Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 7,366 times

Advertisements

1. Replace unhealthy beverages with water

We all know that water is good for us. It contains zero carbs and zero calories. Get used to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. Water helps the body to flush out excess weight and improves your metabolism. You might say that plain water is boring, so you can use mint leaves or lemon wedges to pimp it up. Drinking alot of water tricks your body to make it feel less hungry. Try to drink one big glass of water before every meal.

2. Remove white grain products from your diet

If you eat a lot of white grain products such as white sandwich Breda, white rice and white spaghetti it will often cause bloating around your waistline. Try make a chicken salad instead of the usually chicken sandwich. You basically replace white grain products with vegtables. Every time you would eat chips with dip, try to make carrot and cucumber sticks with dip instead. Vegetables make you feel full for a longer period, while simple carbs from white grain products will still make you hungry, and you could develop a tendency to overeat.

3. Do 30 minutes of cardio every day (or every other day)

Thirty minutes of cardio exercises such as cardio kickboxing, spinning and could make a bit difference in your life. You could end up burning 200 to 300 calories while keeping your arms, legs and core tighter and toned. You could incorporate interval training into your routine, if you want to take it a step further.

4. Drink coffee one hour before workout

Just drink moderates of coffee. It's a good way to help losing weight. It raises your energy level a bit and it could help you burn fat a little easier. (May vary from person to person)

5. Sleep 30 minutes more every night

You will feel more refreshed and energized with an additional 30 minutes to your 5 to 8 hours of sleep. When you are in a good mood it's easier to make healthy food choices, and your will be more likely to go to the gym rather than staying at home. Sleeping 7-8 hours a night keeps your metabolism in good condition.

Last edited by Aerovian; 05-03-2017 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:11 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,245,786 times
6. Consume fewer calories

Old 05-03-2017, 08:39 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,833,165 times
Another list of ideas that may or may not help someone.
Some of these are dumb others are obvious.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM

983 posts, read 1,183,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
6. consume fewer calories
bingo

Old 05-03-2017, 09:19 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,511,011 times
Sigh...this board is mostly spam and not particularly useful. People just need to look elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:48 PM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Learn to ignore hunger pangs (working on that one). So hard to pretend I'm not hungry. Lol, how does one lie to oneself about this exactly?

Put an affirmation message on your refrigerator that says, "Remember that you are a fat, disgusting pig." (I did that once and then forgot to remove it when a friend who is heavier than I am came to stay with me for a few days. She asked if I put it there for her. I felt so bad!) But I need to remind myself of this. I think I have the opposite of anorexia. I look in the mirror and think I look OK, but then I will see a photo of myself that makes me burn with shame and realize what I look like to other people.

Write down what you eat all day. That's hard, because I fail to stay under the calories I am allowed most days, but at least it makes me aware.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:00 PM

711 posts, read 689,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Learn to ignore hunger pangs (working on that one). So hard to pretend I'm not hungry. Lol, how does one lie to oneself about this exactly?

Put an affirmation message on your refrigerator that says, "Remember that you are a fat, disgusting pig." (I did that once and then forgot to remove it when a friend who is heavier than I am came to stay with me for a few days. She asked if I put it there for her. I felt so bad!) But I need to remind myself of this. I think I have the opposite of anorexia. I look in the mirror and think I look OK, but then I will see a photo of myself that makes me burn with shame and realize what I look like to other people.

Write down what you eat all day. That's hard, because I fail to stay under the calories I am allowed most days, but at least it makes me aware.
OK, personal opinion only here - I'm going to throw out some thoughts about each of these...

Learn to ignore hunger pangs - OR - plan your daily intake so that you have filling snacks or meal additions so that you don't HAVE hunger pangs. I'm partial to raw veggies and I like edamame too. The edamame is surprisingly filling and has a lot of protein.

Put an affirmation message on your refrigerator that says, "Remember that you are a fat, disgusting pig." - That one is a sure fire path to self loathing for me. And self loathing leads to "if you're a fat disgusting pig, you don't matter and why bother getting in healthier shape?" I've done much better with "You're a beautiful wonderful woman. And you feel like crap and that's easy enough to fix. Yeah, it's going to take work but you'll feel better. And you'll still be beautiful and wonderful."

Write down what you eat all day. IMO it's easier to plan it the day before (or at least the morning of). Make sure you have everything on hand you've planned for. Leave yourself a little wiggle room and know that you may have to make minor substitutions during the day to get to where you want to be at the end of the day. For me, it's easier to plan in advance than to try to fix/lament what already happened.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:18 PM

88,682 posts, read 84,998,937 times
L
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
OK, personal opinion only here - I'm going to throw out some thoughts about each of these...

Learn to ignore hunger pangs - OR - plan your daily intake so that you have filling snacks or meal additions so that you don't HAVE hunger pangs. I'm partial to raw veggies and I like edamame too. The edamame is surprisingly filling and has a lot of protein.

Put an affirmation message on your refrigerator that says, "Remember that you are a fat, disgusting pig." - That one is a sure fire path to self loathing for me. And self loathing leads to "if you're a fat disgusting pig, you don't matter and why bother getting in healthier shape?" I've done much better with "You're a beautiful wonderful woman. And you feel like crap and that's easy enough to fix. Yeah, it's going to take work but you'll feel better. And you'll still be beautiful and wonderful."

Write down what you eat all day. IMO it's easier to plan it the day before (or at least the morning of). Make sure you have everything on hand you've planned for. Leave yourself a little wiggle room and know that you may have to make minor substitutions during the day to get to where you want to be at the end of the day. For me, it's easier to plan in advance than to try to fix/lament what already happened.
Thanks. The affirmation message was definitely born of self-loathing. I really don't recommend doing that sort of thing...was just me getting disgusted with myself.

I do mostly plan out my food. On a day like today, when I went in to work (I am retired but now work part-time, two days far from home and two days at home) I usually make and take my lunch, which is almost always a salad. There is a bakery at the end of the block where I work that I have to smell all day long, but I don't succumb. Oddly, I sometimes forget to eat when working from home, and of course on the home days there isn't 3-4 hours lost crawling in traffic so I can go to the park and walk or to the gym those days.

But my hardest time is at night at home. It is so difficult for me not to think of food and what else I could have. I don't have any ice cream or anything tempting in the house because I would eat it all, but even if I have fruit I will eat more of that than I should. I don't know how to shut off my mind about food.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-08-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Three of the five are on my list. With the caveat, that sleep is on my list, I simply did not think about the extra thirty minutes, but, getting good sleep is on my list.

This is my list:

Reduce the number of calories by hyper-counting
Simply found out your daily allowance from calculator.com then set that as my target for the day. For me its 1500 calories.
Then I count everything that goes in my mouth in the correct portion sizes (portions are a big one)
in hyper counting, you add calories to compensate for sauces and condiments. This is something not included in most wrappers of restaurants.
add 50 calories to anything below 200 calories
add 100 calories up to 600
add 200 if the item is above 600 (which should not be eaten which is must fast food places.

I did not consider the grains, however, I do not eat many grains anyway. Good plan to avoid them when possible. Fiber is good but most plants and vegetables have this, additionally fish is great in small portions. Chicken in soup is great as well.

As for coffee, I have never heard of that. But, it stands to reason it can definitely help, however, it is a diuretic. Not necessarily the best thought for long workouts. I remember mountain biking in Hawaii and using Propel water. Not the best of ideas. If anything add a touch of coconut water.

I workout on the TotalWave Fitness. This thing is a blast, keep my mind occupied where I can let other things go and concentrate on my workout and not the problems of the day.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,755 times
only one Golden Rule for getting fit and losing the weight in the process. keep track of your calorie intake and plan your workout routine in such a way that you are burning more calories than you consume or the other way around. Consume fewer calories than you burn.

Calculate your BMI and thus your maintenance calories and plan your calorie intake greater than your BMI and less than you maintenance Calories. This approach is bound to give you results

Instead of cardio, weight training yields much better results since Cardio increases endurance and the muscles utilized for endurance would be only about 36% of our body. on the other hand, the remaining 64% can be triggered by exercising them twice a week ( In a compound or an isolation exercise per muscle) will give twice as much result as compared to just doing cardio.

Regards
Sri Harsha
Intern
GetSetGo Fitness

Last edited by chsriharsha; 05-11-2017 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: missed adding Signature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss