Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 10:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times

Advertisements

What has helped me immensely in the satiety dept. is good ol' rice and kidney beans. I cook the beans with mild jalapenos. 1 cup of rice with 1/8-1/4 c of beans. Pair this with the meat of your choice and it makes for a filling meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What has helped me immensely in the satiety dept. is good ol' rice and kidney beans. I cook the beans with mild jalapenos. 1 cup of rice with 1/8-1/4 c of beans. Pair this with the meat of your choice and it makes for a filling meal.
This is my go-to as well. I used to bartend at a Mexican restaurant and I would order a side of black beans, a side of rice and some salsa fresca and just mix it all together. The beans a rice together made a protein and kept me full for hours. Plus is was delicious!

Old 09-10-2017, 02:37 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Low Carb Protein Cake:
3/4 scoop vanilla or chocolate soy protein powder (must use soy for texture, whey alone is rubbery)
1/2 scoop vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (not soda - baking soda makes it bitter)
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
liquid eggwhites in a carton stirred in to make a thick doughy consistency, the thicker consistency, the fluffier the cake
1/4 tsp or dash Salt
4 packets Stevia
Stir
Plop on a pizza pan sprayed with Pam spray - bake at 375 for 11-15 minutes until done - Let cool - it will look like a giant cookie (can make as a microwave mug cake (1 min or more on med) but is better baked.

Frosting - mix up with a spoon in coffee cup or small dish:
1 1/2 teaspoons greek yogurt whipped cream cheese (or regular whipped cream cheese-- both are low in cals)
1 tablespoon sugar free cool whip
1 teaspoon or more sugar free instant cheesecake pudding mix (this MAKES the recipe!)
Mix with Swerve (powdered stevia) Confectioners sugar until frosting consistency and taste
I add just a few grains of salt to bring out the flavor

Frost the giant cookie and enjoy!

Old 09-10-2017, 02:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
Making Low Calorie Foods into More "Comfort" food textures.

I like mixing baked chicken (chopped up) with coleslaw and low fat cottage cheese, chopped ground turkey with veggies and cottage cheese.
The cottage cheese makes a great filler to make you less hungry, also kind of sour creamish tasting and the mixture has that "comfort" food texture like pasta dishes. I don't have blood pressure issues so I salt my foods.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:26 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Half of a Little Caesars hot 'n ready pepperoni pizza.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I had such a gadget. I hated said gadget. I gifted the gadget.

I love wide "noodles." Can you -- pretty please -- tell me what kind of vegetable peeler you have/use? Thanks so much!
You cant go wrong with one similar to this one =Good Grip Vegetable Peeler | Hudson's Bay

Or for all things kitchen related a trip to Ares on the west island is a real treat=
https://www.arescuisine.com/us/

Old 09-17-2017, 08:40 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,844 times
My go to healthy diet meals are salads

Learn to like raw baby spinach ( iceberg lettuce and romaine lettuce are nice as partial adds - but they add near zero nutritional content )

Add in whatever other raw veggies you like ( you just cannot go wrong with healthy - fresh whole food veggies on a salad )
I myself love raw broccoli cauliflower green peppers mushrooms onions ( shoots or red onion sliced thin ) add nuts to taste ( almonds whole unsalted are very healthy ) tomatoes carrots that are shredded yes even celery diced up

Add in whatever healthy meat option you choose. I always have leftover King Salmon avail as I eat halibut salmon or rockfish many times a week for dinner. Add sliced steak - add albacore tuna from a can - add roast beef from the deli - add cooked cold cocktail type shrimp - don't forget hard boiled egg also ... so many options. I myself avoid bacon bits and croutons as those are adds that really turn a salad into something its not ( low carb low fat and healthy )

learn to like low cal and very small amounts of dressing on your salads as that is key to keeping them healthy.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Add raw cabbage to just about anything. Works for me.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Brown some chicken in a skillet, pour a jar of salsa over and bring to a simmer. Add a package of broccoli slaw on top and cover until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender. Fish the chicken out, stir the salsa in with the slaw, and serve alone or with brown rice.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:59 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
My two mainstays are soup and chicken breasts.

I like soup because I can make a big pot and store it in serving size bowls in the freezer so it's always handy. I make a lot of hamburger soup using a bag of cole slaw or mixed frozen vegetables. Sometimes I make bean soup with some veggies like carrots, green beans, etc.

I like chicken breasts just seasoned and pan sauteed. I had a hard time getting them cooked properly, but once I finally invested in a meat thermometer I enjoy them very much. So now I cook to 161 - 163 at the thickest part and they are always delicious. With the chicken breasts I eat some steamables vegetables with just a drizzle of olive or avocado oil and salt. Very simple, filling meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss