Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2016, 07:38 PM

586 posts, read 831,434 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, quick question. I started running less than a week ago, love the energy but my calves and shins (lower legs basically) are killing me during the process and after.

I know im fairly new, but does the pain ever go away as i get used to it or will the pain be persistent for as long as I run? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 08:00 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Do you do any stretching before running? If not, you should. You also need to drink a LOT of plain water because dehydration can be a big factor.

If you are having shin splints that aren't going away or lessening already, you need to tone it down for a bit. That means stretching, and WALKING until your tendons warm up and stretch. Walk the first mile, then build up from there. Do NOT force yourself through pain that gets REAL bad, as that will simply cause long lasting damage.

Make sure you have proper socks and footwear also. Shoes can make an amazing difference, and you need to be properly fitted for your feet.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
MikeBear is right. You need to stretch and build up your distance. You just started. Anytime anyone starts something new with physical exercise the body is adjusting and you need to start slow and build up.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:19 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times
Too much, too soon = overuse injury.

Quit running until the pain goes away. Then start much more conservatively next time. Also, look into some good running shoes based on your particular foot structure.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
Hi guys, quick question. I started running less than a week ago, love the energy but my calves and shins (lower legs basically) are killing me during the process and after.

I know im fairly new, but does the pain ever go away as i get used to it or will the pain be persistent for as long as I run? Thanks
I will join the chorus and say to make sure you are warming up correctly and to make sure you have the right running shoes. I find that the shoes are the most common reason for shin pain however. Muscle pain like in the calves can be helped with warm-up and stretching but if you still have shin pain after that it is probably your shoes.

Also shin pain can be from having bad form. Believe it or not there is a right way and a wrong way to jog and run. Which part of your foot hits the ground first matters very much. Some say heelstrike is bad. Others say heelstrike is not so bad IF you have the right shoes.

Here are some basics:

https://runnersconnect.net/running-t...nning-cadence/

Here are some more links:

Facts on Foot Strike | Runner's World

Footstrike 101: How Should Your Foot Hit The Ground? | Competitor.com

Heel Strike Uses Less Energy Than Midfoot Strike | Runner's World

People tend to get injured when they just say one day, "I am going to run" and they put on whatever sneakers they have in the closet. I do not know if that is what you did but if it is my advice is to stop for a week and to read about running, stretching and form.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:20 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
It'll eventually go away.

Aches and pains are a normal part of beginning running (even experienced too).

When I ran after a long layoff, I always got nasty shin splints.

I took it easy, and when I got better, increased the mileage.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
I second the comments about stretching and the right shoes. Go to a running store and have them fit you for the right shoes. I was having calf pain when running and the right shoes made a huge difference.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:04 AM

14 posts, read 13,708 times
Massage and stretching after running. For me the most effective tool to get rid of the pain in legs from running/walking is a black foam roller. I have this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss