Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 08:23 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times

Advertisements

No. Skip breakfast instead and eat a big dinner. It's much much easier that way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Skipping meals kills the metabolism. .
That is completely false.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
But psychologically, it helps me to have a planned fast, that way I can't add any more calories to the day, because I'm "in a fast." Whereas if I wasn't, like last night, I say screw it, cheesecake, Reese's, peanut butter, nom nom nom!
LOL!!! You just reminded of one of my friends making the "nom nom nom" noise when he was taunting me with a pizza slice.

I mean, if it's a mind thing, whatever works. I think the biggest idea is that the standard eating schedule for humans is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Most all of our work schedules are focused around something like that. If you have the time to condense all of your meals into a smaller window, then if it works, great! If your blood sugar levels are normal and you're not feeling like your fading.

For me, I'm prone to hypoglycemia, so fasting is a big no-no for me. If I skip a meal, I start to get real shaky, start slurring my speech, and I'm more prone to grabbing the first candy bar or cheeseburger I see rather than spreading my foods out and constantly grazing. Plus, having a more standard eating pattern for me allows me to fit into a more "normal" work schedule of meetings and such, without feeling like I am torturing myself or punishing myself because I'm not in my schedule eating time. Or, that I am not eating food during an afternoon meeting when it's not really professional to be doing so. But, that is me.

I think the biggest issue with IF is encouraging those who have eating disorders that it's OK to skip meals. While it could work for one, it might add fuel to the fire for others who have struggled.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
That is completely false.
No, I wouldn't say it's completely false. While fasting under a 24 hour period may not affect the metabolism as much as first considered, there are those who do take it to the extreme and long periods of fasting does in fact affect metabolism.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,427 times
Check out the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet. I lost nearly 30lbs on it last year and it has stayed off. I now fast once every 10 days or so, still eat sensibly and don't feel the need for any added sugar in my diet.

Others here who insist that fasting kills the metabolizm read up too, the science behind this diet is sound and it works.
https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,978 times
I am doing the 16:8 IF and last night it helped tremendously. I was sitting there dreaming of carbs, peanut butter was on my table, my daughter was making mac n cheese. But I said no, you are fasting, your eating window has closed, you've eaten your allotted calories, you may not have anything else. And somehow, some way, it worked! I felt SO much better in the morning, for having controlled myself. I know if I had eaten, I would have woken up feeling "hung over" and so mad at myself.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
No, I wouldn't say it's completely false. While fasting under a 24 hour period may not affect the metabolism as much as first considered, there are those who do take it to the extreme and long periods of fasting does in fact affect metabolism.
"extreme"..... skipping one meal a day is a long way from extreme.

In this context it is false

Old 04-04-2016, 03:27 PM

599 posts, read 693,114 times
It worked for me, I lost 30 pounds in two months. I ate healthier, I worked out hard, walked 1.5 mile per day with 5 pound ankle weights on, came home and did my DVD and abs work out, ate extremely light in the evening.
Losing weight quickly can be done, it takes determination and motivation. That was in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss