Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The military has done this forever. I don't see why people are acting as if this is impossible.

And it is hypocritical for a doctor who is obese to tell us that we need to lose a few pounds.
Quote:
It's not about role models. When I was heavy my doc hounded me to lose weight. It got so bad I dreaded going for my yearly physical . He was fat, too. I was like dude, really?? I mean, he was a jerk about it.

You would think that he of all people would understand how difficult losing weight is, but no.
Not about role models? I was replying to the above post. My response was that health and physical education teachers are role models while you pay a doctor for his expert advice. It doesn't really matter if he is obese. He can still tell you that you are too and that it will kill you. It might be hypocritical for a doctor to give this type of advice but as I stated before, it is your choice to go to that doctor.

School age children are different. They are much more impressionable than adullts, and therefore teachers are role models to their students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Not about role models? I was replying to the above post. My response was that health and physical education teachers are role models while you pay a doctor for his expert advice. It doesn't really matter if he is obese. He can still tell you that you are too and that it will kill you. It might be hypocritical for a doctor to give this type of advice but as I stated before, it is your choice to go to that doctor.

School age children are different. They are much more impressionable than adullts, and therefore teachers are role models to their students.
Yes...I fail to understand how it is any more factual that one needs to lose weight when it comes from a marathon running doctor vs. one who golfs 18 holes on Wednesday afternoon and is slightly pudgy vs one that drinks beer and sits and is obese.

Its medical advice. Nothing more, nothing less. Your spouse or parent or co-worker have other interests in mind. Your spouse has physical motivations, wants you to look like something in their mind, to be a better piece of arm candy, etc...Your parent might have your best interests at heart but still feels your weight reflects on them. Your co-worker likes to feel superior, and therefore feels entitled to chime in.

None of this applies to the doctor, unless she's a jerk that just wants to make you feel bad, but generally its about getting you to be healthier.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:38 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
And it is hypocritical for a doctor who is obese to tell us that we need to lose a few pounds.
The fact that the doctor is qualified to give medical advice notwithstanding, perhaps this particular doctor is under advisement from his/her own physician to lose a few pounds?

Love it when people know everything ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
THis! THere's nothing worse than an obese gym teacher instructing my fit 7th graders' class what to eat and not eat. Frankly, at that age with the amount of outdoor activities my son participated in, it was stupid to tell him to limit how much and what he ate, he burned
I'd assume that the gym teacher is advising the entire class, not just your special snowflake.

And just because a kid is fit doesn't mean s/he eats well. Two different things.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 PM

6 posts, read 3,454 times
I agree that if you go to a hospital you will see many of the personnel working there are overweight and out of shape. I disagree with your suggestions on how to fix it. If I were to not like my Doctor because they were overweight I would simply switch Doctors.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
OP, didn't you post almost the exact thing a year or two ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss