Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 10:56 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Also, BMI of 27 -- never heard of that.

Generally it's >40, 35-40 diabetic/pre-diabetic, 30+ for serious weight-related health issues. I cannot imagine at 27 without some very unusual circumstances you'd be a candidate for it. Insurance certainly will not pay for it and I doubt you'd even be able to find a surgeon willing to perform for someone who is just moderately overweight.
That is what I thought... but I actually read that a BMI of 27 or a bit higher could acutlly be a canidate for covered surgery ( though wait times could be longer). I was surprised about that myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I had it nearly 5 years ago. I have posted in numerous threads here about it. I have kept off every single pound.

It's an additional tool not a crutch. It's all about changing your lifestyle once post-op.
Do you feel that you could have eventually lost the weight on your own if you had not had the surgery, but made the changes that your implemented post surgery before the surgery. I know it would have taken a long time ( ex possibly 1 to 2 years).

Or do you feel that the extra weight was the crutch ex making it harder to exercise or keep motivated?

Old 11-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Diet and exercise will be what maintains it.
My wonder is how many calorie per day? I know during the transition period the calorie intake is a lot less because you have to graudally work your way up. I also know it will varry per person, but I am really curious about how many calories per lb of body weight is in the plan to maintain weight?

Ex If the max intake is suppose to be 1000 kcal per day and you were eating 4000 kcal per day before. Then even if you made the change to eating 1000 kcal per day you would loose weight if you maintained this intake.

I am trying to make my own changes .... I am not at a weight where surgery is an option ( lipo suction ( at least that was the impression that I got ... though the people in the pictures look a similar size to me in the before picture) or gastric surgery as I am not morbidly obese. People often see these 2 options as the faster answers... but I am not feeling that it is really like that.

I think this is going to be my new pet project.... . This is one challenge I have never been able to master in my own life.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:14 PM

13,241 posts, read 7,295,079 times
CO-worker got gastric bypass it's the most invasive only usually done on people who are extremely obese. The co-worker I would say was around 375 lbs at his peak 5'10 male. He had been like that since his 20's he was in his 40's when I met him. Post surgery he said he could not eat anything that had sugar in it like candy, cakes, and soda's he would just throw it backup. He lost 150 lbs in a few months had to have skin taken off. He was told by his doctors that he would never be able to eat deserts again candy he could have fruits. He worked with me for another 5 years and never gained the weight back in fact he had a tough time keeping weight on he got so thin he had to eat high starchy foods. Lots of YouTube video logging people post surgery.

He said it was the best thing he had ever did and turn his life around he had been depressed for years and tried many diets but always gained it back it was the only way he could do it while he was still healthy enough to enjoy life. I think at some point when it should be an option you only have so much time of your life living in depression and obesity should not consume your life.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:43 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
GB is performed on many obese not just the "extremely". And not everyone has dumping syndrome- the sugar reaction. In fact, it's relatively rare.

Op I can confidently say I'd never have lost the weight, ever without surgery. I'd been dieting since I was 10 without much success. The surgery afforded me a new life. End of story.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:57 PM

505 posts, read 583,756 times
I'm not sure how mainstream this is, but I'd get Bariatric Embolization before gastric bypass...

Bariatric Embolization Studied As Potential Treatment for Morbid Obesity - The Mount Sinai Hospital

It's what I want to get, but my BMI is 26.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,780,146 times
I had the gastric sleeve done in sept of 2014, I've lost 120 lbs,, gained back 14 lbs and am fluctuating up and down with those 14 lbs.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
GB is performed on many obese not just the "extremely". And not everyone has dumping syndrome- the sugar reaction. In fact, it's relatively rare.

Op I can confidently say I'd never have lost the weight, ever without surgery. I'd been dieting since I was 10 without much success. The surgery afforded me a new life. End of story.
What made the difference for you? Were you less hungry? Or was it fear of the consequences of eating too much? Was it a mental/emotional change in your relationship with food?

I've seen some friends have weight loss surgery and do very well, and others have the surgery and gain the weight back. I'm curious about what makes it successful in some and not in others.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times
Quote:
I had it nearly 5 years ago. I have posted in numerous threads here about it. I have kept off every single pound.

It's an additional tool not a crutch. It's all about changing your lifestyle once post-op.
Stupid question from a slimmer person:

Why didn't you change your lifestyle before the operation? I always wanted to ask that question. If you are able to change your eating habits why didn't you do that the past X years to lose weight?

Old 11-30-2016, 02:17 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I was reading about this and wondering if anyone out there has had this done and want to share their experiences. I am not morbidly obese... but I was reading that this option is now even being done on people with BMI of around 27 or just about.

Questions I have are does it really work for long term weight management? Or is the surgery not really what makes things work ... but the the lifestyle changes ex changes in diet and exercise that actually cause the changes?

If you have been very thin or in your acceptable weight range all your life and are commenting please state that because as you have not live experience your opinion likely reflects that ( ex I just screaming out just diet and excerise are all you need and you have always been in your ideal body weight range ... please note that might be all YOU need... but not really be working for someone else). Living it is totally different then observe it.

I am really curious about this especially because I am starting to wonder how common it is?
It's my understanding that there are some risks with bariatric surgery and surgery is considered for those whose risks of extreme obesity-associated morbidity or mortality outweighs (sorry about the pun ) the risk of the surgery. I can't believe a reputable medical professional would advocate for bariatric surgery on someone with a BMI of 27. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery states that a BMI of equal to or greater than 40, or equal to or greater than 35 for an individual with two co-morbidities (such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiac disease) would be criteria used to consider bariatric surgery.

https://asmbs.org/patients/who-is-a-...iatric-surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss