Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 AM

26 posts, read 21,854 times

Advertisements

Was it helpful?
How much did you lose over how long?
What was the challenge of using it?
Did you end up maintain the weight?

Thinking of following a diet program to lose 30 lbs, what are the programs you'd recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 AM

19,092 posts, read 27,673,713 times
- no starbucks
- drop carbs to as little as possible
- no sweets
- no sodas or any other premade drinks. Only pure filtered water.
- NO foods that contain flour. NONE.
- limit number of meals per day
- no solid food until 4 hrs after you got out of bed. 5 hrs even better. Have water in the morning, maybe tea of coffee. Let digestive system to wake up.
- cook your own food and know what you eat
- no food 3 hrs before retiring to bed.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:50 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
I recommend Weight Watchers. But not everyone has success on it. I did however because it allowed me to eat from all the food groups.
I would say sign up with My Fitness Pal or Spark People and track your food intake. Focus on eating whole, fresh foods. Lean proteins, veggies, some fruits, whole grains, legumes, healthy fats. If you like yogurt focus on 'real' yogurt and not brands like Dannon or Yoplait.
Avoid sugar, white flour foods, fast and processed foods. Drink lots of water.
Exercise! Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Find something you enjoy doing and be consistent.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 PM

19,842 posts, read 22,741,465 times
No program for me, just discipline.
  • I eat less than 1,500 calories p/day (net)
  • Nothing from a box or a bag (we already ate mostly home cooked meals). I eat whatever I want within those parameters. Carbs, protein- doesn't matter to me.
  • I hike (average at least 550-750 ft elevation gain) almost every day 3-5 miles. That is a priority for me.

I've lost 30 lbs since late January.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I recommend Weight Watchers. But not everyone has success on it. I did however because it allowed me to eat from all the food groups.
I would say sign up with My Fitness Pal or Spark People and track your food intake. Focus on eating whole, fresh foods. Lean proteins, veggies, some fruits, whole grains, legumes, healthy fats. If you like yogurt focus on 'real' yogurt and not brands like Dannon or Yoplait.
Avoid sugar, white flour foods, fast and processed foods. Drink lots of water.
Exercise! Get your heart rate up and keep it up. Find something you enjoy doing and be consistent.
Didn't know Yoplait isn't real yogurt. How so?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
No program for me, just discipline.
  • I eat less than 1,500 calories p/day (net)
  • Nothing from a box or a bag (we already ate mostly home cooked meals). I eat whatever I want within those parameters. Carbs, protein- doesn't matter to me.
  • I hike (average at least 550-750 ft elevation gain) almost every day 3-5 miles. That is a priority for me.

I've lost 30 lbs since late January.
Thank you and congratulations on the weight loss! What websites or tools did you find helpful?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
- no starbucks
- drop carbs to as little as possible
- no sweets
- no sodas or any other premade drinks. Only pure filtered water.
- NO foods that contain flour. NONE.
- limit number of meals per day
- no solid food until 4 hrs after you got out of bed. 5 hrs even better. Have water in the morning, maybe tea of coffee. Let digestive system to wake up.
- cook your own food and know what you eat
- no food 3 hrs before retiring to bed.
No food containing flour is hard. Also, does weight come back when eating flour later?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post
Thank you and congratulations on the weight loss! What websites or tools did you find helpful?
I'm not one to use gadgets, but this one I use religiously and it's great. Myfitnesspal through UA. Here's a screen shot from yesterday:

It has a great database and I can load my excercise into it.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM

You can also track progress in a linear form. One month report-

The trick with this is to be HONEST with your intakes and excercise. I err towards more calories in and less calories burned, that way I build in a margin for error that favors weight loss.

Oh and NO ALCOHOL !!

Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuxstranger View Post
Was it helpful?
How much did you lose over how long?
What was the challenge of using it?
Did you end up maintain the weight?

Thinking of following a diet program to lose 30 lbs, what are the programs you'd recommend?

you don't need a diet program, you need a lifestyle change.

What do you plan on doing once you lose those 30 lbs? Will you stay on the diet program or will you go right back to doing what you're doing now? I say the latter and with a result of a 45 lb weight gain.

Apps are nice, but won't do you a bit of good if you don't actually change your eating habits.

Is flour a real problem? No, it's not. But that whole loaf of freshly baked bread you just ate is. It's called moderation and portion control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss