Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times

Advertisements

More American women are more obese than ever - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 11:09 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Actually, more 'people' are obese than ever. Goodness.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Actually, more 'people' are obese than ever. Goodness.
True, but what occurs here at home (America) is pretty concerning and the focus is on WOMEN who are more than TWICE as likely to be overweight than men.

Like the article said, I wonder why with so much more info being readily available online and so many programs educating people about eating healthy, there are still so many people still overweight.

I think it really boils down to poor choices people make and being lazy. What it is NOT is people blaming cost of "healthy" food, it is NOT people blaming things on their "culture" and what they eat.

One thing that gives hope is the increasing number of women (at least those I meet daily) who are regular gym goers who lift WEIGHTS.

Hope we start seeing the numbers of American women who battle obesity dwindle down soon.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
This is a huge problem in America, for some reason, many other countries have far less problems with obesity. In many European countries for example, you just see overall a lot more healthy weight individuals. In France and Spain for example, they care how they look, they walk a lot, and eat healthy foods in smaller proportions. Good quality food is much more important to these peoples. And of course, a lot of Asian countries are the same.

I was just reading an article in today's paper that was talking about some study that was done that showed the many young people today were not only not getting the recommended "10,000 steps per day", but that they were actually BARELY MOVING EVEN UP AND DOWN! How sad is that????

Anyway, I personally am doing all I can to stay at a healthy weight (plus look as good as I can, lol) as I age. Now in my mid 60s, and the feedback I get is I am doing more than OK! And for me, it is as much about feeling great as it is looking good.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM

163 posts, read 144,407 times
I agree with the above poster. Lazy and poor choices. We live in a society where people want things now, such as food. It's so sad and it's everywhere I turn it seems.

I'm a woman who lift weights and unfortunately I don't see many women trying to lift. Some yes, but most lift enough weight that's about the same weight as their hairdryer and taking long breaks in-between. (thumbs down) (annoying while waiting)

Old 06-07-2016, 12:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,230,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
True, but what occurs here at home (America) is pretty concerning and the focus is on WOMEN who are more than TWICE as likely to be overweight than men.
Women are at a much higher risk than men for weight gain because of so many hormonal and biological factors. They already have less lean body mass and slower metabolisms; add in pregnancies, menopause, other hormonal fluctuations, a much higher incidence of thyroid disease, conditions like PCOS and so on.
I've frequently heard women complaining that their husbands would lose 10 lbs a month just giving up soda, while they lived on salads and water and the weight wouldn't budge.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:08 PM

951 posts, read 1,141,150 times
The recent wave of it's okay to be big and beautiful, curvy , and the surplus of people endorsing this new genre doesn't help either.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:17 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,823,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post

Like the article said, I wonder why with so much more info being readily available online and so many programs educating people about eating healthy, there are still so many people still overweight.

I think it really boils down to poor choices people make and being lazy. What it is NOT is people blaming cost of "healthy" food, it is NOT people blaming things on their "culture" and what they eat.

One thing that gives hope is the increasing number of women (at least those I meet daily) who are regular gym goers who lift WEIGHTS.

Hope we start seeing the numbers of American women who battle obesity dwindle down soon.
My husband and I noticed how many more obese woman there are than men on our recent trip. We were in New Orleans, Memphis and Nashville and it was about 3 to 1 for women being fatter than the men. We were discussing why that might be. But its the sad truth.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Women are at a much higher risk than men for weight gain because of so many hormonal and biological factors. They already have less lean body mass and slower metabolisms; add in pregnancies, menopause, other hormonal fluctuations, a much higher incidence of thyroid disease, conditions like PCOS and so on.
I've frequently heard women complaining that their husbands would lose 10 lbs a month just giving up soda, while they lived on salads and water and the weight wouldn't budge.
This^^^ Women have to work a lot harder and eat a lot less than men in order to stay thin. Certainly some of it is laziness, but a lot of it is plain biological disadvantage.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM

857 posts, read 844,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
This^^^ Women have to work a lot harder and eat a lot less than men in order to stay thin. Certainly some of it is laziness, but a lot of it is plain biological disadvantage.

Hear your point, but nevertheless American women are not in a different biological category as compared to their counterparts in the rest of the world or rather countries where not so many women are fat. There is a general misunderstanding, and probably not just in America, that a skinny (read frail) woman is the epitome of beauty/health. I would tend to disagree and rather say those who engage in frequent physical activity, be it a bit 'bulkier' (e.g., some Crossfit chicks) are more visually appealing, as well as stronger and healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss