Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 05:36 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What you say is true but it's well to keep in mind that dietary interventions are often prescribed with less evidence than this and they often carry more consequences. Also drugs like Lipitor have been way overprescribed for years despite the fact that not all the studies were in on what role cholesterol actually plays. I know many people who had major side effects from that. Whenever I want to approach the truth I follow the money and there is no money to be made with fasting unless you happen to write a book and I suspect that most authors make around .25/hour on writing them.
I am not disagreeing that fasting can help with health. I just see so many people post absolutes when in reality there is no absolute. Unproven theories are rampant here. It just lends to confusion and a lot of times failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,977,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Here's another issue.

Has anyone heard of OrangeTheory? If you google it, you'll see it's one of the newest, upcoming workout fads. I don't know if I should continue staying a member or just join a gym on my own. I bought the unlimited package for $160/month. I've had some mega medical issues over this past year, so I haven't really gone to OT (hence why I tried the diet program). Now, I'm wanting to know if I'm being foolish with going to this fitness class. I will say I HATE going to the gym on my own. I love barre fitness but OT looks like it produces better results.
I haven't tried it yet. Lots of my colleagues go. It is pretty hardcore. I read a blog post aboit a woman who did it often. She ended up needing to take a break because she got injured. The classes do not allow a lot of time or individual attention to make sure you have proper form and aren't over exerting yourself.

It seems like if you are an exerperienced exerciser you would be able to modify as needed based on your fitness level. Not great for someone new to fitness and without enough stamina. I do think it probably works. but mostly because it is very intense.

I do not think you shoild join without trying it. I am pretty sure your first class is free or cheap. Do that first.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM

9,928 posts, read 7,826,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I am not disagreeing that fasting can help with health. I just see so many people post absolutes when in reality there is no absolute. Unproven theories are rampant here. It just lends to confusion and a lot of times failure.
Well, people post what has worked for them, I don't know necessarily if they intend to say what they are doing will work for everyone else. If people are having success with something, they are very enthusiastic and get a little preachy. LOL

Even the calories in, calories out theory, which some people insist on, just isn't true for everyone.

Plus, this is a lifetime battle for some of us. I did things differently at 30 after I had my babies, than I did at 40, 50 and now 59. What works at one age may not still work when you're older.

So, I take everything here with a grain of salt (and I need more salt, unlike most here). No need to argue, we all have our different ways of doing things.

That all said, I just did a 3 day fast to see if I could. I feel great, may continue another day or two.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:02 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,044,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, people post what has worked for them, I don't know necessarily if they intend to say what they are doing will work for everyone else. If people are having success with something, they are very enthusiastic and get a little preachy. LOL

Even the calories in, calories out theory, which some people insist on, just isn't true for everyone.

Plus, this is a lifetime battle for some of us. I did things differently at 30 after I had my babies, than I did at 40, 50 and now 59. What works at one age may not still work when you're older.

So, I take everything here with a grain of salt (and I need more salt, unlike most here). No need to argue, we all have our different ways of doing things.

That all said, I just did a 3 day fast to see if I could. I feel great, may continue another day or two.
Agree, I am playing around with the Intermittent Fasting - Doing 20 hrs fast & 4 hours eating window right now.
Enjoying it so far. I am less hungry all day fasting than I am trying to reduce calories.
Isn't that odd.

Trying to keep my evening eating healthy also.
For me lunch was the hardest meal to make healthy so it it an excellent meal for me to skip.

I skimmed Dr Fung's book The Complete Guide to Fasting at the bookstore the other day, lots of science to back up this way of eating.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,849,404 times
I never said intermittent fasting was not a good choice for trying to be healthy or lose weight. I objected to unsubstantiated claims that fasting seems to be a cure all for other serious health issues.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,962,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Here's another issue.

Has anyone heard of OrangeTheory? If you google it, you'll see it's one of the newest, upcoming workout fads. I don't know if I should continue staying a member or just join a gym on my own. I bought the unlimited package for $160/month. I've had some mega medical issues over this past year, so I haven't really gone to OT (hence why I tried the diet program). Now, I'm wanting to know if I'm being foolish with going to this fitness class. I will say I HATE going to the gym on my own. I love barre fitness but OT looks like it produces better results.
Orange Theory requires a pretty high base level of fitness. It isn't for beginners.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:33 PM

40,994 posts, read 49,371,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just read the Obesity Code and started on it right away. It couldn't be easier, but for those not inclined to read it, I'll summarize a bit.

*The fewer times you eat, the fewer times your insulin level will go up. Insulin is what packs on the fat and when you're fat you have insulin resistance, which means that you pack on even more fat.
*Lose all the between meal snacks, even the healthy ones. Apparently the idea that snacks are healthy was a conspiracy spawned by the food companies to get you to eat even more so they could make more money. You don't need snacks and snacking wasn't popular until the 70's and that's when our weight began to rise.
*Not only is fasting not bad for you, it's actually quite good for you. I can attest to this from my own experience and it's a tradition in many religions and cultures.
*Go ahead and skip breakfast. Most breakfast food is crapola anyway. I'm a teacher and I'm appalled at the high sugar concoctions my students bring in every morning. Donuts, cereal, pop tarts anyone?

So, if you don't snack and you skip breakfast, you can eat two healthy meals every day and lose weight. Me, I have a very low metabolism and all seemed impossible till I got wind of IF and it is the only thing that works for me. When I'm too tired to cook I make a smoothie with the best quality protein powder I can afford.
Thanks for your post. I bought the book last week and been following for the last 4 days. It makes a lot of sense and I believe it's a good way to achieve results.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 PM

227 posts, read 248,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Orange Theory requires a pretty high base level of fitness. It isn't for beginners.
I've done their classes here and there before I had to take time off for medical issues. I got through the workout fine. It wasn't easy, but I got through it

Old 09-27-2017, 05:38 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,848,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Thanks for your post. I bought the book last week and been following for the last 4 days. It makes a lot of sense and I believe it's a good way to achieve results.
Yes I like that it's backed by a lot of research and I know that fasting can help with many conditions. Eight lbs gone since I started reading the book--yeah!

I think the main takeaway I got from it and the easiest and healthiest change most people could make is to stop snacking and to get the sugar out. Back in the bad old days when I used to binge on sugary foods, I discovered that I'd better not do that before driving or I'd be as dangerous as a drunk b/c my BS would drop out and I'd get so sleepy so fast I'd barely have time to pull over and take a nap.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:08 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,214,047 times
Spend your money on a fitbit, download the fitbit app, keep track of every calorie you eat. Make a goal and it helps you keep track. I also never realized what I was eating took so much exercise to burn those calories. Fitbit lets me know I need to work harder if I want to eat something that has alot of calories. I eat no more than 1250 calories a day. I walk 3-4 miles a day. I have lost 64 pounds so far I want to lose 10 more then I will do a maintain goal. I feel full all the time. I eat shredded wheat(no milk) for breakfast, a lean cuisine meal for lunch, salad, yogurt and granola for supper or a baked potato with sour cream, chilli. I eat popcorn for snacks or when I want junk food 1 cupcake. I do go to McDonalds usually once a week or taco bell with my grandkids.

Bottom line is cut down what you are eating, exercise no fancy diet, no special foods you have to purchase, no special exercise or fancy gyms. Just good old walking will get you where you need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss