Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 04:28 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I am currently 6'3 260, but even when I was about 225-230, which isn't that overweight for my height, I still have a belly. Of course, my gut is big now, but I want to get back down to 225 to 230. Do I need to go low carb in order to flatten my belly? I don't need a six pack, just a flat stomach. I know it is about calories in, calories out, but people have been telling me to cut carbs but I enjoy white bread, pasta, and white rice too much. I don't really eat a lot of white bread or pasta, though. How do you get rid of a gut? Should I lift weights while trying to lose weight? I have been advised to do that also but want to know what CD thinks of what I have been told.
By losing fat. If you want to weigh 225, hit the weights so you have less fat at 225.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 04:33 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
How can you say eat fruit and no sugar? That doesn't exist.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I love red meat, but I thought it was considered unhealthy. You might end up with heart problems from all that fat.
I love beef too, very much so. 96/4 lean ground beef is almost as lean as chicken. The fat and heart disease debate is ongoing and I certainly wouldn't regularly consume fatty cuts of red meat but lean meat doesn't have a lot of fat ( though fat be damned I'll never eat a lean hamburger again :/) I limit my consumption to about 12 oz per week due to the fact that red meat takes a while to process in your gut. There is a link between overconsumption of red meat and colorectal cancer and given how my gut processes red meat I can see why. Tmi I know but red meat causes the smelliest flatulence and bowel movements - coworkers at my job have killed me.

Right now I'm eating 5 oz lean ground beef with taco seasoning over a bed of 3/4 c jasmine rice, 2 c broccoli, 1/4c pink beans. I'll be full for at least eight hours.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
You don't state your age, but a gut in someone over 50 or so is for all intents and purposes, for keeps.

But, if you are still physically able to tolerate 60 minutes of moderate non-stop exercise (treadmill, 3.5 - 4.0 mph, incline at zero and gradually, over weeks raised to about 5 degrees, ultimately for 60 minutes - 4 times a week), you can surely lose that weight and most all of that gut. Obviously, you must motivate yourself. No starting or stopping - once on that gizmo, stay on it. (it'll take a few days to get yourself going of course - but most can).

The carb thing is of utmost importance. At your weight/desired weight (which should be 210 or so) No more than 1200 calories/day X 6 weeks. It's very doable. You ARE eating way too much - I estimate 2500 cals/day. Unless you are digging ditches for 8 hours a day you have no business eating much more than 1500 - 1800 carefully selected cals/day when at your desired weight.

Absolute no-no's: NO alcohol! Nada. You must go strictly on the wagon for at least twelve weeks. No pasta, no pizza, very little bread, no snackfoods or fast foods of any type (maybe one pretzel) and no sugar sweetened drinks of any kind - sugar OK in coffee or tea. You may eat a banana - even a peach or apple or orange about 20 minutes before treadmill time (adviseable). NO restaurants! Their portions are way to big, especially if you seek to lose weight.

You are way overweight and are big to begin with - and have acquired a lot of visceral fat - so the unfettered truth is that you are going to have to make weight loss a major effort, to the exclusion of a few things. But that belly is very likely the last thing to go. So you'll need to overshoot.

Remember - that belly will be the last thing to go. And by the way, your liver put that fat there - not your GI tract (except indirectly). The above is designed to re-program your liver above all else.

(do not waste your time with non-aerobic things like weight lifting, push ups, etc; you'll not have the time or energy for that, and they do not burn fat). And skip the "go for a walk" thing. Nobody ever lost any weight doing that.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 12-28-2017 at 10:16 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 AM

Actually yes you should "waste your time" doing non aerobic activity such as weightlifting. The recommendation from leading authorities state that you should do thirty minutes daily of aerobic activity and strength training at least twice per week. As a man who has the benefit of a better metabolism and testosterone you are wasting your ability by just doing cardio. Sixty minutes is absolutely not needed and that is a waste of time unless you are elderly imho. For cardio what you want to do is gain stamina to be more efficient. I spend forty minutes max doing cardio and that's four days a week, no more. Walking on an incline is good but it's better and more efficient tim wise to jog and ultimately run (if you are physically able). Also since you are a guy 1200 is absolutely too low intake wise. I'm a woman and I never went that low. For starters download a fitness app like lose it or my fitness pal to find out how much you need to eat to lose weight. My husband is a tall and brawny guy and eats about 1900-2000 and has lost weight.

I lost 70 lbs more than what you need to lose and I did eat by diet and exercise including lifting. I like lifting, i feel strong and energetic. And I looked firmer before I even lost any weight on the scale. If I didn't lift id probably look like a deflated balloon exactly what I didn't want to look like after I lost weight. Choice is yours if that's the look you want.

I didn't go on any special diet regime either. I follow calorie management and behavior modification. It's the behavior that ultimately needs to change not quick fixes and deprivation diets. I eat from all macros. I simply eat less. I've found that depriving myself only encourages obsessive behaviors when it comes to food and would ultimately lead to failure. And if you start really getting in to fitness carbs are a great fuel source. No way would I get that energy from eating bulky heavy lower carb food.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
You don't state your age, but a gut in someone over 50 or so is for all intents and purposes, for keeps.

But, if you are still physically able to tolerate 60 minutes of moderate non-stop exercise (treadmill, 3.5 - 4.0 mph, incline at zero and gradually, over weeks raised to about 5 degrees, ultimately for 60 minutes - 4 times a week), you can surely lose that weight and most all of that gut. Obviously, you must motivate yourself. No starting or stopping - once on that gizmo, stay on it. (it'll take a few days to get yourself going of course - but most can).

The carb thing is of utmost importance. At your weight/desired weight (which should be 210 or so) No more than 1200 calories/day X 6 weeks. It's very doable. You ARE eating way too much - I estimate 2500 cals/day. Unless you are digging ditches for 8 hours a day you have no business eating much more than 1500 - 1800 carefully selected cals/day when at your desired weight.

Absolute no-no's: NO alcohol! Nada. You must go strictly on the wagon for at least twelve weeks. No pasta, no pizza, very little bread, no snackfoods or fast foods of any type (maybe one pretzel) and no sugar sweetened drinks of any kind - sugar OK in coffee or tea. You may eat a banana - even a peach or apple or orange about 20 minutes before treadmill time (adviseable). NO restaurants! Their portions are way to big, especially if you seek to lose weight.

You are way overweight and are big to begin with - and have acquired a lot of visceral fat - so the unfettered truth is that you are going to have to make weight loss a major effort, to the exclusion of a few things. But that belly is very likely the last thing to go. So you'll need to overshoot.

Remember - that belly will be the last thing to go. And by the way, your liver put that fat there - not your GI tract (except indirectly). The above is designed to re-program your liver above all else.

(do not waste your time with non-aerobic things like weight lifting, push ups, etc; you'll not have the time or energy for that, and they do not burn fat). And skip the "go for a walk" thing. Nobody ever lost any weight doing that.
There is some fantastically bad advice on this post. First off, everyone is different, so dictating what someone should or should not eat is pointless. Eat less move more. Focus on healthy, whole foods. Lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, vegetables, etc...

Resistance training and weight lifting are extremely important. They burn just as many calories and sometimes more than aerobic exercise. Plus when you build muscle you help your metabolism burn more efficiently.
Ideally cardio and weights should be a part of an exercise plan. If you could only do one, weights would be more effective.
Walking is a great thing to do regardless of calorie burn. Anytime you can move your body you are doing something healthy.

Also, bodies lose weight differently. Some may lose weight from the belly first - like me. Or it may come off hips first, or legs. Its very individual.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There is some fantastically bad advice on this post. First off, everyone is different, so dictating what someone should or should not eat is pointless. Eat less move more. Focus on healthy, whole foods. Lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, vegetables, etc...

Resistance training and weight lifting are extremely important. They burn just as many calories and sometimes more than aerobic exercise. Plus when you build muscle you help your metabolism burn more efficiently.
Ideally cardio and weights should be a part of an exercise plan. If you could only do one, weights would be more effective.
Walking is a great thing to do regardless of calorie burn. Anytime you can move your body you are doing something healthy.

Also, bodies lose weight differently. Some may lose weight from the belly first - like me. Or it may come off hips first, or legs. Its very individual.

There are always a few "you gotta pump iron" replies on these posts. I have 3 degrees (2 of them doctorates) in the REAL study of human metabolism, earned pre affirmative action days. So I know what I'm talking about - right down to the molecule and everything surrounding it.

He has no time or specific need for weight training at this particular time. He doesn't say how old he is, but he should have pumped iron when he was 18 - 25. If he did that, he'd be less likely have the gut he has. That's when you pump iron, and that gut is one reason why.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-01-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-01-2018, 10:59 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,613 times
Quote:
There are always a few "you gotta pump iron" replies on these posts. I have 3 degrees (2 of them doctorates) in the REAL study of human metabolism, earned pre affirmative action days. So I know what I'm talking about - right down to the molecule and everything surrounding it.

He has no time or specific need for weight training at this particular time. He doesn't say how old he is, but he should have pumped iron when he was 18 - 25. If he did that, he'd be less likely have the gut he has. That's when you pump iron, and that gut is one reason why.
I did pump iron when I was 18-25 and still do. I am 35 now. So are you saying I shouldn’t be lifting?

Old 01-02-2018, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Haha I don't have all those degrees (don't need them). Who gives an eff anyway. Same with you earning said degrees before affirmative action. Take your politics elsewhere. I do pump iron...for the first time in my 40sactually...and you are definitely wrong. Pumping iron along with cardio has given me an awesome body at an older age, hell it'd give me an awesome body at any age. i have no gut, bat wings, or saddlebags, and that's because I bust my ass in the gym and lift weights as well as cardio. I eat a balanced diet that's definitely more than 1200 calories. Your degrees mean bumpkus, as I've lost over seventy pounds and never ate such a ridiculous overly restrictive diet. You're telling a grown man to eat 1200 calories??? What the hell?? If you have as much knowledge as you say you have then you wouldn't post such nonsense.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:37 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Haha I don't have all those degrees (don't need them). Who gives an eff anyway. Same with you earning said degrees before affirmative action. Take your politics elsewhere. I do pump iron...for the first time in my 40sactually...and you are definitely wrong. Pumping iron along with cardio has given me an awesome body at an older age, hell it'd give me an awesome body at any age. i have no gut, bat wings, or saddlebags, and that's because I bust my ass in the gym and lift weights as well as cardio. I eat a balanced diet that's definitely more than 1200 calories. Your degrees mean bumpkus, as I've lost over seventy pounds and never ate such a ridiculous overly restrictive diet. You're telling a grown man to eat 1200 calories??? What the hell?? If you have as much knowledge as you say you have then you wouldn't post such nonsense.
^^^^^

I'm a 1/4" taller than the OP's 6' 3", and I'm () 'Old enough to live in a 55+ community by myself, but too young for Medicare'.

I weighed myself in the early evening on March 8th, 2017. I had been indulging in one large piece of pizza probably four times a week, a jumbo cookie at either Starbucks, Panera, or Barnes and Noble Cafe a couple of times a week, etc. I'd gained (I'm guessing...as I try to recall) probably about 20 lbs from the late Spring of 2016 to that point in March of 2017 when the scale read....252 lbs. That particular weight alarmed me because I had crossed the threshold of being within 30 lbs of my top weight (281 in the mid 2000s....and I've weighed 179 as recently as mid December of 2009, and weighed 178 at 6' 3" a week or so after I turned 21 (when my doctor wrote 'Well Young Man' as the comment that accompanied that physical)).

I set out to cut down on carbs, eliminate pizza and cookies (which I did), and up my protein intake as a percentage of total calories. I changed my snacking from peanuts to hard boiled eggs. I also have incorporated low sugar, high quality protein bars (20 grams of protein, 190 calories) into my diet. I'd have to look at my records (I've been writing down all of my calories since that March 2017 weigh in), but I don't think I've gone under 1,200 calories in a day during this time, and I'd guess the number of days I've gone over 2,000 calories = under 5% of the total number of days since March 8th 2017. My Vitamin regimen = 4 x 500mg of Vitamin C, 3 x 2,000IU of Vitamin D3, and one Senior multivitamin. I tend to carry extra weight around my middle, neck, and face. Since March, I've walked a bit more, but haven't been 'working out'. I weighed myself in the early evening on 12/31/17 (on the same scale as the March 'weigh in)', and weighed 202 lbs.....a loss of 50 lbs in 297 days and 1 hour. I want to get down to around 180-185, and most of the weight charts I've seen put a normal weight range for 6' 3" (at least for a 'small' range wrist measurement) at between 170 and 199 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss