Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,563,783 times

Advertisements

Everyone has to do what works for them. However, when the suggestion is made for someone to try low carb, people act like someone suggested not breathing air.

I love bread, potatoes, sweets, etc just like most people. However, it's made sense for me to give them up while I'm trying to lose weight. It's not been that big a deal. I'll reintroduce them back into my diet at the appropriate time. For other people, it's like asking the unimaginable.

Why do people find it so hard to temporarily give up carbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 05:19 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
Why deny yourself carbs just to lose weight? If you eat appropriately and account for them in your daily consumption you can lose weight and eat carbs.
It is pointless to give up something just to put it back into your daily consumption without altering servings or accountability and gain all the weight lost and more.
Gaining weight is not caused by one group of food, losing weight is not caused by one group of food.
Find a good healthy plan, account for every serving of all foods, move more, make a lifelong lifestyle change, lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your lifetime.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why deny yourself carbs just to lose weight? If you eat appropriately and account for them in your daily consumption you can lose weight and eat carbs.
It is pointless to give up something just to put it back into your daily consumption without altering servings or accountability and gain all the weight lost and more.
Gaining weight is not caused by one group of food, losing weight is not caused by one group of food.
Find a good healthy plan, account for every serving of all foods, move more, make a lifelong lifestyle change, lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your lifetime.
Different strokes. The truth is that some people would benefit from manipulating their chemistry even if temporarily. Adding back carbs (at reduced levels) does not mean someone will automatically gain back weight.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Everyone has to do what works for them. However, when the suggestion is made for someone to try low carb, people act like someone suggested not breathing air.

I love bread, potatoes, sweets, etc just like most people. However, it's made sense for me to give them up while I'm trying to lose weight. It's not been that big a deal. I'll reintroduce them back into my diet at the appropriate time. For other people, it's like asking the unimaginable.

Losing weight is an individual journey and the key is to find the right road to take. Some people do really well limiting carbs, so well they are convinced it is the only road to take. But that is not the truth. The most important thing a person can do is find a way of eating that they can lose weight on and stick to in the long run. if that is limiting carbs then go for it. If its not then find another way to limit calories. There are a few posters here including myself who have done quite well taking an omnivore approach and not limiting carb intake. She people do a keto plan, some a paleo, some just try and focus on calories while eating whole, fresh foods- lots of veggies, lean proteins, grains and good fats.
None of these ways are bad, and none are better than the other. Its an individual choice.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 PM

21,969 posts, read 25,331,519 times
Quote:

Because it's stupid and pointless.

I limit certain, mostly empty, carbs when trying to lose weight. The point isn't to limit carbs. It's to get adequate nutrition in on a limited number of calories, so less nutritionally dense food like bread or rice is an easy thing to cut. That way I can still have a reasonable portions of sweets or the odd beer here and there which I enjoy more and still lose weight. I don't limit vegetables, let alone eliminate or severely restrict them as the more severe low car diets do. If you want to, go right ahead. It really doesn't matter. All that matters is calories. You can lose weight eating Ho-Hos and Twinkies or you can lose weight by being afraid of eating an extra serving of vegetables lest you go an extra 20 grams over your carb allotment. I'll do neither.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:09 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
Quote:
Different strokes. The truth is that some people would benefit from manipulating their chemistry even if temporarily. Adding back carbs (at reduced levels) does not mean someone will automatically gain back weight.
Okay, whatever you believe and honestly my experience losing 500 pounds without surgery or drugs,
only implementing a complete lifestyle change taught me nothing.......

Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, whatever you believe and honestly my experience losing 500 pounds without surgery or drugs,
only implementing a complete lifestyle change taught me nothing.......
I've lost over 139 pounds with no surgery and I'm studying to be a personal trainer. Lifestyle changes happen in many different ways.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:04 AM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Weight loss is an individual thing. You do what works for you. Simply put, I don't want to give up carbs. It's not sustainable or desirable to me. I like eating a grain based diet and if I've lost a bunch of weight while eating the way that I like to eat, then why would I change? I don't need to remove entire food groups in order to achieve results. I can eat rice, potatoes, pasta, beans...hell even the evil simple carbs... and still reach my goal. I practice eating in moderation, that's it.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:08 AM

50,545 posts, read 47,353,093 times
Not big into carbs but I'd rather up my work out routine than diet.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:14 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,705,079 times
As a diabetic, I have to be very conscious of carbs. What I've been told is your body tends to burn what you eat if your blood sugar is in the ~80-~120 range. That's easy to do until carbs are introduced.

My nutritionist, even with the knowledge of my diabetes told me I should have a minimum of 45 carbs per meal. If I subscribed to that, my blood sugar would be well over 150 and my A1C would be over 7.0.

Typically, I'll restrict myself to around 20 carbs per meal. It's worked well for me, to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss