Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 02:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,563,783 times

Advertisements

Wait. Who writes a book and then gives them away for free? Also, any doctor giving advice on TV or YouTube is engaging in self promotion. What is the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:11 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,560,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yes, what you did worked for you. Other people may benefit from intermittent fasting as they may need to work around insulin issues.
Yes. Wasn't I speaking about myself?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:15 PM

48,628 posts, read 35,093,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well multiple meals throughout the day works for me, especially during workdays. Have zero insulin issues. Regarding physical activity, I'm at my best physically when I've eaten meals before and after.

This is the same for me, though I have to only eat small amount before workouts (1 inch of oat cake, a falafel) or I feel sick.

Today (it's noon), 7am small slice of oatcake, post work out artichoke with less than tbs of may, and a quarter container of noonsa (addicted) yogurt. For lunch I will probably have leftover coconut curry soup with veggies.

I've always eaten small meals throughout the day, and in DH's recert for physical fitness instructor that was their recommendation too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Right on the money. Insulin is the key. Intermittent fasting is good. It keeps your glycogen levels low which burns fat and automatically keeps your calorie consumption low. Fasting is beneficial in many ways for mind and body. Multiple small meals a day is BAD advice for anybody. Some people say that it keeps metabolism up and the eating less slows down metabolism. Some say that not eating causes a loss of muscle mass? Wrong on both counts. I happen to like the 20/4 schedule. I eat one meal a day with snacks all within a 4 hour period. I do not do it every day, maybe 3 or 4 days a week. I also do low carb all of the time. It goes hand in hand. Some people do a 16/8 schedule. It's a little more lenient. As an example, they eat between 12pm and 8pm. This schedule would allow you two meals a day. Not hard at all for most.
I"m going to have to paraphrase this, but he said something to the effect of: Why would nature go to all the trouble of causing you to store fat in times of plenty if your body is just going to reach into your muscle mass when times are lean? Think about it--your body is a master at survival and it's not going to hurt itself if it can help it. Many of us here are Americans and most of us have never to rarely missed a meal but in times past it was common, even if a voluntary fast. Our heart is a muscle and our species would not have lasted very long if our body started to consume the good stuff first.

A couple of years ago I did a 21 day fast and I was absolutely thrilled with the result. I had just turned 56 and still had not hit menopause and this was due to fibroid tumors. My doc was pushing for surgery but I did the fast and went into instant menopause, which was very easy on me...hot flashes weren't too bad. The fibroids are gone.

According to fasting experts, the first thing the body does is reach in and consume things it doesn't need--fibroid tumors or fibrocystic breast tissue, old worn out blood cells, and best of all: plaques and tangles--think alzheimer's on that last one. You get a whole new immune system as well. Friends told me my skin glowed.

If fasting catches on, the food industry will freak. Hehe. Especially the snack food industry. We don't need no snacks.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 PM

227 posts, read 249,193 times
So for those who do several meals throughout the day or just two main meals, I'll just say I'm so used to snacking throughout the day and I know it's horrible. For whatever reason (and no test has come back that something is wrong), my sugar drops so quickly I start shaking out of nowhere. It's very random and happens every once in awhile. Again, I don't know what's going on there. I will say I'd rather drink my meals than actually eat. Can you have a healthy diet by mostly drinking smoothies or no? Please excuse any stupid questions...

Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
So for those who do several meals throughout the day or just two main meals, I'll just say I'm so used to snacking throughout the day and I know it's horrible. For whatever reason (and no test has come back that something is wrong), my sugar drops so quickly I start shaking out of nowhere. It's very random and happens every once in awhile. Again, I don't know what's going on there. I will say I'd rather drink my meals than actually eat. Can you have a healthy diet by mostly drinking smoothies or no? Please excuse any stupid questions...
I would say in part, yes, for a short period of time. But your smoothies should primarily be veggies, with a little fruit to make it palatable. Or you could make them with protein powder and add peanut butter (I like the dehydrated, less fat/sugar), cocoa (unsweetened), and then I add sugar free syrup (like almond) to taste.... I do not have a sweet tooth. Maybe one each, breakfast and lunch, and then a reasonable dinner with lean protein and veggies.

All kinds of things can go into smoothies, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, greens etc. I would track your calories on fitness pal while doing this so you have real time feedback on what you are consuming. I used to do that and eat whatever I was low on (proteins, carbs, etc.) for dinner.

This may be the easiest type of diet for you so you do not get overwhelmed.

I'm a snack person, so I keep ones on hand that are healthy and fulfill cravings. Pickles, microwave popcorn, beef jerky, etc.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,852,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernweh View Post
Step 1: Dump the overpriced program. You can do this.

Step 2: Just try to extend the amount of time that you put between meals and snacks. Aim to eat 3 meals a day with no snacks but don't jump all over yourself if you break down. Nuts make a good snack b/c they are so balanced and high in good fats and you can carry them in your car or gym bag or keep them in your desk at work. If you make all your snacks low carb, that will help a lot too and you soon won't need them. Honestly, you can lose that habit in a week.

I was getting where I was eating too often, which is I'm sure why I was gaining weight, and at first I was hungry in the morning so I just tried to put off eating as long as I could. Now I'm not hungry till noon so I just eat two meals/day. In other words, your stomach will adjust and quickly. And yes you can do healthy smoothies and I do it all the time. Use the best protein powder you can afford. I use Garden of Life Raw Organic, and I've used whey powder in the past but it was like concrete in my intestines.

Oh and a note to diabetics: I've been talking about fasting and Dr. Fung, but if you are on diabetic meds, please talk to your doc before fasting. It's very healing for diabetics but you must be monitored on your meds or you could bottom out.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
He doesn't give away his books and I seriously doubt anybody else does. That does not automatically discredit him.

The video is free.

Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss w/ Jason Fung, MD

And there are just as many other doctors touting their opinions on weight loss. Some work some do not. There is no one size fits all.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:34 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I"m going to have to paraphrase this, but he said something to the effect of: Why would nature go to all the trouble of causing you to store fat in times of plenty if your body is just going to reach into your muscle mass when times are lean? Think about it--your body is a master at survival and it's not going to hurt itself if it can help it. Many of us here are Americans and most of us have never to rarely missed a meal but in times past it was common, even if a voluntary fast. Our heart is a muscle and our species would not have lasted very long if our body started to consume the good stuff first.

A couple of years ago I did a 21 day fast and I was absolutely thrilled with the result. I had just turned 56 and still had not hit menopause and this was due to fibroid tumors. My doc was pushing for surgery but I did the fast and went into instant menopause, which was very easy on me...hot flashes weren't too bad. The fibroids are gone.

According to fasting experts, the first thing the body does is reach in and consume things it doesn't need--fibroid tumors or fibrocystic breast tissue, old worn out blood cells, and best of all: plaques and tangles--think alzheimer's on that last one. You get a whole new immune system as well. Friends told me my skin glowed.

If fasting catches on, the food industry will freak. Hehe. Especially the snack food industry. We don't need no snacks.
Okay, while this might be true, there is going to have to be some peer reviewed data to back it up. I looked online for any kind of data but could not find any reputable study to back those fantastical claims.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
S

I was getting where I was eating too often, which is I'm sure why I was gaining weight, and at first I was hungry in the morning so I just tried to put off eating as long as I could. Now I'm not hungry till noon so I just eat two meals/day. In other words, your stomach will adjust and quickly. And yes you can do healthy smoothies and I do it all the time. Use the best protein powder you can afford. I use Garden of Life Raw Organic, and I've used whey powder in the past but it was like concrete in my intestines.

How long have you been fasting and how much weight lost?

For the OP, I don't think there is any one way to lose weight, find what fits with your lifestyle and adjust from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss