Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 09:24 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,094 times

Advertisements

Male, 64, 5'9, start 210, goal 170.

Actually I should title this "How I'm Doing It" because this will be a lifetime regime. I had a bit of a weight problem because I have a weight problem - sounds redundant but really isn't. You need to come to grips with the fact that this is a lifetime marathon, not a sprint to the finish line.

- First I believe you must really really want to lose weight. Into your deepest soul you want to lose. You can't be "I should lose", you can't be "my SO/Dr. wants me to lose", you can't even be "I'd like to lose". You have to WANT to lose.

- Second, you need to learn about and understand your body. What affects it and how. Only the individual can do this. For me, bread and potatoes are killers.

- you need to set very reasonable goals. This is a lifetime journey. Mine were a max of 2/3 pound and a minimum of 1/3 pound per week. What good is losing 20 pounds in 3 weeks if you gain 30 back the next month?

- You probably need to throw in some extra exercise in there. Not so much you avoid it or is unnaturally intense, but enough to get the blood flowing and burn off a few calories.

- I believe against conventional wisdom, that you need to weigh yourself every day at the same time and religiously record it. I get up, pee and weight - every morning. (I wrote a nice spreadsheet that helps) You need to look at the numbers and think about them. After a week or so it will become such a habit that before you put anything in your mouth, you flash forward to the scale. Since you really WANT to lose, you won't avoid the scale. You will likely see your weight going up and down on a daily basis but over time you'll see it trending down - week by week. I looked more at my average over the entire week, rather than individual days. Over my first 7 or 8 months, I lost day over day about 50% of the time, gained 40% and stayed the same 10% (the downs were bigger than the ups). Week average was down 85% of the time. Monthly floating average was nearly 100% down.

- You need to know that this is a lifetime diet. It doesn't end when you reach your goal. Fat is just waiting in the wings for the least little excuse to move back in. For this reason, you can't count calories. That is inaccurate and unsustainable. You need to be aware of calories, what has a lot and what doesn't. I pretty much eat what I want, just in smaller quantities. I also didn't deprive myself of my nightly glass or 3 or wine. It is all about portion control. You'll soon see what works and what doesn't by looking at your numbers.

Now I only needed to lose 40 pounds and I reached my 'goal' 2 months ago after a bit over a year. I have trained my whole eating system to this process and now the thought of a full meal almost makes me sick. I stopped the daily weigh-in and after 2 months lost another pound - basically maintaining my goal weight. Once or twice a week I have a bowl of real ice cream. Have some cookies or candies occasionally. I avoid starches. I'm about to go out and buy my 2nd replacement belt (what a good feeling that is!). Eating out always has me bringing at least half back home.

I could say it has taken me a year but it is really only 12 months of the rest of my life.

Take this for what it's worth but it has and is working for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Actually, you must *really really want to make a lifestyle lifelong change* which is much more involved and in depth than just losing weight.
Good luck.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:36 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
Great job and attitude! You have found what works for you and approach it like it is a lifetime thing, and that is excellent!

Old 10-17-2016, 03:52 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Impressive at your age; most people are stuck (and firmly entrenched) in their ways by then.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:44 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I agree with the OP. We need to stop think about going on a "diet" and start eat healthy foods and paying attention to our portions. I am a 61 year old female, 5'1" tall and last year at this time I weighed 169 pounds. I was borderline diabetic. My doctor put me on Metformin which seemed to curtail my appetite and once I saw a few pounds coming off I got serious about what I was eating.

No more Coca-Cola with my dinner and snacking while watching TV. Cut my portions down and rarely eat carbs like pasta or white bread. I allow myself a bagel, which I love, once a week instead of having one most mornings. I lost 15 pounds without too much effort and that continued even after I quit smoking. Then I joined a gym in May. I'm down to 149 and my clothes don't fit anymore. That is always a good feeling.

I was always a slim person till I hit my 30's and had my children. Then lack of exercise, eating too much and depression all hit and I went from 120 to 173 at my highest. You are never too old to try and improve your health.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Impressive at your age; most people are stuck (and firmly entrenched) in their ways by then.
Thus the REALLY WANT requirement. Too easy to quit if you don't.

Same when I quit smoking years ago. You can't be wishy washy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss