Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 06:46 PM

4,293 posts, read 4,460,044 times

Advertisements

I was a bodybuilder for 20 years and was accustomed to eating one piece of animal protein everyday. Wow did that prove to be wrong as I have gotten older (46). After a recent blood test I threw away all the bad oil filled foods yogurt and cheese.

So far I understand that :

Animal protein is bad. Eat fatty fish soy products egg whites and greek yogurt. I cannot eat nuts. Any other ideas ?

Is non fat cheese yogurt or mozzarella cheese still bad ?

Eat high fiber foods. Lose weight.

Can anyone think of anything else in the dietary department ? The other lifestyle issues are obvious.

Thanks.

I used to be a vegetarian in my 20's so I totally understand how the weight sheds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 PM

1,098 posts, read 912,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I was a bodybuilder for 20 years and was accustomed to eating one piece of animal protein everyday. Wow did that prove to be wrong as I have gotten older (46). After a recent blood test I threw away all the bad oil filled foods yogurt and cheese.

So far I understand that :

Animal protein is bad. Eat fatty fish soy products egg whites and greek yogurt. I cannot eat nuts. Any other ideas ?

Is non fat cheese yogurt or mozzarella cheese still bad ?

Eat high fiber foods. Lose weight.

Can anyone think of anything else in the dietary department ? The other lifestyle issues are obvious.

Thanks.

I used to be a vegetarian in my 20's so I totally understand how the weight sheds.
As far as I'm aware, the theory that eating foods high in cholesterol and fat is bad for your heart has been debunked. You could have a dairy allergy or intolerance, You could have a gluten allergy, it could be a number of things. When the body is under stress it produces cholesterol in an attempt to heal itself. That's why so many people have high cholesterol in their blood when they die. Something is off, but don't be so quick to ditch the meat.

And from what I've heard, soy is bad news.

I'd cut soy, wheat, and dairy before trying else.

Last edited by Jame22; 03-05-2016 at 09:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,885,337 times
I agree with Jame22

Cholesterol: Friend Or Foe? - Weston A Price

Old 03-05-2016, 09:07 PM

122 posts, read 43,211 times
Beans are great. Obviously avoid foods high in trans fats like fast food.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
As far as I'm aware, the theory that eating foods high in cholesterol and fat is bad for your heart has been debunked. You could have a dairy allergy or intolerance, You could have a gluten allergy, it could be a number of things. When the body is under stress it produces cholesterol in an attempt to heal itself. That's why so many people have high cholesterol in their blood when they die. Something is off, but don't be so quick to ditch the meat.

And from what I've heard, soy is bad news.

I'd cut soy, wheat, and dairy before trying else.
Interesting Post.

I must admit I have been eating other garbage that I guess has caught up to me. Tonight I threw away anything that had palm oil anise oil or any other kind of junk oil in it.

I was into bodybuilding for 20 years but injured by back to the extent that I cannot do any exercise other than walking. The junk food has been a way to comfort myself. It went out the window tonight.

My meals are almost never made at home which is another fault of mine.

Lets see what the doctor says on monday. I will report back.

Thank You to everyone that has posted a comment....very kind of you.

CNYC

Old 03-06-2016, 09:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,980,658 times
If you want to lower your cholesterol remove sugar and white flour from your diet and reduce your intake of other carbohydrates.

Edited to add a link: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-...erol-5983.html

Last edited by Momma_bear; 03-06-2016 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 10:42 AM

1,098 posts, read 912,340 times
Quote:

Lets see what the doctor says on monday. I will report back.
Also keep in mind that most doctors have little to no training in nutrition. They might not know what they're talking about.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If you want to lower your cholesterol remove sugar and white flour from your diet and reduce your intake of other carbohydrates.

Edited to add a link: Can Carbohydrates Raise Cholesterol? | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Wow even sugar ? That was going to be my "go to" food for a treat.

Staying away from animal proteins is way more realistic to me.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,373 times
Quote:

Sugar is just about the worst thing you can put into your body. Of course a little now and then wont hurt you. If you do not like animal proteins go for tofu, beans, nut butters, a variety of veggies. I would recommend reading up on the current diet recommendations for high cholesterol. You might be surprised. Also, exercise is very important in keeping your cholesterol in line.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:58 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,865,072 times
Quote:

You can have SOME sugar, just don't overdo it. And there's a great sugar substitute called stevia. It comes from a plant and it's three times sweeter than sugar. In coffee or tea, I'll use stevia plus a teeny bit of real sugar for flavor.

My dr. did say to cut out carbs--he didn't tell me HOW to cut out carbs though so it sort of left me with not too much to eat. But I've substituted almond flour for white flour in cooking--there are a lot of recipes under paleo diet. I'm not into a paleo diet but you can get a few ideas from it since they don't do a lot of carbs. I eat a handful of nuts for a snack, sometimes a dish of raisins and nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss