Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times

Advertisements

I work from home and have been dieting for the past 4-5 months with great success ( lost 40lbs )

I cook a lot and make simple meals.

Typically I love eating a lot of fresh veggies and salads ( both super easy to prepare and takes limited culinary expertise - hahahaha )

I am also really good at preparing salmon and halibut. Which I have plenty of in my freezer thanks to my fishing skills.

I do not really eat that much red meat. But I can grill a great steak if needed.

eating simple lite meals is the key to being a successful home cook for me. If it took hours of prep and time I would likely not do it as often.

I make great omelettes also. Which is my go to brunch item if I skip having a normal breakfast.

Also having healthy snacks ( almonds nuts and the occasional apple ) makes eating at home successful and nutritious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 03:15 PM

9,852 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I work from home and have been dieting for the past 4-5 months with great success ( lost 40lbs )

I cook a lot and make simple meals.

Typically I love eating a lot of fresh veggies and salads ( both super easy to prepare and takes limited culinary expertise - hahahaha )

I am also really good at preparing salmon and halibut. Which I have plenty of in my freezer thanks to my fishing skills.
Share some of your salmon recipes please! I always have plenty in my freezer too, but that's due to my shopping skills.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:17 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Good for you, Dawn! Yes, cooking at home with wholesome ingredients is usually a lot healthier than eating at most restaurants. And definitely cheaper.

We still eat out 1-2 times a week. We both work at home, so eating out is a way to avoid cabin fever.

We have a real good and well-priced Mexican restaurant we often frequent. There's a steak appetizer that's just the right size for my smaller appetite--and I get it without sour cream, cheese and other glop. So basically, I'm getting a small serving of lean animal protein over a salad...or a bean burrito is good there, too.

Otherwise, when I cook at home, I'm serving mainly vegetarian--or seafood-- as we do eat fish. We're pretty healthy eating this way. No chronic diseases and our weight's pretty good. Low salt, bad fats, and sugar. And no MSG--which keeps me up all night--very sensitive. Many restaurants use a lot of MSG.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:28 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
We quit going because the food is overprice and mediocre at best. Save a bundle.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
I only go to restaurants when I want to get someone quick. The restaurant downstairs where I work has oatmeal and I get that, and some salads I can eat. When I am home, I cook my own food. Love it much better! Less expensive too, and easy peasy ingredients right there in my fridge.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:25 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,505 times
I still occasionally treat myself to Chipotle and Panera. But the other fast food places I avoid like the plague. Why Chipotle and Panera? Because they are the only two out of the top 25 in America to score an 'A' on antibiotics and sourcing.

How Fast Food Restaurants Rank on Antibiotics Usage | Time.com

At Chipotle I can literally get a filling meal for $5. I'll get two of the chicken soft tacos, load them with healthy stuff like beans and veggies and ditch the tortillas in the trash lol. They never charge for extras except guac... so I will load those babies up like it's Thanksgiving with so much pinto, black bean, fajita, tomatillo salsa and corn they need to refoil them! Panera is a bit more expensive, but still comes in at under $10. I personally love the Thai chicken salad and even though I can make a near-exact copy at home... there are those days when you're just tired and don't want to cook, for sure. And the calorie counts are reasonable for most items as long as you stay away from the pastas, steak items and cream-heavy soups.

But McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, even Outback or Applebee's... I haven't been to any of them in years, knowing the shortcuts they take to make an extra buck. Plus, the service at the sit-down restaurants is usually awful, young incompetent kids who think I owe them 20% while they sit on their cell phone smoking outside... no. Starbucks, I'll still go for the coffee and to socialize but I'll never eat the food items knowing how they were produced.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 06-15-2017 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 01:03 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Way too often.

I make sporadic half-hearted efforts at not eating out that last a few weeks. I really don't like experimenting with cooking new things so there's pretty much the same basic things I make over and over. I don't have to think when I shop or when I'm cooking so it's sort of a relaxing meditation type activity. If I cook something new I have to do all this planning what ingredients I need and then think about it when I'm making it. Yuck. I'd need to at least add a couple things into my rotation as when I'm not eating out I get really bored with what I make at home. But then I have to plan and think when I'm cooking and that's even worse than being bored with the same food over and over. But then I'm bored or lazy and end up going out and eating lunch rather than brown bagging.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I still occasionally treat myself to Chipotle and Panera. But the other fast food places I avoid like the plague. Why Chipotle and Panera? Because they are the only two out of the top 25 in America to score an 'A' on antibiotics and sourcing.

How Fast Food Restaurants Rank on Antibiotics Usage | Time.com

At Chipotle I can literally get a filling meal for $5. I'll get two of the chicken soft tacos, load them with healthy stuff like beans and veggies and ditch the tortillas in the trash lol. They never charge for extras except guac... so I will load those babies up like it's Thanksgiving with so much pinto, black bean, fajita, tomatillo salsa and corn they need to refoil them! Panera is a bit more expensive, but still comes in at under $10. I personally love the Thai chicken salad and even though I can make a near-exact copy at home... there are those days when you're just tired and don't want to cook, for sure. And the calorie counts are reasonable for most items as long as you stay away from the pastas, steak items and cream-heavy soups.

But McDonald's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell, even Outback or Applebee's... I haven't been to any of them in years, knowing the shortcuts they take to make an extra buck. Plus, the service at the sit-down restaurants is usually awful, young incompetent kids who think I owe them 20% while they sit on their cell phone smoking outside... no. Starbucks, I'll still go for the coffee and to socialize but I'll never eat the food items knowing how they were produced.
Other than the salt, Chipotle is pretty good. I usually won't eat there because of the sodium. My typical burrito bowl clocks in at an eyepopping 2,500 mg of sodium. I mean, you can leave off the guac and cheese and salsa and it's down to just 1,100 but then it's pretty boring.

Applebee's I wouldn't go to for years. I went maybe a year ago and it pretty much was as I remembered. I just got a chicken salad which was pretty much just take a bag of salad mix, throw some almond slices on it, and toss a precooked frozen Tyson chicken breast on a grill for a few minutes and slice it up. I really don't get the point. Even I can make that at home in 10 minutes, and 7 of it is just waiting for the chicken to warm up if I didn't use the microwave.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My husband and I are now in our 60s, and we don't eat out nearly as much as we used to. Too expensive, too many calories, etc. Maybe once per week. It is much easier just to cook at home, and then you know exactly what is in your meal. That said we do live in a kind of a "foodie" area, with every kind of option imaginable. There are people here that eat out almost daily, sometimes several meals. I don't know how they do it, all the calories and $$$. it is a fight to keep the figure, you know? lol

Plus, if I make a meal at home, I often have enough for a second meal or turn leftovers into a soup, etc. I do think however as we age I will want to eat out a bit more than we currently do, but try to split plates or order small plates, etc.

Good for you, OP, for doing your own cooking! It is definitely so much more economical in every way.
I probably eat out 5-6 times a week. Larger restaurant meal is basically two meals and since I eat out one meal a day on most days I've adapted to that eating pattern and only eat twice a day. Saves a ton of time. Typically I'll make breakfast at home and then have a late lunch if I'm eating out which holds me over fine until breakfast.

The cost is more of an issue. Runs about $15-20/day eating out. You can do it cheaper for sure but that's about what it averages for me. The cost is the primary thing I worry about. Typical restaurant meals are 1,000 - 1,500 calories. I aim at the higher calorie range if it's going to last me from late lunch until breakfast the next day. If not, a lot of restaurants now are carrying lighter calorie menus so you can actually get a reasonable portion of food in the 500-800 calorie range. Usually they're better choices as well. Problem is I'd need to order two of them if i wanted to skip dinner that night.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
I am really liking Lemonade! It is an LA chain that is sort of a California style deli. It is really easy to make healthy choices there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss