Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times

Advertisements

No, I am not "humbly bragging"! I just had my first check-up in five years, and I was shocked at my weight -- too embarrassed to even post it here, but I have gone up from a 21 BMI seven years ago to where I am now at a 27. The reason why I did not notice the weight gain -- I don't even own a scale now -- is that my clothes still fit the same as they did 20-25 pounds ago!

I am female, 5'4", and 64 years old, and in my adult years, my weight has ranged from 103 to 162 eight years ago, at which point I dieted to 115 over a period of nine moths (My best weight is about 123. In the past I have had no problem losing excess weight -- I start dieting when my size 8's are MUCH too tight -- but, again, that is not the case here (and in fact, all my jeans are size 6).

My blood pressure is 116/78, I have no health problems, and take NO medication. The only thing that has changed is that 18 months ago I got a part-time job that requires a LOT of walking and a LOT of heavy lifting. (I know that I am very fortunate that I can still do that kind of job at my age!)

I talked to my doctor, and she said not to worry about "the number", that muscle weights more than fat and that I AM very fit and healthy, but I can't help obsessing over this; however, paradoxically, I have no actual motivation to lose weight because, as I said, I do feel good, plus I know that I even if I do lose weight, it won't make me any more attractive -- at my age, that's a laugh -- and I don't even know if I would feel any better physically, although I know I probably would mentally.

Do any of you have any advice about how I can just accept the fact that I am now somewhat of a "heavy weight" and just let it go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:12 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Current sizing in clothes are not a good way to determine anyone's size. They have changed a lot over the years.
BMI's dont mean a heck of a lot either. How much do you weigh? You don't say and as I said, clothing size means nothing.
If your doctor says your healthy and your fitting into your clothes what is the problem? If you are overweight go on a diet and lose some pounds. If not see a shrink and try and learn to accept yourself as you are.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
1. Don't lie to yourself. Feel your honest feelings. The number bugs you. Why? What value are you placing on the number? Do you agree with this value judgment?
2. Think about this. Whatever discomfort you feel about the number is being created by you in your head. The discomfort will end when you decide to end it. You have that power.
3. True freedom means that you can tell the number and be at peace within yourself and you don't give a crap about what you think other people may think about you.
4. Learn to love yourself. You've made a decision to not lose weight at this time. Embrace the you that made that decision.

FYI, my highest weight was 300 lbs. I currently weight 160. My lifetime goal weight is 150. My body fat percentage should end up being around 20%. I'm 5'3". I can give out my numbers to anyone because they are just a metric. They are not a judgment. I'm happy with my body.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
OP, I"m not sure what advice, if any, you are looking for.

I'm 5'7" and 53 years old. My highest weight is close to 160. I am about 147 right now. All my jeans still fit. They don't fit the same, but I am still wearing the same pants.

I'm going to say that I doubt your active job caused you to build so much muscle that you gained weight. If you are happy with how you feel then don't worry about.

My 10-ish pound weight loss resulted in an almost 40 point decrease in my cholesterol. My cholesterol certainly wasn't bad to begin with (around 210 but my good cholesterol is off the charts good). I'm now down to 168. I don't feel any different. So, eating right and maintaining a proper weight are important, especially as you age. Maybe you are at a proper weight now. I don't know.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

Do any of you have any advice about how I can just accept the fact that I am now somewhat of a "heavy weight" and just let it go?
I would be concerned about weight gain going forward, actually. Weight creeps up on you without being noticed, and there is no reason that it won't continue to creep up on you from this point forward if you don't change something in your diet now to stop that from happening. Find the number of daily calories that maintain your current weight. Myfitness pal is very helpful with that.

Other than that, if your doctor isn't concerned about your current weight, and your clothing still fits, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If you aren't happy with your current weight, and you seem not to be, make a few changes in your diet to take a few pounds off gradually, such as replacing your normal highest calorie food with a lower calorie food choice.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
If your existing clothes still fit you then it's from working out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Thanks to all who have answered! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss