Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Eat foods that make you feel fuller for longer. If you are aiming for weight loss, look for high-volume, low calorie foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Like what? Can we get a list going, esp. for those of us who just like to snack/graze all day and night?
I gotcha. Here are some tried-&-true ideas:

Refried beans (get the fat-free variety. They're just as filling as the regular kind, and harmless & nutritious.)
Any kind of beans. (Remember to take Bean-o pills first if you're prone to gas.) The beans with highest nutritional value are:
Pinto
Lentils
Garbanzo (great for homemade hummus too which is also really satisfying)
Black
Kidney

Broccoli (+Bean-o) Great dipped in hummus or guac
Cauliflower (+Bean-o) Great dipped in Hummus or guac
Edamame
Sweet bell peppers, red, yellow, orange. They're ridiculously filling, have few calories, and delicious. Great dipped in hummus too.

Quinoa. Surprisingly filling. (One cup uncooked after adding water = 3-4 cups after cooking...so I can eat 3-4 cups easily.) Mix in some mashed avocado or prepared guac or anything at all. Filling. Healthy. Delicious.

Another easy thing to do with quinoa is mix it with plain tuna & shredded cheese. Delicious & satisfying.

Last edited by Zelpha; 04-05-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 10:50 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Eating raw, unprocessed food will definitely reduce calorie intake.
--
What is so special about the human brain?
Suzana Herculano-Houzel: What is so special about the human brain? | TED Talk | TED.com
--

Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I drink a lot of water with lemon or lime. Start off with a high-protein meal at breakfast or something like oatmeal.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:34 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Indeed, any thoughts on this?
start preparing food yourself..If you are a bad one, you ll lose motivation to eat.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:42 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Are you eating because you are actually hungry, or for other reasons?

If I actually ate when I was physically hungry, I would eat once a day.

My advice? First, determine if you are actually hungry. If not, don't eat.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Intermittent fasting works really well to reduce appetite. If you allow nothing into your stomach, the stomach eventually responds by shrinking a little and reducing its hunger/thirst signals until you start eating again. It also helps train to you to distinguish between real hunger/thirst and just wanting to eat or drink. There are lots of myths out there that have trained us to think we need to be eating every few hours - we absolutely do not need to and there are in fact many reasons not to, at least not regularly.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
What, exactly, is "intermittent fasting"? In all of these responses, we need DETAILS.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Are you eating because you are actually hungry, or for other reasons?

If I actually ate when I was physically hungry, I would eat once a day.

My advice? First, determine if you are actually hungry. If not, don't eat.
A lot of truth to this, at least for me.

Most days, I do only eat one meal a day when I am busy, usually lunch. If that meal includes protiens (meat, cheese, eggs, nuts, beans, lentils, etc.), I am usually fine for the rest of the day. Not the healthiest approach, I reckon (may be a cue to step up activity so my body wants more calories).

Old 04-05-2016, 01:00 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What, exactly, is "intermittent fasting"? In all of these responses, we need DETAILS.
There are several ways to approach "intermittent fasting." Listen to your body and see what works best for you. Examples:

1) Eat every other day. Fast every other day. Make sure on the eating days, it's nutritious food. Always plenty of fresh leafy green veggies. And then the whole rainbow of all kinds of vegetables. Remember avocados & nuts & olive oil, those are good fats which you'll need to feel full & energetic. On the fasting days, liquids only.

2) Eat nutritiously as above 6 days a week. Drink only liquids on the 7th day. Liquids can include smoothies, tea, water, homemade juice from a juicer.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:06 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
Intermittent fasting can be done different ways. The general idea is to go about 16 daytime hours without eating once or twice a week, but it is very flexible. To be most effective, during the period of fasting one should avoid anything that has calories including beverages. Just water or tea/coffee. Some avoid the water too.

When I do it, I have some water early in the morning and a little food if I'm hungry at that moment, then I eat/drink nothing until late that evening - like 8 pm or 9 pm and then have a normal dinner. My doctor's spouse goes for 24 hours twice a week without any calories but drinks water at will.

When you do this, you will probably feel more tired than normal especially when it is new to you. And if you don't drink water, you may get a headache if you didn't drink enough before starting the fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss