Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:20 PM

371 posts, read 366,922 times

Advertisements

I was recently dx with fatty liver and elevated liver enzymes. My liver doctor gave me 6 months to try and lose 50 pounds. I started fitness pal a month ago 1200 calories a day. I have yet to weigh myself because I dont want to be caught up in numbers. Is it doable in 6 months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,506,598 times
Yes, that's approximately 2 lb per week which is definitely doable.

Did he recommend a diet? Stuff I've read says that non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is helped by cutting way back on sugar and starchy foods. Just curious if your doctor agrees.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:02 PM

You know it's odd, I asked what I should eat and they said they are not diet doctors. She did mention to cut back on carbs and sugar. That was about it. She just simply said stick to 1200 cal a day. My metabolism is not what it used to be. I hit menopause and my metabolism is in reverse. It's very frustrating.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,506,598 times
That is odd. Strange response.

I think where I heard this was on Dr G Medical Examiner. She had a person who had died from this and she said the liver is the only organ that can process glucose (which is what sugar and starch turns into as it is digested). She said when it gets overwhelmed by too much glucose all it can do is store it within itself as fat until the glucose load is lightened and it can process that stored fat.

WebMD says to cut back on sugar and starch if you have this disease too, but it doesn't explain why.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Yes, doable. But you will have to get caught up in the numbers and get on the scale. You have a hard metric you're trying to reach. Get rid of the silly emotions around the number and just get it done.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, doable. But you will have to get caught up in the numbers and get on the scale. You have a hard metric you're trying to reach. Get rid of the silly emotions around the number and just get it done.
I used to follow numbers and I ended up obsessed with it.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:55 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,674,237 times
Tabbychic,

Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is definitely caused by excess sugar intake and an overall poor diet consisting of processed foods.

Depending on your starting weight, it is doable to lose 50 lbs, especially if you are obese. The closer you are to your idea weight, the harder it is.

1200 calories is austere and hard to maintain for more than a few weeks if you are actually adhering to 1200 calories. I think you're going to have a hard time, but many women can do it, especially if they are smaller to begin with.

I would probably enter into this more realistically and set it to something like 1500 calories and be very meticulous about measuring out your food (versus eyeballing and guestimating). Add in some gentle exercise.

Along with the calorie change, try to improve the quality of your foods.

I also think that you do need to weigh yourself occasionally. It's one of the better forms of how well you are progressing, but be realistic about HOW the body dumps weight. Don't get discouraged if 2 weeks go by and nothing happens. Fortunately there is a TON of support on MFP's community board and you should use it.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
If it worked, become obsessed again.

I won't lie, 1,200 calories a day requires both an adjustment and a serious commitment. I pretty much adhered to that number for four straight months and wound up losing way more than I anticipated. However it requires relearning how to select foods, how much to eat and when to eat them. Once I had it mapped out it became simple enough to do. For the record, I lost 55 pounds in four months.

The obvious path to success will require you to abandon complex carbs and sugars anyway, so it's a win-win. There's no way to keep to 1,200 calories while eating bread and foods high in sugar.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Six months from now do you want to find out that you only lost 12 pounds because you weren't checking? Find some balance.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:46 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,829,980 times
Quote:
I was recently dx with fatty liver and elevated liver enzymes. My liver doctor gave me 6 months to try and lose 50 pounds. I started fitness pal a month ago 1200 calories a day. I have yet to weigh myself because I dont want to be caught up in numbers. Is it doable in 6 months?
Get on the scale and come to terms with the number. Then only weigh yourself once a week. You get a much better read on actual weight loss than weighing yourself more than that.

Learn to love veggies and salads. They give you bulk and fiber and nutrients. Eat lean proteins, good fats, such as avocados, nuts and olive oil, just do so to keep within your calorie range. Beans are great too because of fiber and the ability to keep you feeling full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss