Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 10:51 AM

621 posts, read 1,622,844 times

Advertisements

I am 43 years old. Recently (last 3-4 years) I have put on some pounds. I used to go to the gym 3-4 a week, kept my weight around 180. Since my daughter was born 4 years ago, spare time flew out the window. Recently went to the doctor when I was sick, and the scale read 210. Party foul. So, after I recovered, I started P90X. My wife and I did P90X the year we got married, 2010. Did the entire workout, I went from 180-165. Felt great. Started it this time at a higher weight. Last time, and this time, not following the diet to the letter, but I did give up soda, cookies, cake.. all (or most) of the bad stuff. I track my calories at every meal, been hovering around 1800 calories a day. I lost 13 lbs in the first 4 weeks, going good. Now, in the last 2 week, only lost another 2 lbs. But my belt has gone down another notch (3" so far), so it feels like I am still losing weight, just not showing on the scale. Do I need to bump up my calorie intake slightly? Or just chill, and keep at it? Not frustrated completely, but slightly confused. My goal is 175 lbs (I am 5'-8"). I realize it may take more than 90 days, I'm good with that, nothing but time. But, I want to keep making progress.

Any thoughts? Blast away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:10 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Two pounds a weeks excellent, especially for a person over 40. It is not uncommon to only lose one even when you are doing everything right.
Just focus on your diet, eat whole foods from all the food groups, stay away from processed or prepackaged foods. Eat lots of veggies, drink lots of water and watch your calories just like you have been doing.
Keep exercising and always try and push yourself a little further. You may or may not need to bump up your calories depending on your body size and composition. No one here can answer that for you. Go to any number of health/diet websites and plug in your info and you should get a rough idea of what you need. My Fitness Pal and Spark People are both good, and I am sure there are many more.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 510 times
Patience is the key to progressive weight loss you clearly seem to understand that so I can tell that your definitely on the right track.

Remember being over 40 now means that your body is going through several changes (metabolic and hormonal). These also need to be accounted for as you move forward. Losing weight just isn't about diet but there are also things that you need to consider:

Sleep. Are you getting enough of it? Poor sleep cycles forces your body to store fat EVEN if your are eating a clean diet. So keep that in mind.

Stay Active. Formal exercise is important but it's only one piece of the puzzle. You'll go a long way if you can find daily activities/habits that will keep you active. Recreational activities like walking, hiking etc. will serve you well in the long run.

Mindset. All is the mind my friend. Getting your body in shape is more of a mental battle than a physical one. See yourself getting there, believe that you can do it and everything will fall in line.

Don't make the diet more complicated than it needs to be. Remember don't get to caught up in calorie counting, the key to weight loss is making those healthy foods (lean meats, veggies, fruit, nuts) the bulk of your diet. Sounds like you already cut a lot of the junk out of your diet which is a great start.

I say, keep at it. Make it simple as possible and you'll get quicker results.

Deleted link. Advertising.

Last edited by in_newengland; 04-06-2017 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 04-06-2017, 11:01 AM

621 posts, read 1,622,844 times
Thanks. I was really trying to ignore the age factor, lol. I honestly don't feel 43, more like mid 30's. Then, I look in the mirror... It's ok though. I plan to complete P90X, take a week off, then start again. I'll keep tracking my calories and may make some tweeks as I go. Still, going on 6 weeks with no soda and no donuts... we usually have donuts in the office every Friday, not even phased by them anymore. Bigger things ahead. And not my pants!! lol

Old 04-09-2017, 12:08 AM

22,026 posts, read 25,384,711 times
I'd mix it up. I've done P90X for brief stints when I was travelling a lot of work (used those goofy bands, much easier to fit in my bag than weights). It gets really boring, really fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss