Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:03 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,865,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
This is the type eating I am trying to do.
I just need to get better at making the 2 meals healthy because I prefer to
pick up takeout than cook.

Also figuring out to take my dinner left overs for lunch the next day, but won't have any way to heat them up.
Some folks like to cook for the week, like on Sunday afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 06:46 AM

227 posts, read 249,839 times
Thanks for the advice thus far; it makes sense. I'm glad I'm figuring it out before I spend thousands of dollars. Another thing this program loves to do is say that it helps or even heals migraines and/or other health issues. Do most programs say that? That also made me more prone to try it as I have frequent migraines, even though I see a neurologist.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM

1,195 posts, read 994,161 times
Anyone can lose 20 lbs in a month if they starve themself and exercise, but u would lose muscle mass with it. Its better to do this in 2 months. U will rrmain active and hold onto muscle needed to burn when the diet is over.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Thanks for the advice thus far; it makes sense. I'm glad I'm figuring it out before I spend thousands of dollars. Another thing this program loves to do is say that it helps or even heals migraines and/or other health issues. Do most programs say that? That also made me more prone to try it as I have frequent migraines, even though I see a neurologist.
These types of claims are usually unsubstantiated. Once you get your diet in order and start exercising you will begin to feel absolutely wonderful, trust me. I cannot say your headaches will go away, but you will have peace of mind knowing that you are not being taken advantage of by a company that preys on the self esteem of over weight people.

Last edited by Luckyd609; 09-19-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 09:27 AM

9,970 posts, read 7,875,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just read the Obesity Code and started on it right away. It couldn't be easier, but for those not inclined to read it, I'll summarize a bit.

*The fewer times you eat, the fewer times your insulin level will go up. Insulin is what packs on the fat and when you're fat you have insulin resistance, which means that you pack on even more fat.
*Lose all the between meal snacks, even the healthy ones. Apparently the idea that snacks are healthy was a conspiracy spawned by the food companies to get you to eat even more so they could make more money. You don't need snacks and snacking wasn't popular until the 70's and that's when our weight began to rise.
*Not only is fasting not bad for you, it's actually quite good for you. I can attest to this from my own experience and it's a tradition in many religions and cultures.
*Go ahead and skip breakfast. Most breakfast food is crapola anyway. I'm a teacher and I'm appalled at the high sugar concoctions my students bring in every morning. Donuts, cereal, pop tarts anyone?

So, if you don't snack and you skip breakfast, you can eat two healthy meals every day and lose weight. Me, I have a very low metabolism and all seemed impossible till I got wind of IF and it is the only thing that works for me. When I'm too tired to cook I make a smoothie with the best quality protein powder I can afford.
I haven't read the book, but did read lots of research on IR last year. I've done this for over a year and feel great, it fits for my lifestyle. I eat at 10 & 7. I always cook, simple meals, meat/seafood/eggs & vegetables, never hungry. I'll make triple portions so I can take them with me if needed. My son in law is a trainer and he does a 24 hour fast now and then. I started doing that a couple times a month as well.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:14 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,533,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just read the Obesity Code and started on it right away. It couldn't be easier, but for those not inclined to read it, I'll summarize a bit.

*The fewer times you eat, the fewer times your insulin level will go up. Insulin is what packs on the fat and when you're fat you have insulin resistance, which means that you pack on even more fat.
*Lose all the between meal snacks, even the healthy ones. Apparently the idea that snacks are healthy was a conspiracy spawned by the food companies to get you to eat even more so they could make more money. You don't need snacks and snacking wasn't popular until the 70's and that's when our weight began to rise.
*Not only is fasting not bad for you, it's actually quite good for you. I can attest to this from my own experience and it's a tradition in many religions and cultures.
*Go ahead and skip breakfast. Most breakfast food is crapola anyway. I'm a teacher and I'm appalled at the high sugar concoctions my students bring in every morning. Donuts, cereal, pop tarts anyone?

So, if you don't snack and you skip breakfast, you can eat two healthy meals every day and lose weight. Me, I have a very low metabolism and all seemed impossible till I got wind of IF and it is the only thing that works for me. When I'm too tired to cook I make a smoothie with the best quality protein powder I can afford.
Right on the money. Insulin is the key. Intermittent fasting is good. It keeps your glycogen levels low which burns fat and automatically keeps your calorie consumption low. Fasting is beneficial in many ways for mind and body. Multiple small meals a day is BAD advice for anybody. Some people say that it keeps metabolism up and the eating less slows down metabolism. Some say that not eating causes a loss of muscle mass? Wrong on both counts. I happen to like the 20/4 schedule. I eat one meal a day with snacks all within a 4 hour period. I do not do it every day, maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I also do low carb all of the time. It goes hand in hand. Some people do a 16/8 schedule. It's a little more lenient. As an example, they eat between 12pm and 8pm. This schedule would allow you two meals a day. Not hard at all for most.

Quotes from Dr. Jason Fung

Quote:
One myth is that the body will start eating muscle. Not true, says Fung, and a study in which subjects fasted on alternate days for 70 days found a 6 percent decrease in body mass but an 11.4 percent drop in body fat. Muscle mass didn’t change.
Quote:
Your basal metabolic rate goes up [while fasting],” Fung says. “In the caveman days, as soon as you had nothing to eat, the body would give us more energy. The body revs up metabolically.”
More here
Forget calorie counting — this is the real secret to weight loss

Old 09-19-2017, 12:12 PM

13,454 posts, read 15,583,715 times
Well multiple meals throughout the day works for me, especially during workdays. Have zero insulin issues. Regarding physical activity, I'm at my best physically when I've eaten meals before and after.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:25 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,578,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well multiple meals throughout the day works for me, especially during workdays. Have zero insulin issues. Regarding physical activity, I'm at my best physically when I've eaten meals before and after.
Yes, what you did worked for you. Other people may benefit from intermittent fasting as they may need to work around insulin issues.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:35 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,859,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Right on the money. Insulin is the key. Intermittent fasting is good. It keeps your glycogen levels low which burns fat and automatically keeps your calorie consumption low. Fasting is beneficial in many ways for mind and body. Multiple small meals a day is BAD advice for anybody. Some people say that it keeps metabolism up and the eating less slows down metabolism. Some say that not eating causes a loss of muscle mass? Wrong on both counts. I happen to like the 20/4 schedule. I eat one meal a day with snacks all within a 4 hour period. I do not do it every day, maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I also do low carb all of the time. It goes hand in hand. Some people do a 16/8 schedule. It's a little more lenient. As an example, they eat between 12pm and 8pm. This schedule would allow you two meals a day. Not hard at all for most.

Quotes from Dr. Jason Fung

More here
Forget calorie counting — this is the real secret to weight loss
There are numerous ways one can go to lose weight. Its up to the person who is actually on the diet to find what works for them. It does not matter how many studies are done, or how something worked so well for certain individuals. Everyone needs to find their own path.
Just by reading all the different approaches by people on this board who have been successful is a great indicator that there is no, "one" way.

Personally I could never do intermittent fasting. Its sounds torturous - to me. I found success a different way.
And if someone does well on small meals throughout the day then it is not BAD for them.

And Dr. Fung is trying to sell books. Not going to put too much stock into his suggestions.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:12 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,533,006 times
He doesn't give away his books and I seriously doubt anybody else does. That does not automatically discredit him.

The video is free.

Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss w/ Jason Fung, MD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss