Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:47 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times

Advertisements

John Robbins of Baskin-Robbins Family Busts Dairy Industry Myths and More | Miami New Times

I may have heard this years ago about John Robbins and Baskin Robbins fame...

A friend has been listening to an online summit by Robbins on the need for MORE protein as we age.

Like upwards of 70grams daily.

Here is John's official website.

http://johnrobbins.info/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times
A quick skim... he advocates a plant based diet. The guy has no medical background why would I listen to him? He has written a bunch of books on vegetarianism.

Which is weird Jam, because you are of the high protein/low carb camp.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2017, 01:21 PM

1,098 posts, read 904,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A quick skim... he advocates a plant based diet. The guy has no medical background why would I listen to him? He has written a bunch of books on vegetarianism.

People with medical backgrounds have been spewing false information for decades. It could even be argued that the medical industry is partially responsible for the heroin and obesity epidemics. Why should we only listen to people with medical backgrounds?

Last edited by Jame22; 06-17-2017 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake *heroin

Old 06-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

It's not weird Mikala, just because I put some info out there about John Robbins...and you don't have to listen to him, no one does.

I eat a pretty high protein and low carb this is true, but as I said just an FYI....do what everyone wants to do, listen to anyone or don't listen to anyone.

Animal protein isn't the only protein we eat.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
People with medical backgrounds have been spewing false information for decades. It could even be argued that the medical industry is partially responsible for the heroine and obesity epidemics. Why should we only listen to people with medical backgrounds?
Amen!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,827,154 times
There are a million so called experts on what people should eat. There a million people that will buy their books and tout the latest trend.
Find a way of eating that works for you - low carb, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, omnivore, whatever. Doesn't matter. The only way of eating that matters is the way you can live with. Thats it.
I scratch my head every time someone says, 'I always lose weight when I ________'. So you are fat again, so that way didn't work in the long run. Consistency and moderation. A life change, not a trend of the moment change.
And most importantly - your way is not going to work for everyone else - so don't act like it will.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:10 PM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are a million so called experts on what people should eat. There a million people that will buy their books and tout the latest trend.
Find a way of eating that works for you - low carb, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, omnivore, whatever. Doesn't matter. The only way of eating that matters is the way you can live with. Thats it.
I scratch my head every time someone says, 'I always lose weight when I ________'. So you are fat again, so that way didn't work in the long run. Consistency and moderation. A life change, not a trend of the moment change.
And most importantly - your way is not going to work for everyone else - so don't act like it will.
This is my view as well. There are many healthy ways we can eat - we are omnivores so there is more than one type of healthy "diet" we can live off of. Find what works and stick to it. For myself, I have found that not restricting any natural food works for me. That means small portions of grains, meats, fats, veggies, fruits and even a bit of sweets in the form of chocolate covered nuts. I lost weight and maintain it eating this way, and feel very healthy. I would never preach any specifictype of diet to anyone else, and I don't expect to be "preached to."

Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,561,238 times
One of the best things I ever read John Robbins say was ABOUT going vegetarian. He didn't try to force anyone to do so. But he did say something about a good litmus test for someone to determine whether or not they should try vegetarianism. He said if you had to kill, skin, clean and then cook your meat every time you wanted to eat meat, would you?

I immediately knew I would not -- I'd have to be on the brink of death before I would do that. On the other hand, my son immediately said yes, he would.

I think that really is a great way to look at it. I have not yet attained total vegetarianism, but I eat very little meat and always, ALWAYS try to think about what it took to get to my plate. My goal is still to become totally vegetarian...

Old 07-22-2017, 05:23 PM

I looked at vegetarianism in my long life and it's not what I want. I eat less meat than ever before but I still enjoy a small amount daily. Dairy hardly any.

For a while I watched a program on a family in Alaska backwoods and they killed everything they ate. It was their survival. That's how it's always been from day 1.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
One of the best things I ever read John Robbins say was ABOUT going vegetarian. He didn't try to force anyone to do so. But he did say something about a good litmus test for someone to determine whether or not they should try vegetarianism. He said if you had to kill, skin, clean and then cook your meat every time you wanted to eat meat, would you?

I immediately knew I would not -- I'd have to be on the brink of death before I would do that. On the other hand, my son immediately said yes, he would.

I think that really is a great way to look at it. I have not yet attained total vegetarianism, but I eat very little meat and always, ALWAYS try to think about what it took to get to my plate. My goal is still to become totally vegetarian...
I'm not sure I agree with that litmus test. I mean, if I had to design, build and maintain my own car, I'd never have owned a car. The same is probably true for my house.

Actually, if I had to plant, farm and harvest my own food I might also go hungry.

My only related rule is to never eat meat from an animal I would consider having as a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss