Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times

Advertisements

People, seriously. He knows he's very overweight. He knows he "eats too much". He doesn't need people to state the obvious. And it also does little help to poop on depression as a reason for massive weight gain. In fact it shows ignorance. Stress can lead to stress eating. It's not so easy just to put down a fork.

In my opinion, you need to do both...you need to reduce your calories and eat better and work out. I value exercise and honestly it's probably the main reason why I look the way that I look. I do watch what I eat but I also make sure I burn calories as well. Personally I'd start with downloading a fitness app. I use lose it. Find out how many calories you need to lose weight. That's your daily budget. That will help you plan your meals. Try and train your body to eat smaller portions. For example, pasta shoukd be one cup, so shoukd rice. A jumbo sized baked potato is the equivalent of two servings. Meat shoukd be the size of a deck of cards give or take. Try to eat more fruits and veggies. Perhaps have a cheat meal or two once you've stuck to eating healthier. Building muscle isn't a bad idea as it will make you look better and maybe motivate you to keep on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I'm on my own weight-loss quest right now - looking to lose just 50 pounds though. I'm doing Nutrisystem, and it's going ok. Slowly chipping away at the weight. I've done Weight Watchers years ago and I used MyFitnessPal to great success last year before getting derailed in the same manner you did.

I actually spend less on food with NutriSystem (I like to cook and to try new restaurants, so I spent like crazy on food) and the lack of prep time means I am saving a ton of time. Between the money and the time saved, it's worth it for that alone. But because they provide the food, I"m also learning a ton about portion size and spacing out my eating times as well as tradeoffs (as in letting myself have a tiny burger, but not the french fries I would normally have with that). I basically eat six times a day in little bursts of 120-220 calories and I drink a TON of unsweetened tea and water with citrus.

It's not really a lifetime plan, as far as I'm concerned. I will eventually combine it with something like Weight Watchers or MyFitnessPal once I've reached my goal weight in order to maintain. But it has been very eye opening. I think in your situation it would be helpful because it would kind of tell you exactly what you need to do. There's not a ton of choice involved in it. My friend's daughter (who is nearly 40), lost 150 lbs. on NutriSystem, and I can understand why she was able to do it.

I would also look into the idea of meditation. Mindfulness is key to my weight loss plans - so much of my weight gain was due to mindless eating to adjust my mood or ease anxiety. I went off the diet today to meet with a friend, and while I ate too much, I stopped with most of my side dish still in the basket, which I would never have done before. I was full and there was no point in finishing it - I was just eating for the sensation. So even though I cheated today, the way I managed it was progress.

Exercise is something I'm having trouble with right now - sprained ankle that won't heal, possibly dying dog I don't want to be apart from for too long (hopefully resolving that soon), endless administrative details having to do with my elderly father who is 2,000 miles away. But in 5 minutes I'm going out for a walk with the dog that is healthy. In your case, I'd forget about gym exercise - diet is the more important part by far. As others have suggested, WALK. Even if you can't manage very far, it will do you good and not just from the perspective of burning calories - your mood and motivation will improve. And you can build up your endurance over time. I'm not even sure it would be safe for you to do strenuous exercise at nearly 500 pounds - I would take it easy with that, for sure. Take some weight off with diet first to lighten the load on your joints and organs.

But mostly for the future, I would work on learning to cook. Once you know how to grill a chicken breast so that it doesn't come out dry and tasteless or how to roast a pan of veggies or any simple skills like that, you have the keys to maintaining a healthy diet free of any plan. One of my favorite things right now is to slice up some zucchini, portabello mushrooms and red peppers and marinate them briefly in a mixture of pureed herbs, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice before slapping them on the Foreman Grill. It's just yummy and it's so darn easy.
Good for you. I lost on Nutrisystem too. It works while you are on it, but be very careful once you stop.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:05 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,364,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good for you. I lost on Nutrisystem too. It works while you are on it, but be very careful once you stop.
I know! I am stunned with what constitutes a normal portion size in Nutrisystem. For some reason, this never really sunk in with my previous successful weight loss efforts, and I think it may be the key issue for me. I'm racking my brain to come up with strategies right now for dealing with this once I do hit goal.

So far my plan is to set an acceptable "band" for my weight to fall within, weight myself daily, measure portion sizes carefully and go back on the nutrisystem plan if necessary when I fall outside that band. That whole "put half your meal in a carry-out box" concept when you go to a restaurant is also really resonating with me right now.

OP, it also occurred to me that you should REALLY look at how much of your daily calories you may be drinking. One of the easiest changes you can make is to cut out the soda, juice and alcohol. I drink a lot of ice water with lemon or lime in it, and I also bought an iced tea maker and an electric tea kettle. I drink a TON of tea every day, whether iced or hot. If I drink one beer or glass of wine in a month, that's a lot. And once in a great while, I will have a diet soda.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Were I you, I'd start with:

-- a registered dietician and a general check-up to see if your health is okay to begin exercising.

--Then I might join a program such as Weight Watchers.

--You might consider consulting with a psychologist.

The thing is, you're going to have to change your relationship with food forever. If you're eating for emotional reasons, you just might gain the weight back unless you uncover why you're over-eating.

None of this is easy. But it's doable. Love yourself enough to do what you need to do to eat to nourish your body in a healthy way.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-16-2017, 10:40 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I know! I am stunned with what constitutes a normal portion size in Nutrisystem. For some reason, this never really sunk in with my previous successful weight loss efforts, and I think it may be the key issue for me. I'm racking my brain to come up with strategies right now for dealing with this once I do hit goal.

So far my plan is to set an acceptable "band" for my weight to fall within, weight myself daily, measure portion sizes carefully and go back on the nutrisystem plan if necessary when I fall outside that band. That whole "put half your meal in a carry-out box" concept when you go to a restaurant is also really resonating with me right now.

OP, it also occurred to me that you should REALLY look at how much of your daily calories you may be drinking. One of the easiest changes you can make is to cut out the soda, juice and alcohol. I drink a lot of ice water with lemon or lime in it, and I also bought an iced tea maker and an electric tea kettle. I drink a TON of tea every day, whether iced or hot. If I drink one beer or glass of wine in a month, that's a lot. And once in a great while, I will have a diet soda.
It really sounds as though you have a good handle on it.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:06 AM

117 posts, read 257,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I dont care what you say, if you are 480 lbs, you look like it. There is no "I dont look like it" about it, you are EXTREMELY OVERWEIGHT.

What you need to do is educate yourself on proper nutrition. DONT DIET. DONT DO ANY OF THE WEIRD FAD DIETS YOU FIND ON THE INTERNET. Learn about proper nutrition FIRST, while starting to do any type of exercise you can do.

Do you have gym membership?
Ha! Some random internet guy is going to tell ME what I look like

And yep, i'm in the gym. As mentioned in OP, i'm working out 5 days pe week.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 PM

1 posts, read 569 times
Default hey, buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
Okay, so I'm massively overweight (about 480 lbs) even though I don't look like it because of the way I distribute weight.

Anyways, it's time to lose some damn weight, and this isn't my first rodeo. I had a personal trainer and got to a point where I was doing two-a-day workouts. Once in the morning and once after school. I got down to around 380. Depression hit after I lost a few family members, combine that with the fact that I started a new job where I worked crazy hours and now i'm back at [mod] implied obscenities not allowed either [/mod]480 pounds a few years later.

Mentally, I'm ready to make a change and now it's just a matte of figuring out what the hell i'm doing as far as nutrition and workouts. I'm back in the gym 5 days per week, but I refuse to get a personal trainer because it's a money racket, and I simply don't have to cash to give them for something I can probably learn on my own.

If anybody has any pointers for someone in my situation on where to start this journey that would be great. I'm already forming some really great habits, but I want to make sure that I don't hit a wall in which i'm working out but not losing much weight. One thing that has been suggested is that I work on building as much lean muscle as I can.

Thanks in Advance.
Hey man, i understand how you are feeling. The main thing with losing weight is your diet. You cannot outwork a bad diet. I can give you a link if you want to see a diet program that might help you out? [url]http://bit.ly/2p5zB8b[/url]

Good luck on your journey sir! Remember to watch your diet, as it is the main culprit of not being able to lose weight!

Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
People, seriously. He knows he's very overweight. He knows he "eats too much". He doesn't need people to state the obvious. And it also does little help to poop on depression as a reason for massive weight gain. In fact it shows ignorance. Stress can lead to stress eating. It's not so easy just to put down a fork.

In my opinion, you need to do both...you need to reduce your calories and eat better and work out. I value exercise and honestly it's probably the main reason why I look the way that I look. I do watch what I eat but I also make sure I burn calories as well. Personally I'd start with downloading a fitness app. I use lose it. Find out how many calories you need to lose weight. That's your daily budget. That will help you plan your meals. Try and train your body to eat smaller portions. For example, pasta shoukd be one cup, so shoukd rice. A jumbo sized baked potato is the equivalent of two servings. Meat shoukd be the size of a deck of cards give or take. Try to eat more fruits and veggies. Perhaps have a cheat meal or two once you've stuck to eating healthier. Building muscle isn't a bad idea as it will make you look better and maybe motivate you to keep on.
Muscle adds weight but muscle burns fat. This is a very good post in my opinion, helpful and not judgmental. That's what it is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil96 View Post
Hey man, i understand how you are feeling. The main thing with losing weight is your diet. You cannot outwork a bad diet. I can give you a link if you want to see a diet program that might help you out? http://bit.ly/2p5zB8b

Good luck on your journey sir! Remember to watch your diet, as it is the main culprit of not being able to lose weight!
Another good post, IMO. But, the url doesn't work and I would like to look at the diet....<s>

I am trying to lose weight. 73 years old, diagnosed with breast cancer and over weight. The oncologist told me it will all be for naught if I don't lose the weight as my cancer is estrogen fed and fat makes estrogen. So......I'm trying. I am a compulsive eater so, again, I just have to keep trying. I hope coming here will also be beneficial, after I go out and run around my office bldg. 3 times.....lol.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:37 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm on my 10th week on Nutrisytem and have lost 2 lbs per week, from 222 to 202 and going down. I absolutely love the program. I find the frozen food delicious, particularly now that I've customized the menu with all my favorites. I either have a big salad or a plate of veggies along with the dinner entree and I'm never hungry. I have to say that at first I was STUNNED by the difference in portion size compared to what I used to eat. No WONDER I got fat. My goal is 180. I'm an even 6', so I think that will be fine, basically what I was in college. Not sure when, or if, I will go off the plan, it's so EASY.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm on my 10th week on Nutrisytem and have lost 2 lbs per week, from 222 to 202 and going down. I absolutely love the program. I find the frozen food delicious, particularly now that I've customized the menu with all my favorites. I either have a big salad or a plate of veggies along with the dinner entree and I'm never hungry. I have to say that at first I was STUNNED by the difference in portion size compared to what I used to eat. No WONDER I got fat. My goal is 180. I'm an even 6', so I think that will be fine, basically what I was in college. Not sure when, or if, I will go off the plan, it's so EASY.
Its great that this works for you. It is kind of alarming to look at actual portion sizes we should be eating compared to what is considered normal.
If and when you decide to go off the program invest in a food scale. That will help tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss