Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:38 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,057,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Lots of room with all 3 of you to clean up your diets and replace the processed foods with
real-clean foods. If you are so inclined.

Skinny Cows, Popcorn, Lean Cuisines, Fruit bars, Yogurt Bars, Granola, Taco Bell , McDonalds
could all gradually be replaced with more nutritious whole real foods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
I go to co to McDonalds or taco Bell with my grandkids once a week after church.Grandson is autistic those are the only places he likes to eat. I like Lean Cuisine, pop corn, greek yogurt and granola. I never gained weight until I was on steroids for asthma 4 times a year. I was very sick. Steroids took their toll so did not being able to breathe, I can now walk 3-4 miles a day. Herbs not prescription meds helped me more than anything.

That seems to be working for you & that is what counts.

If anyone is offended by my post about changes "if you are so inclined",
I find that defensive and sensitive.
This forum is full of "take it or leave it advice"
Be confident in what you decide for yourself.

Not everything about eating is about weight and some are making the changes
towards power foods, less processed foods, less additives and such. Each person has to decide if that
is something they are trying to do or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:04 AM

13,452 posts, read 15,579,313 times
Quote:
That seems to be working for you & that is what counts.

If anyone is offended by my post about changes "if you are so inclined",
I find that defensive and sensitive.
This forum is full of "take it or leave it advice"
Be confident in what you decide for yourself.

Not everything about eating is about weight and some are making the changes
towards power foods, less processed foods, less additives and such. Each person has to decide if that
is something they are trying to do or not.
That's the thing about the internet. You can infer much from words. No, I'm not offended at all and I am very confident. I simply responded in kind and told you that I found no issue whatsoever with my eating plan. So I chose to "leave it". I didn't need the advice. that's the same as me telling you that you should eat out less and eat all of your food from home. just follow your own advice, as I wasn't soliciting it.

I'm fine with what I'm eating and while eating is more than weight, my eating plan is for life. And since it is for life and as an informed adult, I am ok with eating some processed foods as well as whole foods. It's neither realistic nor desirable for me to consume mostly "power foods". I don't need every single thing I put in my mouth to be a power food. I don't need to analyze every single thing either. I don't have time for that. I do however consume more fruits and veggies than I ever have and eat plenty of whole grains. As I said before, a Lean Cuisine during the workweek has yet to have any ill effect on me, weight or otherwise. What impacted me more than additives was being overweight and sedentary. that health risk was very real, so whatever it takes to no longer be in either of those states, I'll take it. Though to be sensible, of course, I wouldn't have a total crap diet.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's the thing about the internet. You can infer much from words. No, I'm not offended at all and I am very confident. I simply responded in kind and told you that I found no issue whatsoever with my eating plan. So I chose to "leave it". I didn't need the advice. that's the same as me telling you that you should eat out less and eat all of your food from home. just follow your own advice, as I wasn't soliciting it.

I'm fine with what I'm eating and while eating is more than weight, my eating plan is for life. And since it is for life and as an informed adult, I am ok with eating some processed foods as well as whole foods. It's neither realistic nor desirable for me to consume mostly "power foods". I don't need every single thing I put in my mouth to be a power food. I don't need to analyze every single thing either. I don't have time for that. I do however consume more fruits and veggies than I ever have and eat plenty of whole grains. As I said before, a Lean Cuisine during the workweek has yet to have any ill effect on me, weight or otherwise. What impacted me more than additives was being overweight and sedentary. that health risk was very real, so whatever it takes to no longer be in either of those states, I'll take it. Though to be sensible, of course, I wouldn't have a total crap diet.
This sentence makes you sound defensive and offended..You don't need to defend your eating.

"Just because I eat a Lean Cuisine at work for convenience does not invite a dietary finger wag, especially since i recall you eating out more than at home"

Old 09-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
This sentence makes you sound defensive and offended..You don't need to defend your eating.

"Just because I eat a Lean Cuisine at work for convenience does not invite a dietary finger wag, especially since i recall you eating out more than at home"
No, it shows the irony of your post. Regardless of how you intended to come across, it's funny in an ironic way that you took the three of us to task for our respective dietary choices when your own diet has shortcomings. just do what you need to do, period end of story.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No, it shows the irony of your post. Regardless of how you intended to come across, it's funny in an ironic way that you took the three of us to task for our respective dietary choices when your own diet has shortcomings. just do what you need to do, period end of story.
You managed to do it again. "took us to task,when your diet has shortcomings"
I gave factual feedback. It's not a competition. I welcome input about my eating,
it needs lots of improvement.

The forum is where people gather to get advice and give advice. The whole thread is about eating advice
and ideas. Not really the right place to tell others to "do what you need to do and don't comment about other posts"

Old 09-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You managed to do it again. "took us to task,when your diet has shortcomings"
I gave factual feedback. It's not a competition. I welcome input about my eating,
it needs lots of improvement.

The forum is where people gather to get advice and give advice. The whole thread is about eating advice
and ideas. Not really the right place to tell others to "do what you need to do and don't comment about other posts"
Listen, this is getting circular and because it is, I'm through. I tell it like it is. I didn't ask for any advice from you. Continue improving your own diet then.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,718,276 times
I have to agree with rialise.

Whether you intended to or not, your initial post came off as a lecture on the food journal entries we posted. "Lots of room for all 3 of you to clean up your diets..." I don't believe either of us was offended or felt sensitive about it at all. We both responded to you that, for us, at this point the goal is calorie management versus quality management. Ironically, YOU seemed to get offended by us responding to the point you were making about clean eating.

Of course, after that post, you indicated that you had issues with your own clean eating efforts, and so on. But the words you initially typed were taken by two people as a bit of a lecture. Again, I'm the first to admit that abuse frozen meals so I wouldn't even try to argue with you on it. My point back to you was that sometimes it takes baby steps and clean eating can come later, after obesity is tackled. That said, you seemed to take exception to anyone going back and forth with you on the matter.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have to agree with rialise.

Whether you intended to or not, your initial post came off as a lecture on the food journal entries we posted. "Lots of room for all 3 of you to clean up your diets..." I don't believe either of us was offended or felt sensitive about it at all. We both responded to you that, for us, at this point the goal is calorie management versus quality management. Ironically, YOU seemed to get offended by us responding to the point you were making about clean eating.

Of course, after that post, you indicated that you had issues with your own clean eating efforts, and so on. But the words you initially typed were taken by two people as a bit of a lecture. Again, I'm the first to admit that abuse frozen meals so I wouldn't even try to argue with you on it. My point back to you was that sometimes it takes baby steps and clean eating can come later, after obesity is tackled. That said, you seemed to take exception to anyone going back and forth with you on the matter.
I am sorry it came across that way..I didn't mean it that way.
All 3 diets I quoted are probably better than what I do most of the time.
I probably just have clean eating type goals drilled in my head as the
ultimate diet. My responses were trying to say that each person has to
have their own plan in their own timing that is the right balance
between healthy and practical for them. Apologies for coming off as
preachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss