Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,413,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunklesnarf View Post
They fear eating fat because of the POLITICAL Senator McGovern nonsense fed to us back in 1970.

MEDICAL DOCTORS ARE LAUGHABLE IDIOTS........
Not true RickSantos from Florida who is here under a new profile name. Doctors and not idiots. Senator McGovern is not to be blamed for this. People make conscious decision to avoid fat because they know too much fat (especially from bad sources) is unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
The majority of science points to food consumption from a wide variety of sources with the majority of the nutrients coming from whole, plant based products and minimal animal product consumption as being the healthiest dietary intake.

Last edited by Just A Guy; 07-25-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 11:23 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
While at a new D.O. appt yesterday, the fat issue came up. I could do well with about less 10 lbs and it just hangs on. The doctor said "more fat" and then I went into the Coconut Oil that I've been taking for some yrs but maybe I need a little more. Then I thought of this book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" and posing the info here:

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-.../dp/0452285666

We both agreed much much less carbs. And he's very very anti statin drug, also does not buy into the cholesterol fear.
"

Old 07-26-2016, 01:56 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
I've been wanting to just stop taking a statin. I know my numbers would go up and my doctor would get on my case about it. I wonder if I would feel better without it? I've been taking them so long that I may not even take notice of side effects.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I've been wanting to just stop taking a statin. I know my numbers would go up and my doctor would get on my case about it. I wonder if I would feel better without it? I've been taking them so long that I may not even take notice of side effects.
The one friend I have who had been on statins 30 yrs and ended up with 15 yrs of neuropathy, then years of drugs for the neuropathy....good grief what she went thru with those statins BUT she trusted her doc and his fear of cholesterol he instilled in her. Other side effects she lived with were nausea and dizziness.

I think she's off statins and off the other drugs and LOVES the grape seed extract she is now taking about 5 yrs...

I would wish you could find a more holistic MD to get off the damaging statins. Some doctors GGrrrrrrrrr

Ask your MD to test your homocysteine levels, as latest research is that this issue is more the heart issue culprit Not cholesterol. Again, doctors GGGrrrrrr, so many doctors are old old thinkers.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:21 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
While at a new D.O. appt yesterday, the fat issue came up. I could do well with about less 10 lbs and it just hangs on. The doctor said "more fat" and then I went into the Coconut Oil that I've been taking for some yrs but maybe I need a little more. Then I thought of this book "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" and posing the info here:

https://www.amazon.com/Eat-Fat-Lose-.../dp/0452285666

We both agreed much much less carbs. And he's very very anti statin drug, also does not buy into the cholesterol fear.
"
Less carbs as in what?
  1. Foods that have them as nutrients as well as a host of other nutrients? Vegetables? Fruits? Legumes? Whole grains? Oatmeal?
  2. Or processed food that have them as the main nutrient? White flour? Sugar? Sodas?
  3. Or processed foods that are made up of carbs and fats? Donuts? Cookies? Crackers? Ice Cream? Dairy?
What did your D.O. tell you about the difference between the first group and the second two groups?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 PM

We did not go into which carbs, I know this one. I personally have NOT brought a loaf of bread, bagels, buns, anything like this into my house for probably 7 yrs. I get enough carbs from what I do eat, but cut out the dead carbs.

I'll break down with a cookie now and then, or some pizza but it's infrequent. And no breads or those gross high carb bagels, bad stuff. I'll have a sweat potatoe sauted with celery today and the sweets are a veggie carb. I toss in turkey sausage and quite yummy dinner.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
The one friend I have who had been on statins 30 yrs and ended up with 15 yrs of neuropathy, then years of drugs for the neuropathy....good grief what she went thru with those statins BUT she trusted her doc and his fear of cholesterol he instilled in her. Other side effects she lived with were nausea and dizziness.

I think she's off statins and off the other drugs and LOVES the grape seed extract she is now taking about 5 yrs...

I would wish you could find a more holistic MD to get off the damaging statins. Some doctors GGrrrrrrrrr

Ask your MD to test your homocysteine levels, as latest research is that this issue is more the heart issue culprit Not cholesterol. Again, doctors GGGrrrrrr, so many doctors are old old thinkers.
I am a diabetic and I've always attributed my neuropathy in my feet to the time I spent undiagnosed and without adequately controlling my blood sugar. The BG is under control but I still take the statin and am still experiencing neuropathy in my feet. You have got me thinking seriously about just stopping and to hell with the cholesterol. If I just quit cold turkey and wait a month or two (I hope) to see if my conditions improve I will continue on that course. I just started taking the grape seed extract as well as turmeric extract last week and am hoping to see improvements in joint pain and allergy symptoms I am experiencing. I've been taking statins for about 10 years so how long do you think it would take before I see relief, if any if I stop?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:07 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,765,515 times
Quote:
We did not go into which carbs, I know this one. I personally have NOT brought a loaf of bread, bagels, buns, anything like this into my house for probably 7 yrs. I get enough carbs from what I do eat, but cut out the dead carbs.

I'll break down with a cookie now and then, or some pizza but it's infrequent. And no breads or those gross high carb bagels, bad stuff. I'll have a sweat potatoe sauted with celery today and the sweets are a veggie carb. I toss in turkey sausage and quite yummy dinner.
Jaminhealth, have you ever heard of Fathead Pizza?

OMG, it is THE BEST low carb pizza ever! Way better than pizza using the low carb tortillas. This Fathead stuff is simply A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!! Very quick and easy to make, so yummy, very filling, and low carb. When I make it, I add some fresh rosemary from my garden to the crust, I layer basil leaves from my garden on top, wonderful cheeses, sausage and pepperoni, lots of garlic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss