Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times

Advertisements

I am type 2 diabetic. I've posted here a few times before and have always gotten good feedback. I have another question:

How many GRAMS of carbs are safe for a diabetic to consume daily? I don't mean "exchanges" or anything like that. I mean actual GRAMS of carbs per day?

I am a complete carb addict but went to the doc today and my numbers are crazy. Everything has gone up. I don't have medical coverage so I can't see an endochrinologist (can't afford it) nor can I see a dietician.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
The diabetic educator I saw told me 90 grams/day. I was at 225 lb then. She told me not to worry about sugars as they are included in the total carb count.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:30 PM

90 sounds doable. How do you figure the grams of carbs in fresh veggies?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Google it.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM

295 posts, read 832,801 times
I believe that the right number of carbs depends on what each individual diabetic can handle personally because each of us is different. Test your blood glucose at one and two hours post meal. At one hour your bg should ideally be 140 or below and at two hours, ideally 120 or below. I personally can eat about 30 to 50 carbs per day. Other Type 2's can eat more or even a little less. When I started lowering my bg I couldn't eat more than 30 carbs per day but now 4 years later I found I can handle a little more.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:53 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
When I'm not tempted by anything... I do about 30-40 a day. You can eat fairly well for that. There are several books that break it down and explain how it works in your body. "Living Low Carb" "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" are good ones.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I was told 30 for each meal and the bedtime snack, and then 15 for the mid day snack. So that's 135 -- but what was stressed for me was they had to be spread out. So you couldn't save them and eat them all at once. That was wrong.

There's plenty of online carb counters, and carb counter books to carry with you -- and remember -- pretty much every thing has carbs. That's the other thing -- all carbs count -- even veggie carbs.

By the way -- I'm going back to writing every single thing down. It's the only way I can seem to work it. And by writing it and my BG down -- I can also see what the heck is spiking me. It's changed as I lost weight. I was pleased to find out that potatoes didn't spike my BG, but rice did. I was unhappy to find out carrots did, too.... I miss carrots.

I also bought new cereal bowls that are the proper size. Ended up with Fiestaware stacking cereal bowls at 11 ounces... the cereal bowls with my newer dishes? are 25 ounces.... it's just INSANE.... I'm not a huge fan of Fiestaware, but it will do. I don't want to have to think about measuring cereal in the morning -- I just want to eat....

Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM

I'm just so sick of this "carb counting" nonsense. EVERYTHING has carbs in it!!

When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, the doctor was a real moron. He didn't even refer me to an endochrinologist. He just told me "no carbs and no sugar" and expected me to come back to see him monthly. He had me so freaking confused, put me on all different meds and totally screwed me up. I just gave up on it because his "professional instructions" were impossible to follow (no carbs? no sugar? what are you supposed to eat?!?!)

I'm still confused by it all and have about lost hope on getting it under control. I'm way overweight.... I have no clue where to start... I hate fish; I'm not a huge meat-eater. Soooo... and I supposed to survive on cucumbers and romaine lettuce with an occassional fat-free hot dog or an egg???????

Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The diabetic educator I saw told me 90 grams/day. I was at 225 lb then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
90 sounds doable. How do you figure the grams of carbs in fresh veggies?
It's different for everyone.

What is your A1c number?

I think 90 is way too high.

See if you can keep it at 45 a day. It's strange, but half-and-half in your coffee has less carbs than 2% reduced fat milk.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm just so sick of this "carb counting" nonsense. EVERYTHING has carbs in it!!

When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, the doctor was a real moron. He didn't even refer me to an endochrinologist. He just told me "no carbs and no sugar" and expected me to come back to see him monthly. He had me so freaking confused, put me on all different meds and totally screwed me up. I just gave up on it because his "professional instructions" were impossible to follow (no carbs? no sugar? what are you supposed to eat?!?!)

I'm still confused by it all and have about lost hope on getting it under control. I'm way overweight.... I have no clue where to start... I hate fish; I'm not a huge meat-eater. Soooo... and I supposed to survive on cucumbers and romaine lettuce with an occassional fat-free hot dog or an egg???????
I know what you mean -- I no longer call them carbs -- I call them crabs because they make me crabby.

For a month or so, write down every thing you eat and count the carbs.
Carbohydrate Counting - American Diabetes Association

And frankly -- I just type carb count and item and google tells me.

In the same book as your food diary, write down your blood glucose meter readings. Learn what foods affect you, and not. Go whole grain on breads and pastas -- and if you buy bread, keep in mind those wide bread loaves like Sara Lee, or BrownBerry Ovens (actually I think they are all wide loaves anymore) are one slice servings -- each slice is 20+ carbs.

Each meal AND SNACK has to be COMPLETE. You need protein and carbs and veggies or fruit. The days of grabbing an apple and being done with a snack is OVER. A snack is now a little cheese or a piece of ham, a couple of whole grain crackers and a veggie or fruit.

For me:

Breakfast is cereal -- or oatmeal. I prefer old fashioned oats, I cook 1/2 cup in the microwave. I add frozen blueberries after it's done and WAY too hot, a little brown sugar and toss in some walnuts, top with milk. Around 35 carbs.

Lunch is a sandwich -- I make my own bread (whole wheat with additional seeds and grains), it's a smaller home style loaf and I can use two pieces of bread. I make egg salad, or a peanut butter and jelly, or ham. With egg salad or ham -- there's lots of veggies on the sandwich. About 35 carbs.

My snack is a three triscuits, a stemlet of grapes, and a celery rib stuffed with my home made lower fat pimento cheese (8 ounces low fat cream cheese, 8 ounces low fat sharp cheddar grated with the large hole grater, a 4 ounces jar of minced pimentos drained, and light mayo. Toss the cream cheese into the mixer and beat, add the pimentos and beat, add the cheese to mix and add mayo till it's loose enough to spread easily. Store in the fridge) Should be about 15-20 carbs.

Dinner is pretty easy -- we've started eating fish, but before I was the chicken queen. Chicken or fish and veggies and salad, and dessert -- could be a little ice cream, could be a cookie or two, but life is not worth it without dessert. I try to keep it under 30 carbs.

And if at night I'm starving -- well, that means I won't sleep -- then I'll eat a cup of yogurt before bed. Around 20 carbs.

This is a lifestyle change, and lifestyle changes ARE HARD.

You also have to add in exercise. Exercise helps regulate the glucose. And exercise means getting your blood pumping and working up a sweat. Given that I work a physical job (I'm a janitor) I was a little miffed to find out the fact I push a 16 pound vacuum cleaner back and forth for a 1/4 of a mile a day DOESN'T COUNT AS EXERCISE. But I've been doing that for a very long time and I'm used to it.... and it doesn't affect me as exercise anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes