Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 12:45 PM

903 posts, read 588,895 times

Advertisements

I'm mostly a vegan. But mine is because I'm allergic to most meat and dairy.

Oreo cookies and chips are vegan. If I only ate those, I would not live very long, nor be healthy.

I did read the study, I guess I need to do that to see how far it went beyond just titles.

cd :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:52 PM

903 posts, read 588,895 times
Study seems to only be looking at vegetarians, and the abstract notes:

Quote:
Vegetarian diet status was assessed by baseline questionnaire
So, it doesn't seem like their diet was actually monitored beyond the questionnaire. Also, not sure if it mentions time frames. Were they a meat eater (fleshie :O) ) for most of their life and then changed. Were they a life-long Vegetarian? Finally, as others have noted, Vegan is not the same as vegetarian.

cd :O)

Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM

7,176 posts, read 12,759,276 times
Vegetarian diets are not all the same. You can eat a highly processed vegetarian diet. You can be an obese vegetarian living on potato chips and fries and faux soy burgers and hot dogs and faux cheese with lots of additives. Or you can be a vegetarian eating whole foods and grains with little to no processed foods. Which group of vegetarians were studied?

These "studies" can be skewed by the funders' wishes for a certain outcome. I put very little trust into them. Look to the Blue Zones or the China Study for populations and what their diet/lifestyle is....they lived longer and with fewer health problems than the majority of other populations.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:47 PM

89,038 posts, read 85,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Bingo. Eating meat is not the issue; what people aren't eating enough of is. Vegetarians and vegans as a group consume more fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts/seeds, and legumes: all foods that are known to reduce health risks.
http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...es/PMC4232985/

Eating small to moderate amounts of animal protein should not have negative effects, so long as it isn't causing people to eat fewer health-promoting plant foods.
I have a long-time friend who wouldn't eat vegetables for the longest time. I mean no vegetables. Years ago we went out to an Irish pub that had corned-beef-and-cabbage dinners for St. Patrick's Day, and she told the waitress to leave the cabbage off her plate. Just give her the potatoes and the corned beef. The waitress said, "Well, they are making the plates up in the kitchen and it's busy, so the cabbage just comes on the plate with it." My friend said, "You do not understand. I don't want that on my plate. It might touch the other food!"

This same friend once said, "When recipes say brown the ground beef--what do they mean by drain? Pour off the fat? I don't do that. That's the best part!"

She is better now in her 50s. Eats broccoli and salads, but she is still primarily a meat-eater. She invited me over for a barbecue at her house last year, and the only things I could eat there were salad and bread, which was fine. I like salad and bread. They are Cuban, and she says, "We put meat in everything!" When my friend asked her mother if there was meat in the black beans she made, she said in her Cuban accent, "Oh, no, just a little bacon for flavor." So cute.

The last time I went over there, she had grilled a whole pile of portobello mushrooms, squash, onions, and red peppers for me. It was so sweet. I sat there munching on my vegetables while the rest of them chowed down on London broil and burgers.

There is a lot of cancer in that family, and while eating meat in no way guarantees cancer--my own mother is 88 and has eaten meat her whole life and we just don't tend to get cancer in my family--it would probably be helpful to eat more vegetables to have the anti-oxidant cancer-fighting properties in case it does come knocking.

I think overall more people ARE eating more vegetables.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:13 PM

14,599 posts, read 23,172,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Yawn. Give it a rest. I understand very well what a straw man is and so do you. I do find it humorous how someone can take glee in debating such a bogus, and misrepresented claim.
If you understand it so well, why can't you point out where I've engaged in such?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:22 PM

712 posts, read 1,305,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And that's assuming that people are vegetarian or vegan in order to live longer. They may prefer a plant-based diet for a variety of reasons. I know a few vegetarians who are veg for animal rights reasons, but they themselves don't eat a healthy diet (mac and cheese is vegetarian, but it ain't healthy.)
Basing your conclusion on a few vegetarians that you know isn't a way to come to a conclusion. I've been a vegetarian for 45 years, with the last three as a vegan. My cholesterol is very low, especially since becoming vegan. The last time I had mac and cheese was probably 30 years ago. All my blood work proves that I am in very good shape for a 72 year old man.

You seem to be rationalizing your conclusion about vegetarians is a reason that it's fine for you to be a meat eater. That's what most people do when they just want a reason to keep on doing what they are doing.

I don't eat anything that had a face for moral and ethical reasons. The healthy part is simply a benefit.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:50 PM

882 posts, read 692,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
If you understand it so well, why can't you point out where I've engaged in such?
Not interested in any more of your nonsense (I've wasted enough time on you)

Old 08-14-2017, 06:04 AM

14,599 posts, read 23,172,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
Not interested in any more of your nonsense (I've wasted enough time on you)
I accept your surrender.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:45 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,162,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Everything in moderation.
Exactly! People need to figure out what works for them. At the end of the day, you clean your butt. Also, everyone dies whether by freak accident, violence, health, etc.

I recommend yearly physical exams and every 5 years to pay a visit to a cardiologist. (Every 2 years if you have heart history in your family).

My diet is flexible. I don't drink alcohol, smoke. I eat meat maybe once or twice in a week. If i do i only eat it once in a day. I don't drink cow's milk and avoid cheese and dairy products. (no eggs too). I avoid fried foods and no fake vegetarian meat. My diet is lots of vegetables and small portion of whole grains. I top everything with multi-vitamins. Men's multi=vitamin, Fish oils, Vitamin D and Magnesium.

What is really important is physical exercise. Our bodies were designed to move, explore. I exercise 6-7 days a week in the AM. Mon to Fri = 6 am; Sat - Sun = 7 am. Everyday a different routine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss