Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 PM

586 posts, read 835,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Tofu is quite popular in both vegan and vegetarian diets. Wheat gluten is also used for some to up their protein intake. I know lots of vegetarians as well as vegans and my daughter who is a vegan. Its hard for vegans especially to get protein just from vegetables so nut butters and tofu are very popular.
Luckyd609, this was exactly what I was thinking when I said most vegetarian dishes consists of tofu. It is there as a protein source since most vegetables does not have a significant amount of it. I looked at an online vegetarian cookbook, and I would say majority of it had tofu in it, a few were of steamed vegetables or stir fry veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:52 PM

586 posts, read 835,970 times
Darn it, the mock meat I bought were expensive...much more than fresh real food, I will never buy them again. I think I will go back to eating chicken breast, although I do like dark meat better, chicken breast is too dry, but I dont hate it. Is salmon ok to eat too? I love salmon out of all the fishes (halibut too but thats out of the price range, almost $15 a lb lol).

Old 06-23-2016, 09:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,261,618 times
I say this lovingly: chicken breast isn't supposed to be dry. It requires a different cooking technique than dark meat, but once you get the hang of a few simple tricks, it's delicious. Simplest way: pan-sear until it's just a little pink in the middle, transfer to a plate, loosely cover with a piece of foil and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes. Done.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 AM

29,783 posts, read 34,555,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I say this lovingly: chicken breast isn't supposed to be dry. It requires a different cooking technique than dark meat, but once you get the hang of a few simple tricks, it's delicious. Simplest way: pan-sear until it's just a little pink in the middle, transfer to a plate, loosely cover with a piece of foil and let it sit for maybe 10 minutes. Done.
Marinading it might help, too.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:31 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,466,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I am as lazy as can be when it comes to food prep. What I do is grill it and its fine. Or, I just nuke it in the microwave with cayenne pepper, garlic powder and olive oil. Never had any issues with dryness. Its quick, easy and tasty.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,550,827 times
It doesn't take any longer for me to cook a vegetarian meal than it did to cook a meal with meat. If you have a slow-cooker, it becomes even easier for things like vegetarian chili. Just fill it up, turn it on, and walk away.

Carbs are not evil or unhealthy across the board. Even simple carbs have a place, like quick refueling during a long workout of more than an hour or a lot of strenuous activity like downhill skiing.

Complex carbs are great, like the kind you get in most fruits and vegetables, whole grains (not white bread), and beans, lentils, and peas. Lentils and black beans are probably the vegetarian's best friend. You get a lot of protein per cup for not a lot of calories, and they are high in fiber. Between the protein and fiber, they are very filling. Lentils have almost no fat.

A good rule of thumb is to eat food with as little processing as possible.

And now I think I will make curried lentils for dinner tonight!

P.S. There is a vegetarian board on here. You can get a lot of information there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss