Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM

600 posts, read 1,028,034 times

Advertisements

I have two scales at my house and I just went to the doctors for a physical and all of the scales say I have lost a lot of weight (about 20 lbs), but I still look and feel the same as before. Is that normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Pretty normal.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:03 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I have two scales at my house and I just went to the doctors for a physical and all of the scales say I have lost a lot of weight (about 20 lbs), but I still look and feel the same as before. Is that normal?
I guess that depends on what percentage of your total body weight that 20 lb weight loss represents. It would be a much higher percentage and probably more noticeable if you weighed 150 lbs and wanted to lose a total of 30 lbs ( you'd be 2/3 the way to your goal), than if you started out at 225, and wanted to get to 150. You may not even notice much difference in the mirror if your weight loss is gradual, but you might start noticing a difference in the way your clothes fit, as in, pants you can button more easily now, or that fit a little looser. Or clothes that were too snug before now starting to fit comfortably.

Then there may be comments from folks you haven't seen for a while about how you look like you are losing weight.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
Get out a tape measure and supplement with what the scale says by measuring parts of yourself periodically. Waist at belly-button, upper arm, upper leg, hips, IMO.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
What percentage of your total body weight is that and are you exercising too?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,155 times
why not try putting on clothes smaller than the usual ones you've been wearing or the ones you've put away in the hopes that you'd lose weight again? i was actually surprised at seeing that i can wear some of my old ones again, and i look better in my current ones now

Old 05-16-2016, 11:57 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,889 times
I was like that when I hit 20 lbs...I was kinda sad, thinking I lost 20 lbs but it is barely noticeable and I am wearing the same size (albeit looser).

Then I hit 30+ lbs lost - I already had to downgrade sizes with these last 10-15 lbs THREE TIMES! I am actually starting to buy more snug clothes on me because instead of thinking I will not have to replace clothes again when I lose 5 more lbs. It gets expensive replacing clothes!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:17 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Don't get down on yourself! It's totally normal to feel that way, I think I had lost 80 pounds and was still like ''Man, I hardly notice this!'' But most others had told me they noticed a huge difference and I was long since fitting into smaller clothes by then. I actually didn't notice it too much until I started wearing smaller clothest that fit better, as the larger clothes were making me look bigger than I was. Once I got down to 100-120 pounds, I noticed it a lot. Though I always thought (and still think) my face looks chubby, even though everyone else says it doesn't.

Don't get discouraged though. If you have a lot to lose, you also won't notice 20 pounds so much. But the good news is that once you're down 20 pounds, you'll feel like you can lose another 20 like it's nothing! Or at least I did. I lost 120-ish about 6-7 years ago and have maintained it just by counting my calories and exercising accordingly to whatever I've consumed more than what I maintained at my resting BMI. Obviously though, I have to eat fewer calories than when I was like 285 pounds. My body takes much less to run now than it did then.

Has anyone else commented on it? You will probably be the last to notice it, if you're anything like me. Everyone else will first. Are your clothes fitting more loosely now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss