Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 10:05 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times

Advertisements

OP, don't fret about the Lean Cuisines. I've done weight loss with them with no problem. In fact, I don't find their sodium content to be unreasonable at all. Now, if you go look at a Marie Callender's meal or Hungry Man, those sodium counts are incredible.

I eat Lean Cuisine's or Healthy Choice steamers almost exclusively for lunch. I cook dinner every night, but my dinners tend to be a bit more extravagent and it is the meal where I intake most of my calories. If I take my dinners for leftovers the next day at lunch, the calorie count is usually higher than what I want it to be. The Healthy Choice/Lean Cuisine meals get me right in the ballpark I need to be and I usually find them somewhat satisfying once I add a yogurt or other snack with them.

As to you plateau: one of the issues with doing a 1200 calorie per day diet (and I've been there) is that is it so low that not only are you losing fat, you are losing whatever natural muscle mass you have at a faster rate then if you were dieting at something like 1500 calories. You cannot even maintain your own muscle mass at such a calorie deficit. Once the muscle mass starts to go, you ability to burn slows down so that 1200 calories that worked well a few months ago, isn't so great anymore.

I know you have issues with movement but you probably need to work on muscle mass, due to your age and your strict caloric goals. You will end up "skinny-fat" and that's not good either.

I would probably incorporate some of the Leslie Sansone walking DVDs that you can do in the home, just to get moving. I would also try some body weight exercises that you can do (such as squats and push ups). Do the squats while talking on the phone. There's a ton of ideas on the internet for bodyweight exercises. Now, even if you can manage these, you really won't build anything at 1200 calories but you do need to work on not losing even more muscle mass which equates to calorie burn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:32 PM

1,195 posts, read 985,344 times
Yeah I've started some light resistance exercise to address my plateau. I do pushups, crunches, toe lifts (for shin muscles) and walking.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:01 AM

371 posts, read 365,152 times
finally broke my plateau, it took almost a month but i stuck with it. I started out with a 32 BMI and now 29 BMI. Still some work but I am chugging along.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
finally broke my plateau, it took almost a month but i stuck with it. I started out with a 32 BMI and now 29 BMI. Still some work but I am chugging along.
that's great news. people can see that it may take awhile but with effort you can break through a plateau.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM

ok this is confusing and frustrating. I have been on 1200cal since late june. Lost approx 25 pounds, but it stopped since sept. I did start to lose a pound here and there but now it's stopped again and going up. I mean honestly, how does that happen??? no weight loss for the past 6 weeks seems insane to me.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,457 times
If you are restricting your consumption to 1,200 calories per day and not losing weight, you are likely consuming more calories than you realize.

While I'm sure there will be a line of experts lining up to discuss glycemic index, or ketosis, or hormones, or smart fat cells, or, well, anything that has helped them frame their weight loss experiences, I would counter that any consistently achieved calorie deficit will result in weight loss.

I would also suggest that one reason why your initial weight loss impacted your ability to lose additional weight is, that whatever your strategy, when you were heavier you also naturally burned more calories. As your weight dropped, your deficit decreased and has likely disappeared at this point.

Conduct a hard audit of your consumption to see if you're off. Even a daily calorie deficit of 300 will yield an approximate three-pound per month reduction, if it's accurate.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:58 AM

Well I use fitness pal, while I know it's not 100 percent accurate, how can anything be? Most food I eat has the calories on the labels except for fruits and veggies. Even still with some wiggle room the highest it would go would be 1400 a day. I have had people tell me to consume up to 1500 a day and I try not to do that. I try to stay 1200-1300 a day. Now the hormonal side, I am considered post menopausal and most women like me do struggle with weight loss but I dropped the first 20 painlessly and yes I was heavier and suddenly decrease calories so it's a no brainier I lost, but this is irritating. I tried looking up diet counselors but their qualifications were iffy and then it lead me to diet clinics. Well I don't want to pay someone 1000's of dollars to tell me to eat more veggies. SO I am stuck here and honestly trying because it's for my liver.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:07 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Well I use fitness pal, while I know it's not 100 percent accurate, how can anything be? Most food I eat has the calories on the labels except for fruits and veggies. Even still with some wiggle room the highest it would go would be 1400 a day. I have had people tell me to consume up to 1500 a day and I try not to do that. I try to stay 1200-1300 a day. Now the hormonal side, I am considered post menopausal and most women like me do struggle with weight loss but I dropped the first 20 painlessly and yes I was heavier and suddenly decrease calories so it's a no brainier I lost, but this is irritating. I tried looking up diet counselors but their qualifications were iffy and then it lead me to diet clinics. Well I don't want to pay someone 1000's of dollars to tell me to eat more veggies. SO I am stuck here and honestly trying because it's for my liver.
What are your stats (current height, weight, age)? I am also menopausal and VERY slowly losing weight on an average daily intake of about 1600-1700 lbs (plus I do some jogging 3 times a week). When I say slow, I mean SLOW--like 1/2 lb. per month.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What are your stats (current height, weight, age)? I am also menopausal and VERY slowly losing weight on an average daily intake of about 1600-1700 lbs (plus I do some jogging 3 times a week). When I say slow, I mean SLOW--like 1/2 lb. per month.

I will PM you.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Have you started or stopped any new meds?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss