always rear their heads again.

Focus on the nutrient density of your food, not the number of calories. Doing this is self-correcting. By default, nutrient-dense foods are the best foods for stabilizing appetite, reducing junk food cravings, balancing hormones, reducing sugars and refined grains, establishing beneficial gut flora, and improving health.

Your caloric intake will naturally decrease, but you will also be increasing your intake of nutrients. Win-win.
And old habits and cravings are the reason a lot of people doing a low carb diet fail. I generally do not eat any refined grains, but sometimes that artisan pizza, or fresh sour dough bread with balsamic and olive oil, or a pasta dish is calling my name. Also I enjoy wine and an occasional beer. Moderation has and always will be the key. Omitting food groups messes with people's minds and inevitably their body. The KEY is to find out what works for the individual. In dieting one size does not fit all.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
And old habits and cravings are the reason a lot of people doing a low carb diet fail. I generally do not eat any refined grains, but sometimes that artisan pizza, or fresh sour dough bread with balsamic and olive oil, or a pasta dish is calling my name. Also I enjoy wine and an occasional beer. Moderation has and always will be the key. Omitting food groups messes with people's minds and inevitably their body. The KEY is to find out what works for the individual. In dieting one size does not fit all.
I agree^^. As a type 2 diabetc, I eat more healthy than the majority of people I know. But I do enjoy my morning sourdough waffles (true sourdough, made from scratch) and some occasional processed food like blue corn chips or dark chocolate squares. And yes, I like some wine with dinner. But I do watch my overall carb intake and eat small meals. That is what works for me. I just cannot omit all carbs or all wheat or whatever is the current "devil of the day." I can eat like this the rest of my life, because I never say I can't have something. I have no trouble maintaining my weight this way as well.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:07 PM

1,098 posts, read 902,825 times
I went low carb and I burned way more than fat. Lost a lot of muscle and felt sick. Things didn't get better until I added starch back into my diet. While I agree that most people don't get enough fat and protein in their diet there is nothing wrong with a little potatoes, rice and beans and in my case I found out these carbs were essential to recover from my workouts

I didn't even watch the video, I've seen this guy before and I'm sure I watched 100 videos like this back when I was drinking the paleo koolaid. I still support a modified paleo lifestyle but at the end of the day, this diet causes people to eliminate some foods they shouldn't be eliminating.

My top 3 take aways from my low-carb experiment 1) Steak, eggs, bacon etc..All are A-Okay. 2) I'm much better off when I avoid Dairy, wheat and sugar 3) If I'm lifting weights or doing any strenuous activity I had better be eating my starch

Last edited by Jame22; 02-02-2016 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss